Satoyama!

#2 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 19:28

Doitsuyama posted a picture of a bunch of familiar faces with the following comment:

I looked in the 2004.05 Sumo Magazine I acquired with the notable help of Adachinoryu, and on page 22 and page 23 is a photo piece on this years' Sumo school, with special emphasis on shin-deshi coming from college.

Here is a group picture of most of the recent college entrants:

Posted Image

Front row from the right:
Shiraishi (Nichidai - Mihogaseki), Jk9w 5-2
Ōnishi (Nittaidai - Oguruma), Jk27w 7-0, Jd23e 6-1
Asahisakari (Asahidai - Dewanoumi), Jk29w 7-0
Satoyama (Nichidai - Mihogaseki), Jk10w 5-0-2

Back row from the right:
Kurazono (Nichidai - Mihogaseki), Jk29w 6-1, Jd55e 6-1
Kimurayama (Tōyōdai - Kasugano), Jk12e 6-1
Takamifuji (Azumazeki), Ms15Td 5-2, Ms9e 4-3
Isobe (Tōyōdai - Irumagawa), Jk15w 5-2
Yamamoto (Nichidai - Shikoroyama), Jk13e 4-3
Saitō (Sendai - Ōnomatsu), Jk21w 4-3
Ogurayama (Daitōbunkadai - Musashigawa), Jk23e 5-2

I gathered together some posts about Satoyama since his debut in ozumo.

Feb 11th 2004 by Kintamayama:

2 new ex-college recruits have joined Mihogaseki-beya yesterday. They are both from Nichidai University, and have joined Mihogaseki because they like Hamanoshima, an ex- Nichidai rikishi himself. One is Satoyama (22, 175/113), a 4th year graduate. Prefers hidari-yotsu. He participated in last year's National Students' individual something or other(全国学生個人体重別選手権無差別級を制した) and I gather he did well.

Zentoryu posted some follow-up to Doitsuyama's original top prospects post on 6th of January 2005.

Satoyama:

2004.05 Jk10w 5-0
2004.07 Jd92w 6-1
2004.09 Jd15e 7-0
2004.11 Sd21e 6-1
2005.01 Ms41w

Yet another college entrant from the class of Natsu 2004. Only two losses in his career so far. He makes his Makushita debut in Hatsu.

Susanoo wrote about Satoyama's debut basho in April this year like this:

"Although Satoyama is also expected, success in life is behind for a while by injury.
The injury was covered by Keiko with Baruto. "

The injury was a left knee ligament damage just before his first basho in Natsu 2004 and hence he has that 5-0 missing two days.

Susanoo continued in April this year with a comment:

"I do not expect that Satoyama is inferior to Shiraishi or Baruto in a present stage.
Too, I think that that injury decreased his capability a little. "

--

Well Satoyama went 6-1 in makushita not hitting any walls at all. While writing an article about the lower division guys I did some more analysis on Satoyama's sumo. He always impressed me with his "perfect" sumo. Hence he is now the featured rikishi. He has characteristics from both Hakuho and Tochiazuma in a very good way. Definitely one of the three hot rikishi in high makushita next basho along with Mokonami and Homasho.

He is small, good at oshi, yotsu and incredibly good at Azuma-Hakuho combination sumo. He moves graciously and is usually in the game no matter what. Reflexes are super fast and balance is solid. Prospective next small rikishi who may well hold his own more than well also at sekitori level. We shall see.

More information about his background would be highly appreciated!

Soon (Applauding...)
The Core of Sumou is a very good thing always no matter if sumou is rotten or not.

#3 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 22:34

Natsu 2005

Day 2 loss to Ryuyo by kotenage

Day 4 win against Kimenryu

Hidari-yotsu dance and a neat dropping of center of gravity and kirikaeshi finish. Very
Satoyama-like win where he wins with a very smooth finish.

http://www.banzuke.c...yu-Satoyama.asf

Day 5 win against Kimurayama

Tsuppari/oshi battle at first with Kimurayama trying some slapdowns. Satoyama survived
and got left hand inside grip and semi-morozashi (more like right hand on the front part
of Kimurayama's mawashi. Quite long quiet session with some attempts but at the end
Satoyama threw Kimurayama down with a shitatenage that might have had some shitatehineri
component too. Good win after a long bout.

http://www.banzuke.c...ma-Satoyama.asf

Day 7 loss to Kitataiki

Satoyama took control with left hand shitate, meddled in with kirikaeshi and ashitori and
drove Kitataiki backwards with strong hold but slipped at the edge and lost the bout with
surprising okuridashi.

http://www.banzuke.c...a-Kitataiki.asf

Day 10 win against Ashu

Took control in oshi and ousted Ashu easily.

http://www.banzuke.c...toyama-Ashu.asf

Day 11 win against Tochinoyama

Dived into morozashi at the tachi-ai and had no problems beating Tochinoyama in 1.5
seconds.

http://www.banzuke.c...Tochinoyama.asf

Day 15 win against Takanoyama

In Nagoya basho he went 5-2 at Ms23e beating Isobe, Tamarikido, Dewanofuji on the way.
Unfortunately his bouts are not available at all on-line.

In Aki basho he was at career high rank at Ms12 and better than ever. He started with a
strong win against Kitataiki whom he had faced both in Natsu and Nagoya basho losing on
both accounts (albeit by "accident" in Natsu). He took control at the tachi-ai and with
fast footwork kept close and pushed circulating Kitataiki onto his back with oshitaoshi.

http://www.banzuke.c...ki-Satoyama.asf

Surugatsukasa pushed mightily with his big body putting pressure on Satoyama who defended
for a while without panicking, got a grip and maneuvered Suru out.

http://www.banzuke.c...rugatsukasa.asf

Mokonami tried a slapdown after the tachi-ai but Satoyama regrouped. Tsuppari was
delivered by both equally spiritedly. When bout settled down Mokonami had his left hand
outside grip while Satoyama's left hand was rendered useless. Mokonami dropped his hips
and pushed forward. Satoyama didn't give up easily desperately hanging on the tawara for
a while before surrending.

http://www.banzuke.c...ma-Mokonami.asf

Hokutoiwa is another big pusher and delivered some of his special skill to Satoyama who
received and slipped aside close to edge nudging Hoku out.

http://www.banzuke.c...wa-Satoyama.asf

He beat Isobe with oshitaoshi.

Against Homasho bout went almost immediately in a the locked hornes position which
Tochiazuma does often with Roho and Kokkai usually beating them in that game. Mokonami
looked very Tochiazumaish with his horn locking and ensuing pull+push move which
dispatched Mokonami out head first.

http://www.banzuke.c...ho-Satoyama.asf

And finally Fukuzono with tsukiotoshi.

Not that much material yet about Satoyama but he certainly has many skills.

He seems to prefer left hand inside grip which gives him plenty of room for his other
tricks. Likes to place his right hand on the frontal part of the belt. Often dives in
quite deep (not as deep as Furuichi..) and likes to approach the tachi-ai collision as a
tight entity . Satoyama can also defend against oshi/tsuki well and puts in good
oshi-attacks himself. Very good at feeling the foe's movements and using perfect timing
to pull them off balance. So for now he seems to be a rikishi with good shitatenage,
kirikaeshi and in overall very good when he gets left hand inside but yet capable of
doing all kinds of sumo including oshi. Interesting package indeed. Hope he stays healthy
so he can challenge sekitori soon to follow Baruto's and Shiraishi's path.

And naturally when speaking of Satoyama, his play-off battle against Baruto in jonidan is
always a must see event. He got that left hand inside and also right hand to his
favourite mae-mitsu but eventually lost the grip and had to surrender to Baruto's final
surge. Great bout and was a clear sign of what future held and holds for him.

http://www.banzuke.c...yama-Baruto.asf

The Core of Sumou is a very good thing always no matter if sumou is rotten or not.

#4 Azumashida

Azumashida

Pom Poko beya

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:47

Against Homasho bout went almost immediately in a the locked hornes position which
Tochiazuma does often with Roho and Kokkai usually beating them in that game. Mokonami
looked very Tochiazumaish with his horn locking and ensuing pull+push move which
dispatched Mokonami out head first.

That's a little too many Mokonami's for a Satoyama-Homasho bout... :-S
Thanks for the very interesting comments anyways, I hope Satoyama fulfills the great promises he's showing!

Edited by Azumaryu, 13 October 2005 - 09:47.

"It's not the destination, it's the journey"
Google search, February 23rd 2005, 11:59, 7140 matched documents (0,42 seconds)

#5 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 18:05

That's a little too many Mokonami's for a Satoyama-Homasho bout...

Indeed :-S

Has Satoyama made any impression so far to anyone else besides me? There are many of his bouts available on-line and isn't totally unknown anymore. What about in Japan? Has Satoyama been totally ecclipsed by Baruto and Shiraishi in his heya? Has anyone been to Mihogaseki-beya to see keiko between these 3? What is the opinion on Japan-based hardcore sumofans on Satoyama?

#6 Frinkanohana

Frinkanohana

Makushita

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:41

I became a Satoyama fan when I watch the live stream on senshuraku of the Aki Basho last year. He looked so small compared to Baruto that I thought that the bout would be over in just a second in favour of Baruto. But how wrong was I. Altough Satoyama lost at the end his fighting sprit and sumo skills impressed me more than Baruto's size and strength. That was the best bout of the day. (Shaking head...)
I have followed Satoyama's career closely since that day and I think he will become a sekitori soon. :-S
Whatever will happen in the future I'll be rooting for him.
Avatar Copyright 2004 by Boltono

#7 Susanoo

Susanoo

Maegashira

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 13:04

Although I was able to see only three torikumis of his in the previous basho, I have checked that he was still maintaining the right sumo.
Since I was able to see six torikumis in this topic, I got to know that he had grown to be very wonderful Sumo-tori.
I was able to taste sumo more deeply with this and I am thankful to Kaikitsune-san.
And I want to talk about sumo again.

I thought that he did his best in all the six torikumis.
The defeat to Kitataiki was completely also his victory in the contents of sumo.
However, don't think that the regrettable defeat is caused by accident.
I think that he was not carefull enough all the final stage by the shortage of weight is the cause.
Therefore, I can expect enough that the situation same for the time being attacks him.
This thing is just the trial with which he has been burdened since the time of his Nihon University enrollment.
An increase in weight by which speed is spoiled does not benefit him at all.
It seems in me that he is filling these two opposite propositions so far.
However, the result of the previous basho shows that the further devotion(shoujin) is still needed on this.
I was made to realize a handicap still existing for him, though I accepting his genius and efforts.

Another one defeat of his which I was not able to see is based on kotenage.
Probably, since he inserted the left hand and invaded, I can imagine that Ryuuyou lost other choices.
If the anticipation had come true and I expressed the severe opinion, he needed to expect it beforehand.
When inserting an arm with the small body, unless it has the speed and power which it continues pushing without stopping, it is accompanied by the danger of kotenage or kannuki.
The defeat by the kotenage made him do the attack by the right uniquely in his 2nd torikumi.
Although he was able to win all the same, the slowness in that case proved the error of tactics.
And although he with high learning ability did not use these tactics after that, a risk of his left arm being aimed at simultaneously from now on will increase.

It is torikumi currently regarded as my wanting to see MoukonamixSatoyama as kind reference data.
Satoyama is a rikishi who does not mistake the position for striking an opponent all his a little scarce power without a loss.
Moukonami is a rikishi very good at curving the direction of an opponent's pressure.
And I judge that Moukonami is one person of rikishis whom Satoyama cannot win most easily.
Since Moukonami has the bad peculiarity of using hiki and hataki abundantly, I think that it is Satoyama's only chance of victory to take advantage of it.
Satoyama has hardly using hiki and hataki and hardly wearing it too.
I do not think of rikishi which does not collapse ahead with low posture like Satoyama now other than Asashoryu.
Although it becomes as my order immediately after tachiai by Satoyama's very strong atari, the VTR shows that the depth of Mokonami's futokoro prevented it.
Since Satoyama did not collapse by Mokonami's very sharp hataki, either, I have to praise both rikishis.
However, I want to see Satoyama's figure which he takes advantage of hiki and pushing to the finish as my personal opinion.
For that purpose, it is necessary to increase the pushing power and speed like the example of previous kotenage.
I think that he is already over a juryo level in a technique side.
Therefore, probably, he is in makuuchi, when he solves an opposite proposition.

I am wishing that he in a good condition performing for a long period of time.
However, I cannot still remove an uneasy element from the expectation now.
Do his physique and torikuchi make it possible for him to go up banzuke without an injury?
I want him to avoid the following three matters with high danger which I consider with excessive kindness.

*1: Stop with the position of hanmi.
He aiming at adhesion by a low position holding shitate, and being set to hannmi induces an opponent's kotenage.
When his physique receives it, he has a possibility that both an elbow and the shoulder may be injured.

*2: Insert both arms deeply.
Deep morozashi leaves an opponent only the choice of kannuki(both elbows are held and locked) or kubinage.
Since both are the dangerous skill to affect a rikishi life for him, he must not never stop at the state of morozashi.

*3: Let a head got into an opponent's armpit.
Although the last one is concerned with his life itself, it is not an overstatement.
Tokitsuumi performed frequently a means to make a head got into armpit in his heyday.
Although it was not the skill which should never be praised, spectators were delighted by his individuality.
However, it needs the back and the neck of extraordinary strength, and forces it the burden proportional to it to the portion.
Tokitsuumi which descended banzuke while it became impossible to have perform it has been in the state where it cannot do even if he wants to perform it again.
It is not the skill which rikishi of the physique like Satoyama may imitate.
Although Fukunaga who belongs to Sakaigawa-beya makes it the specialty now, he has already hurt his cervix.
Since Fukunaga has the physique still smaller than Satoyama, there are very few choices of the tactics which he can use.
This example also shows the thing in which Satoyama should not imitate it.

Of course Satoyama who knows sumo well understands these three danger better than I.
Therefore, I do not think that he wished and became such a posture.
It is difficult to win without his approaching danger with his present ability.
Generally the performance accompanied by such danger like the tightrope walking is the charm of rikishi.
However, I want to see orthdox sumo and even if it is simple.
Because, he is one person of a few rikishis which can please a spectator by simple sumo.

Additional information.
In Hamanoshima's intai-zumo in January 29, 2005, the gorgeous team event by five rikishis of Mihogaseki-beya and five rikishis of Dewanoumi-Ichimon other than Mihogaseki was held.
* Mihogaseki(Baruto, Shiraishi, Satoyama, Kurazno, Hamaeikou)
* Dewa-ichimon selection(Kimurayama, Dewaootori, Shibuya, Kagaya, Tokihikari)
First, each five rikishis went up on the dohyo, and performed soroibumi.
After Hamaeikou won one rikishi, Tokihikari won one rikishi, Baruto won two rikishis and Kimurayama won two rikishis, Satoyama won five rikishis and was completed.
Though regrettable, since I am not looking at this, I cannot tell about the contents.
I imagine that Hamanoshima looked at Satoyama's activity like his own thing while he remember the past longingly.
:-S

#8 Doitsuyama

Doitsuyama

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 14:24

Although Fukunaga who belongs to Sakaigawa-beya makes it the specialty now, he has already hurt his cervix.

Thank you for the good desciption of Satoyama's dangerous points to avoid. I know you are using translators etc. but I still wanted to highlight the above sentence. I never thought the bolded two words would be able to appear together... Dr. Kaikitsune?

#9 Susanoo

Susanoo

Maegashira

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 15:50

Thank you for the good desciption of Satoyama's dangerous points to avoid. I know you are using translators etc. but I still wanted to highlight the above sentence. I never thought the bolded two words would be able to appear together... Dr. Kaikitsune?

Thank you , Doitsuyama-san.
Since it was set to "head" when changing the "首" with translation software, I transposed the "首" to the "頸部(similarly this means 首)" next.
The result was "cervix."
I checked that "cervix" also had [ according to the English-Japanese dictionary ] the meaning of the "子宮頚部(the entrance portion of the womb)" of indication in addition to the "首" on anatomy.
I had chosen it easily.
Supposing I had prudence to a slight degree, it should only have been "neck."
I do not disgrace myself by your remark from now on.
Please continue to help me.
:-S

#10 Doitsuyama

Doitsuyama

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 17:45

I did not want to put the critics on your English - I'm in no position for that anyway. I just found that segment curious enough.

#11 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 19:41

*1: Stop with the position of hanmi.
He aiming at adhesion by a low position holding shitate, and being set to hannmi induces an opponent's kotenage.
When his physique receives it, he has a possibility that both an elbow and the shoulder may be injured.

From injury prevention point of view it is quite big factor if he already has problems with his left shoulder or elbow at all. Since Satoyama evidently will be inserting that left-hand inside in the future too and that is perhaps the core of his yotsu, he is bound to be attacked with kotenage quite a lot especially considering his small size. Not so much in makushita yet but surely in makuuchi at least.

2: Insert both arms deeply.
Deep morozashi leaves an opponent only the choice of kannuki(both elbows are held and locked) or kubinage.
Since both are the dangerous skill to affect a rikishi life for him, he must not never stop at the state of morozashi.

So far he hasn't done deep morozashi-sumo much but prefers to get left hand inside and right hand almost in mae-mitsu. He has good throwing ability too so could be seen using semi-morozashi also for shitatenage. Would be nice to see him mimmick Kaiho's makiotoshi too.

3: Let a head got into an opponent's armpit.
Although the last one is concerned with his life itself, it is not an overstatement.
Tokitsuumi performed frequently a means to make a head got into armpit in his heyday.
Although it was not the skill which should never be praised, spectators were delighted by his individuality.
However, it needs the back and the neck of extraordinary strength, and forces it the burden proportional to it to the portion.
Tokitsuumi which descended banzuke while it became impossible to have perform it has been in the state where it cannot do even if he wants to perform it again.

Can't remember who it was but someone strangled Ama for many minutes when Ama had his head under the armpit. Ama said something like he thought he would pass out at any second :-D
Satoyama has very low tachi-ai too at times and as you said, he is remarkably tolerant against slapdowns. Probably has very robust lower back. Definitely a big burden if he will continue such style.

In general there is a risk that Satoyama will not bloom fully due to injuries. So far he has been quite healthy since his debut but as with Ama for example, it is very essential for him to stay relatively injury-free. Nevertheless, Satoyama is definitely one of the hottest rikishi in ozumo now when it comes to prospects and anticipation on how he can take sekitori-level competition. Banzai banzai banzai for his health and sumo, banzai for Fukunaga's cervix too :-)

According to his own statement the founder of sumoforum self-diagnosed a condition called roughly "tilted uterus" when he was young and read some medical encyclopedia. In such state the cervix position may give some hints but he was a he and is still a he so slightly unlikely diagnosis. I decided to publish this fascinating info in this thread. I doubt he minds. There are many people who should never read medical encyclopedia because they soon feel all the symptoms of all possible diseases. Sumoforum founder isn't such I think but that is digressing and "digressing" is a word I learned from him in 2001 when he wrote a message on sumo ML and used that word. "digress" to me meant "regress" somehow so every time someone wrote "I digress" I had an image they meant they are deteriorating :-D I am digressing now more and more so will stop now.

#12 BuBa

BuBa

Juryo

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 21:33

Can't remember who it was but someone strangled Ama for many minutes when Ama had his head under the armpit. Ama said something like he thought he would pass out at any second :-D

Tokitenku had Ama's head in his armpit once. I remember me thinking don't you (Tokitenku) have a mercy for you compatriot. :-D

#13 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 31 May 2007 - 20:57

Update May 2007:

In Natsu basho Satoyama made his makuuchi debut starting with a mere 1-6 but coming back strongly to finish with 7-8. His sumo was great and balanced. He also felt good about makuuchi sumo and said it gave him a lot of confidence that he was able to compete so well at this level.

It is amazing this thread was last updated for over 1.5 years ago!

#14 higginbotham

higginbotham

Juryo

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:49

A piece of information.

After his 7-8 which granted him his M12w spot for one more basho, Satoyama lost completely the pace, struggle and left Makuuchi with wins over Hokutoriki and Hakurozan to finish 2-13. Then, came a 6-9 at Juryo 5, followed straight by other two of the same kind - 6-9 at J9 and at J12. He will leave sekitori status after 2 years over there, but hopefully for a coming back. He is still young enough at 26 to do it if not hindered by physical issues.

#15 ryafuji

ryafuji

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 21:46

What on earth is up with Satoyama? He's now had six consecutive make koshi after winning the juryo championship back in March 07. After a 2-5 score in March 08 he's now down to Makushita 8. Is he injured?

#16 Jonosuke

Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 22:03

Satoyama has a neck injury, now more or less in chronic condition according to the April issue of Sumo Magazine. Apparently he really doesn't experience serious pain but it does get to him mentally. Emotionally he is rather a sensitive type.

"Somehow I can't generate as much power as I want. My weight has gone up and I have been doing good training but I just can't seem to translate in good sumo I am capable of," Satoyama said looking pretty much lost on what to do right now.

"He is in the biggest challenge of his sumo life right now. Somehow he must overcome it and get over it," his shisho said.

< Heart Technique Physique >
More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours that keep us so tightly bound
You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies

#17 ryafuji

ryafuji

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 27 April 2008 - 22:21

Satoyama has a neck injury, now more or less in chronic condition according to the April issue of Sumo Magazine. Apparently he really doesn't experience serious pain but it does get to him mentally. Emotionally he is rather a sensitive type.

"Somehow I can't generate as much power as I want. My weight has gone up and I have been doing good training but I just can't seem to translate in good sumo I am capable of," Satoyama said looking pretty much lost on what to do right now.

"He is in the biggest challenge of his sumo life right now. Somehow he must overcome it and get over it," his shisho said.

Thank you for that Jonosuke. I suspected an injury would be at least partly to blame.

#18 Sasanishiki

Sasanishiki

Yokozuna

• Moderators
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 02:19

Do we know how he injured his neck? Does the article say, or can anyone think of a bout in which he might have injured it? I am just wondering what kind of injury it is and how it might effect his sumo.

#19 kaiguma

kaiguma

Yobidashi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 28 April 2008 - 04:35

Do we know how he injured his neck? Does the article say, or can anyone think of a bout in which he might have injured it? I am just wondering what kind of injury it is and how it might effect his sumo.

I can't recall any opponents, but subliminal memory log suggests he was thrown deep into the 3rd row several times during the maku debut basho, and landed near the dohyo-edge once or twice as well.

And then maybe, he twisted it doing one of his funky tawara-arching bridge maneuvers, which actually has a real waza? At least when executed correctly, IIRC... the California Twirl maybe?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users