Sign in to follow this  
yamaneko

How many in the USA watching this Basho?

Just curious, wanted to take a quick poll of "my fellow americans" who are sumo fans, keeping up with this basho.

1. Where do you live?

2. How are you watching it? (banzuke.com, satellite, cable, etc.)

3. Cost of watching it?

4. Do you stay up to watch it live, or record/watch the next day?

As for me:

1. Los Angeles, CA

2. Time Warner cable/ Channel: TV Japan

3. Normally its 25 dollars a month, but it turn it on right before the basho and turn it off right after, so am only paying about 13 for the tournament.

4. Comes on at 12 AM my time to 2 AM, so i do watch it live.

1. Where do you live? North East Tennessee

2. How are you watching it? banzuke.com

3. Cost of watching it? 0

4. Do you stay up to watch it live, or record/watch the next day? After I get home from work the next day.

Excellent. Part of my reason in putting this here was to hopefully get some "lurkers" more active in posting :)

I bet youre pleased so far with kotomitsuki's performance?

Any others out there watching this basho in the US of A?

1. Colorado

2. Stream when I have insomnia, otherwise Banzuke.com

3. Cable internet connection (which I would have anyway)

4. See #2

1. Where do you live? - near Detroit, Michigan

2. How are you watching it? (banzuke.com, satellite, cable, etc.) - Stream, and banzuke.com. I just found out that I can get TV Japan through my cable company, so I'm considering doing that in the future. At $30/month, it is pretty pricey for one channel, though. I don't pay that much for my entire current cable service!

3. Cost of watching it? - $0

4. Do you stay up to watch it live, or record/watch the next day? I work nights, so when I'm at work I watch it live, when the boss isn't around, when I can get on the stream.

1. Clinton Township (Near Detroit)

2. Japan TV (comcast)

3. Too much... ^_^ 29.95$/mo

4. Record on DVR...work night shifts. Watch the webpages from work ^_^

Well, I'm an American, but not in the states right now. I'm living in Japan so I get it on T.V. Just the Japanese version. We don't get the English translation. Living in Yokosuka.

1. Brooklyn, NY = a very nice place to live :-)

2. Stream when I have insomnia, otherwise Banzuke.com
2. Ditto

3. 0. My DSL is very cheap, and a work expense since I freelance, so I consider the stream and downloads to be free.

4. If I don't stay up for the stream, I watch Dale's clips the first moment that I have free the next day. But right now I am still waiting for the first bouts to be posted - no worries, we love you Dale (Blushing...)

*disclaimer: We would probably pay for Japanese tv since my wife is from Kobe, but have decided to go without any tv as we have a 2-yr-old boy. Tv for the most part is bad for the brain.

Guest Ganryu

>1. Where do you live?

Atlanta, GA. Not too much sumo exposure around here. (Blushing...)

>2. How are you watching it? (banzuke.com, satellite, cable, etc.)

TV Japan, through Dish Network. We had to get a special 25" satellite installed on our balcony to pick up the signal here. It's enormous.

>3. Cost of watching it?

$25/month for TV Japan. Very extravagent.

>4. Do you stay up to watch it live, or record/watch the next day?

DVR about 98-99% of the time. I've watched it live maybe once or twice while I still happened to be awake/drunk. :-)

1. Atlanta GA (only for a year otherwise Madison, WI)

2. Banzuke.com

3. Cost 0

4. I watch it over lunch or whenever I get time.

1. American not living in the US. Currently in Beijing, originall from Kalamazoo MI.

2. Combination stream and Banzuke.com

3. free

4. live on the dtream or after work which is a couple hours after the days matches end

1. Where do you live? Traverse City, Michigan

2. How are you watching it? (banzuke.com, satellite, cable, etc.) Dish Network - My cable company (Charter Communication) does not offer TVJapan .

3. Cost of watching it? $30.00 a month

4. Do you stay up to watch it live, or record/watch the next day? I record and watch it the first thing the next morning!! (Whistling...) Comes on live at 3AM~5AM my time.

1. Where do you live? Brighton, IL USA

2. How are you watching it? (banzuke.com, satellite, cable, etc.) TV Japan through DISH

3. Cost of watching it? essentially $30 ($25 for the month and $5 to turn it off after Basho)

4. Do you stay up to watch it live, or record/watch the next day? Occasionally stay up to watch it, but usually watch the recording the nest day. It doesn't start until 2AM.

Kathy DeShong

Brighton, IL USA

Guest Sanyouchuuyama

1. Where do you live? The San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles CA

2. How are you watching it? TVJapan off of my Time Warner Cable service

3. Cost of watching it? $25 month

4. Do you stay up to watch it live, or record/watch the next day? I usually stay up and watch it live which is why I've learned to hate daylight savings time. If I have to get up incredibly early then, and only then, will I give in to sleep and tape it.

I'm another American living in Japan.

1. Where do you live? From Duluth, Minnesota living in Yonago, Tottori, Japan

2. How are you watching it? On T.V

3. Cost of watching it? Free as I don't pay the NHK fees. (In 5 1/2 years, a collector has only come to my apartment two times and I told them I didn't have a TV both times)

4. Do you stay up to watch it live, or record/watch the next day? Watch it live, or if I miss it because of work, I watch the 25 min. condensed version, called Sumo Digest, at 12 or 1 ish at night (the times vary.)

Hi, I'm not an american and so you can think that I'm false here. But otherwise I think it could be interesting, how people from other countries are looking the basho.

1. I live in a little town named Koethen in the middle of Gemany

2. I watch the livestream over the internet on Nihon Sumo Kyokai an load the videos from banzuke.com

3. It's free

4. When the streaming from the Makuuchi Division started then it is 9 in the morning and so I can watch live

I hope this was interesting to hear, waht we do in Germany.

Contrary to you in Germany we have the problem, that we have no other chance to watch it live.

No Pay T.V. where I could see it live. I hope it will be better next time.

1. Where do you live? Duluth, Minnesota, just back from living in Fukushima prefecture for two years.

3. Cost of watching it? $0

4. Do you stay up to watch it live, or record/watch the next day? I watch the video clips the next day after Dale has posted them. Thank you!

I'm living in Japan so I get it on T.V. Just the Japanese version. We don't get the English translation.

Unless you choose not to, you should have been able to listen in to Doreen and Hiro today if you are in Japan watching NHK on the secondary audio.

I'm living in Japan so I get it on T.V. Just the Japanese version. We don't get the English translation.

Unless you choose not to, you should have been able to listen in to Doreen and Hiro today if you are in Japan watching NHK on the secondary audio.

Isn't the bilingual feed on NHK-BS only?

WHERE: Silverdale, WA, USA

HOW: TV Japan - Dish Network

COST: Somewhere between $0 - $31 mo (we watch non-sumo programming, too)

WHEN: Record live broadcast at night and watch next morning before breakfast.

1. Where do you live? Duluth, Minnesota, just back from living in Fukushima prefecture for two years.

3. Cost of watching it? $0

4. Do you stay up to watch it live, or record/watch the next day? I watch the video clips the next day after Dale has posted them. Thank you!

Murasakiayame, didn't you see my previous post? I'm from Duluth, as well. Pretty cool, two people from the same (fairly small, 85,000) city posting on this thread.

(Clapping wildly...)

This is excellent. Didnt know the response was going to be so great. Hopefully some of you guys start posting regularly!

For you Atlanta people, are any of you going to the Georgia Sumo Open next Saturday? ill be flying out there for that, just for the day.

Sanyouchuuyama, you interested in DOING sumo at all? You should hook up with our club

Southern California, been following sumo since 1992. I've been relying on banzuke.com for several years now, ever since Sumo Digest was taken off the air in the late 1990s. For the Nagoya basho I was happy to download the bouts from the French site

http://www.info-sumo.net/info/modules.php?name=Downloads

I don't speak French so I don't know what's going on with that site this basho, but the movies of the bouts are nowhere to be found as of the 9th day of the basho.

Guest Ganryu
This is excellent. Didnt know the response was going to be so great. Hopefully some of you guys start posting regularly!

For you Atlanta people, are any of you going to the Georgia Sumo Open next Saturday? ill be flying out there for that, just for the day.

Sanyouchuuyama, you interested in DOING sumo at all? You should hook up with our club

Thanks for bringing this to my attn! My gf and I were already planning to go to Japan Fest, so we'll make sure to get there early on Sat. for the sumo.

Any other Atlanta people going? This is my first Japan Fest, but I hear it's one of the most major Japan-related events in the Southeast.

Sorry everyone else, a little off-topic here (Dohyo-iri...)

My first too. im flying out to compete in middleweight and openweight at the tournament. You should get in the tournament too.

Looks like almost everyone watches it on banzuke...You guys should try to get tv japan sometime though too, at least one basho. To see the bouts large and perfect resolution is priceless.