Sign in to follow this  
Araiguma_Rascal

Hakuho's non-promotion

Some people thought Hakuho deserved promotion after the last tournament, but I think that his performance this tournament has proven that he is not ready yet.

(Blushing...)

Mind you, I am not anti-Hakuho, and I think he will be ready eventually. Just not yet.

Edited by Araiguma_Rascal

on the other hand i think that IF he was a Yokozuna his performance would be perfect ....

Edited by aderechelsea

Hakuho will never become a yokozuna, unless Asashoryu retires during his active career.

i hope you know this is a bit over the top ....

(Blushing...) ...but who has a chance to become a new Yokozuna?

In this time I think, that only Hakuho has a chance, but he must be steadily in the situation to win against the top fighters.

I hope he will create it in the next year.

on the other hand i think that IF he was a Yokozuna his performance would be perfect ....

Seriously? Why would he do any better because he is Yokozuna? If anything he would probaly do worse because he have a letdown. He does not seem to have the determination or concentration to be consistant enough. If they had promoted him he would still be the same person. If he was truly yokozuna material, he would be proving it now by winning the matches he is supposed to win.

However, I disagree that Asashouryuu is the one stopping him. It is losing to lower-ranked rikishis that is stopping him.

(Blushing...) ...but who has a chance to become a new Yokozuna?

In this time I think, that only Hakuho has a chance, but he must be steadily in the situation to win against the top fighters.

If it is not Hakuho, then I think Baruto will be the next candidate.

Seriously? Why would he do any better because he is Yokozuna?

I think adere means that being on course for a 10-5 record would be perfectly fine in a yokozuna's first basho.

I guess it must be 12/3 or 13/2. B-) What a shame for Hakuho ! (I was stupid...)

Well, he's young and he will have many opportunities in the future, but.... :-/ I am very disappointed !

B-) ...but who has a chance to become a new Yokozuna?

I honestly don't think we will see another yokozuna in the next 10 years....maybe longer.

anything in double digits is ok for a yokozuna as long as it is not a continuous under 12 wins ....

don't forget that he can still finish with 11 wins or so. That wouldn't be THAT disappointing for a Yokozuna hatsu-basho.

anyway ... i meant thet he would have less stress, since he would have accomplished all that he could possibly have.

I honestly don't think we will see another yokozuna in the next 10 years....maybe longer.

Yeah, because nobody's come even close to promotion since Asashoryu ascended.

Oh, wait...Kaio, Tochiazuma and Hakuho all missed it by only one win, so that's three near-misses in just the last two years. Maybe it's not that hopeless after all.

At least you're being consistent with your "Asashoryu will win 100 yusho" prediction, I guess.

Edited by Asashosakari

I think Hakuho's suffering from too much anticipation, and not enough focus on his bouts as they come each day. He's looking ahead to his sanyaku bouts, his tsunatori, his parade, and not concentrating on beating the young turks.

10... Why not 20 or even 100 years - if we are dreaming everything is possible. One even the most dominant rikishi can't stop any challenger who will win all remainings bouts. Asa didn't beat Hakuho during this year - so what? He is able to win Yusho because he kicks everybody else. Asashoryu isn't main problem for Hakuho.

Edited by Shimpu

10... Why not 20 or even 100 years - if we are dreaming everything is possible. One even the most dominant rikishi can't stop any challenger who will win all remainings bouts. Asa didn't beat Hakuho during this year - so what? He is able to win Yusho because he kicks everybody else. Asashoryu isn't main problem for Hakuho.

My impression is that Hakuho can win the big important bouts, but is unable to focus enough on the bouts that he should win without too many problems.

Asa on the other hand will bulldoze, slap or throw everybody out of the ring who is not a big boy.

Asa dominates so much that he really sticks head and shoulders above anyone else. Hakuho does not (yet?) have that trait.

Wow! Doesn't Asa already have the record for most bashos as the sole Yokozuna? His dominance has been amazing but this will not last forever. I think somebody will be promoted in the next 2 years. Hakuho and Bart are probably the most likely.

I think the author of this thread is very right. Hakuho wouldn't have been able to stand up to his Yokozuna rank. His performance would have been a little better, but not as good as a real Yokozuna should be. I'm also not anti-Hakuho.

I think the author of this thread is very right. Hakuho wouldn't have been able to stand up to his Yokozuna rank. His performance would have been a little better, but not as good as a real Yokozuna should be. I'm also not anti-Hakuho.

Consistently getting 13-2 and 12-3 results is very good. Even Yokozunas should not be asahmed of those results. Hakuho's problem is that this is not good enough for a promotion.

You can compare this to becoming an Ozeki: if is more difficult to become Ozeki than to stay Ozeki.

At this moment, Asa rules supreme. Hakuho would have made Yokozuna already if not for Asa.

Hakuho would have made Yokozuna already if not for Asa.
Interesting statement. Now, if You replace all of Hakuho's wins over Asashoryu this year with losses against some random Maegashira, will You still think so?

My impression is that Hakuho can win the big important bouts, but is unable to focus enough on the bouts that he should win without too many problems.

Indeed. That's the point.

Consistently getting 13-2 and 12-3 results is very good. Even Yokozunas should not be asahmed of those results. Hakuho's problem is that this is not good enough for a promotion.

You can compare this to becoming an Ozeki: if is more difficult to become Ozeki than to stay Ozeki.

At this moment, Asa rules supreme. Hakuho would have made Yokozuna already if not for Asa.

Yes, with the absence of Asashoryu, Hakuho would have probably become Yokozuna already, maybe in Natsu or Nagoya basho. But don't forget, around Natsu, when Hakuho reigned supreme, Asashoryu was not the only guy absent. At that time, Tochiazuma was injured, so was Kotooshu, so was Kaio. I don't know if Kaio would ever get his real sumo back, but I'm sure that by the end of 2006/start of 2007, Kotooshu and Tochiazuma would be back in tip-top form, so if Hakuho was Yokozuna and Asashoryu was... dead or abducted by aliens... , Yokozuna Hakuho would have a very tough time defending his dominance. So without Asashoryu, we would probably have 3 or 4 yokozuna altogether by the end of 2007. All in theory, of course.

Yeah, because nobody's come even close to promotion since Asashoryu ascended.

Oh, wait...Kaio, Tochiazuma and Hakuho all missed it by only one win, so that's three near-misses in just the last two years. Maybe it's not that hopeless after all.

At least you're being consistent with your "Asashoryu will win 100 yusho" prediction, I guess.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades...the latter of which will be necessary to keep Asashoryu from winning yusho over two consecutive basho to make a convincing promotion case.

Asashoryu has still not reached his prime yet. The best is still years away. 2005 will be nothing compared to what happens in 2010.

I think Hakuho's suffering from too much anticipation, and not enough focus on his bouts as they come each day. He's looking ahead to his sanyaku bouts, his tsunatori, his parade, and not concentrating on beating the young turks.
LOL, I think you're right. Hope this brings him down to earth.

LOL, I think you're right. Hope this brings him down to earth.

Hmm, I wonder if they already cancelled this parade... B-)