38 replies to this topic

#1 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 14:01

It seems official, it sounds official, but is it? Probably. The guy who never missed a day of Sumo is going home. His 1-14 record will drop him down to Makushita, and after all these years, I doubt he will enjoy it there.. He started off as Makushita Tsukedashi in 1992. He turned running sideways, backwards, and under into an art form, and still
managed to be in Makuuchi for 52 basho.
I know many dislike him, but I liked him a lot..

Asanowaka and close friend, sharing a moment and some chanko:
Posted Image

Edited by Kintamayama, 27 March 2005 - 14:02.

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#2 Azumashida

Azumashida

Pom Poko beya

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 14:51

I know many dislike him, but I liked him a lot..

Me too. A truly unique rikishi, he will be missed. On the other hand, it feels good to know that, if he indeed goes intai now, he will not have missed a day of sumo, and gone all the way, even in that final, very tough basho. He got a win at least - and also allowed Chiyohakuho to inaugurate the "osakate" kimarite...
"It's not the destination, it's the journey"
Google search, February 23rd 2005, 11:59, 7140 matched documents (0,42 seconds)

#3 Jakusotsu

Jakusotsu

North Pole Ichimon

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,460 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 15:02

His pre-bout antics on his presumably last career day were priceless! Slamming the salt, doing a push-up at the lines and refusing the towel from the yobidashi - it all carried the point of a curtain to fall. (Too bad Doitsuyama didn't catch it all on the video.)

Jumping on Moti's bandwagon and waving goodbye: I'll miss him!
Not very many of the old guard left now...
"I don't believe anyone has the right not to be offended by something." - ryafuji

#4 sekihiryu

sekihiryu

Mongolian Javelin Thrower

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 15:18

:-( he's the guy I love to hate, but now hes is gone its kind of sad. He certainly was unique, there could only be one clown and that was him.
Sayonara pieronowaka (Bye, bye...)
Private Pyle, if there is one thing in this world that I hate, it is a loose mawashi! You know that don't you?
Full Metal Jacket

#5 Fujisan

Fujisan

The crimson short one!

• Active Members
  • 5,013 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 16:11

Sad but inevitable I think. :

I like the extravagant characters in sumo and Asanowaka was a joy to watch. (Bye, bye...)

"In Harry potter the philosophers stone,Harry found a mirror which when he looked at it he saw the one thing he 'desired more than anything else......'
My friend Wayne has been doing that for 48 years but it hasn't helped him any."  Paul(Fujisan)Sharp

New observation I thought was funny but Wayne didn't......
-----------------------------------------------------

My friend Dave has a brain like a computer,it never works when you really need it to......Paul(Fujisan)Sharp

------------------------------------------------

As for Jason and his wife Nicki here is the first verse i have written to a song I wrote in their honour....

"I married a woman,as crazy as can be,she's 3 parts vampire,2 parts chimpanze,i met her in the park she was swinging from the trees,I thought SHE was crazy,until I met her family......."

#6 Yokotanoharry

Yokotanoharry

Sandanme

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 16:57

Dittos. Takatoriki junior will be missed. Would have liked to have seen his last day. Now all we'll have for extracurricular entertainment----------Takamisakari?? Echhhh!!!!
"Never bet on anything with only two legs."

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."--Benjamin Franklin

#7 sashimaru

sashimaru

Juryo

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 20:31

... even in that final, very tough basho. He got a win at least - and also allowed Chiyohakuho to inaugurate the "osakate" kimarite...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And no henka this basho. I think this must be mentioned! Musoyama must be proud of him. (Bye, bye...)

Goodbye little salt.
happy tachiai,
sashimaru

"Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else."

#8 Doitsuyama

Doitsuyama

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 22:10

His pre-bout antics on his presumably last career day were priceless! Slamming the salt, doing a push-up at the lines and refusing the towel from the yobidashi - it all carried the point of a curtain to fall. (Too bad Doitsuyama didn't catch it all on the  video.)

Ok, I got the message. I made a much longer second video with the full pre-bout ritual.

I also added Kyokutenho-Iwakiyama from day 10 which is missing in Dale's videos.

#9 Frinkanohana

Frinkanohana

Makushita

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 22:49

Ok, I got the message. I made a much longer second video with the full pre-bout ritual.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you Doitsuyama. (Sign of approval)
I really like the way Asanowaka throws the salt, he is my favourite salt thrower. His intai makes me sad :-) I'll keep this video and watch it whenever I need something to cheer me up.
Avatar Copyright 2004 by Boltono

#10 Kashunowaka

Kashunowaka

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 23:09

It seems official, it sounds official, but is it? Probably.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, is it?

#11 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 23:38

It seems official, it sounds official, but is it? Probably.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, is it?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not yet. I think they are waiting for something. Personally, I think he doesn't want to, but is being "convinced " by his Oyakata that this is best.
We shall see.

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#12 chabonowaka

chabonowaka

Makushita

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 01:29

i am quite the infrequent visitor to the forum, but thought i'd stop in and see what was being said about this. i would be counted among the sad ones. asanowaka was one of the very first rikishi that i took a liking to when i started watching sumo, and the first who was japanese (i started only knowing who akebono and konishiki were.)

he was the first rikishi i knew of from my wife's home prefecture of aichi, too, and the inspiration for my sumo game shikona. i thought it a misfortune when the kyokai made him stop with the salt, too. i liked it.

definitely not the best sumo wrestler ever, but he did his best. :) and that's all i as a fan could ask.

in theory, he stuck around long enough to be a pretty important oyakata, no? i don't know all the rules about how that all works, but 52 makuuchi basho has to get you something, i'd think.

this sounds kind of like a eulogy, doesn't it?

oh well, a sad day for my sumofandom.

#13 Jonosuke

Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 04:16

I hope you'll find this piece as illuminating as I found when I read it earlier this month flying back from Japan.

From Sumo Magazine March issue (published prior to the Haru Basho)
=============================================

asanowaka.jpg

Asanowaka faced the Hatsu Basho with Juryo West 11 ranking but he overcame this crisis of possibly falling down to Makushita by winning 9 while losing 6 and showed us that the news of this veteran rikishi's demise was still premature.

"Mentally I am thinking I'll stay forever young. But on the other hand, I still have a sense of crisis, thinking that this would be my last basho or if I can still make it through to the next. So rather than taking one basho at a time like others, for me it's more like approaching each bout, one bout at a time as if it's the last. Because more than anyone else, I know my own physical capabilitiy and limitation," Asanowaka said.

Asanowaka joined Wakamatsu Beya from Kinki University at the Haru Basho in 1992 and made his dohyo debut with Makushita Tsukedashi ranking. In the same year there was Asanosho (current Wakamatsu oyakata) from Kinki University along with Higonoumi (current Kise oyakata) and Hamanoshima (current Onoe oyakata) from Nihon Unversity who made their dohyo debut one basho earlier. All three have already retired and completed their Danpatsu ceremony.

"I was never an outstanding amateur, never getting any major titles to speak of at either high school or university level. In college tournaments I could never beat Higonoumi so sure, I had a lot of anxiety then. Now knowing everyone is all gone, I do feel a bit of loneliness. At the Kyushu, we had Musoyama retiring too..."

There is no doubt that the major reason Asanowaka is still around while all his rivals have left their active career long ago is Asanowaka not suffering any major injury or illness. But we also should point out a fact that he possesed a far superior Oshi and Inase ability than most others.

"Mine is not a thinking man's sumo so I really can't figure out what it is really. Whether I am pushing or pulling, my body is respondiing instinctively. I have no form or style to my sumo whatsover. If I can describe it in a word, it's a 'Gamble Sumo'. When I lost, I may have had a reason like I had a bad tachiai. But when I won, I have no idea why I won at all...I am totally at a loss to tell you what contributed to my winning. When someone asks me how I won a particular bout, I can only tell them it just so happened that way. Nothing more."

Akinoshima once told him , "You have a good power from underneath and possess excellent reflexes." It's true we often witnessed his good reflexes at the dohyo edge. His power at tachiai has always been underestimated. Asanowaka says he has been going to a gym to do weight training lately. "Actually when they check my upper body strength, I see the numbers far greater than what I expect so in that sense it gives me more self-confidence to go on. It certainly gives me an illusion that I can continue a lot longer."

In these days Asanowaka goes for a pull or henka at tachiai much less frequently but when he was just promoted to Juryo, he used to resort to them so often that he was scolded harshly.

"Back then I was like if I couldn't finish my opponent off first by pulling, then I kept going back pulling and pulling him over and over. Because when I turned pro I really did not want to get my face slapped around. During one Jyungyo tour, Kokonoe oyakata (former Yokozuna Chiyonofuji) came around to talk to me and gave me a lot of advice and instruction. Then my training method and sumo content started to change gradually."

When Asanowaka was promoted to Makuchi, his sumo changed generally to more Oshi-zumo from a primarilly 'pull sumo' style. He realized that the Makuuchi rikishis would not let themselves get defeated by just being pulled over. He discovered then that he could beat them more successfully if he initially hit them hard enough at tachiai and pushed them away first before pulling.

"I believe I was fortunate that both at the high school (Aichi Enginnering University Meiden High - the same high school Ichiro Suzuki graduated) and the University(Kinki), I was taught good fundamentals. I really had good sumo coaches. Up to my later college days, I was an exclusively Oshi-zumo rikishi and never attempted any little tricks. Even after I turned pro, I was only told to compete by moving forward and did sound basic sumo training. I believe that is one reason I have been able to compete for this long without suffering any major injury."

Since his dohyo debut, he has never missed a day and his consecutive appearence record stands at 1,130 (at the end of Hatsu Basho). If he could continue his appearence streak by prolonging his sekitori career by only five more bashos, he could add his name to the Top Ten list. Obvously his training time has diminished significantly over the years but he still does enough shiko to have a good sweat every day.

"I can't do as much training as when I was younger. But I am doing enough basic and fundamental exercises to keep building my body. I am also giving instructions to young rikishis too. Yeah I am rather a strict teacher."

Asanowaka is teaching them it's not just technical aspect that is important but also a regular daily buildup of training. He firmly believes that the most important way to build a body free from major injuries is to be doing and keep doing basic sumo exercises.

On a personal side, Asanowaka got married five years ago and now is a father of two girls. His older daughter Honoka is four years old and is at an age she has become aware of her surroundings.

"When I come home after losing, she is all upset and asks me, 'why did you lose?' Even when I am eating a meal, she comes over and tells me unless I start eating more I won't get bigger (laughs)."

His younger daughter Wakana is two years old. Asanowaka says his two adorable daughters provide him an emotional support he needs to keep going. For his family and fans, Asanowaka wants to keep competing on the dohyo as long as he possibly can.

Edited by Jonosuke, 28 March 2005 - 21:50.

< Heart Technique Physique >
More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours that keep us so tightly bound
You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies

#14 Lynn Matsuoka

Lynn Matsuoka
  • Guests

Posted 28 March 2005 - 05:29

[FONT=Courier] :-)

How sad- Asanowaka was one of the most clolorful Rijishi- and a personality kid. I loved him as a rikishi and really missed him when he dropped out of Makunouchi. He is clever and very funny.
He also was a good subject for me - attached is my best painting of him, when he was Tachimochi for Yokozuna Akebono.

WHO can take his place??

Lynn

Attached Thumbnails

• AsanowakaTachimochi.gif

#15 Chiyozakura

Chiyozakura

Juryo

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 12:01

I think Asanowaka owns Wakamatsu kabu so his career as a Toshiyori should be secured. On the other hand his intai means that former Asanosho has to look for another kabu to use.

I always wondered why Asanowaka was able to hold his place in Makunouchi for as long as he did. He was in no way outstanding, and his run away type of sumo was everything but big quality. His greatest moment probably was his 50th Makunouchi basho, when he scored in double digits fo rthe only time ever...

#16 chabonowaka

chabonowaka

Makushita

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 28 March 2005 - 18:31

some career highlights? how's about:

3-1 against Kaio (one win when Kaio was Sekiwake)
4-1 against Wakanosato (Waka's best rank was M6)
5-7 against Konishiki (K's best rank was M7)

(i think these numbers are accurate and complete)

so clearly, Asanowaka was better than Kaio and Wakanosato, and nearly as good as Konishiki. Mwahahahaha!!!!!

no, of course i don't believe that. but i wanted to write it anyway. hooray for Asanowaka!!!!!!

#17 _the_mind_

_the_mind_

Maegashira

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 20:52

wow thats sad news. doesnt anyone know why he did so poorly this time? was he injured? or didnt really feel like being there?

i loved the push-ups before the bouts back in the 90s.

#18 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,714 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 23:42

wow thats sad news. doesnt anyone know why he did so poorly this time? was he injured? or didnt really feel like being there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think he just reached the end of the road. His sumo wasn't really the same ever since his last drop back to Juryo (for the July 2004 basho), so I figure that age simply caught up with him.

It's actually not that unusual for a veteran's final sekitori (and/or final career) basho to be really, really bad. For recent examples, see Oikari (dropped to Makushita in short order with two successive 3-12 after previously showing no signs of weakening), or Aogiyama (retired after 0-9 start from mid-Juryo...no obvious injuries there either).

All in all, the end often comes surprisingly quickly for veteran wrestlers, probably because their deteriorating physical condition reaches a tipping point, and their usual 6-9 to 9-6 performance suddenly turns into 2-13 level sumo, simply because unlike before, they're now that one little bit worse than everybody else. Asanowaka's been following a well-established pattern there, at any rate.

I do hope he retires at this point...it was kind of painful watching Oikari try to make a (futile) go in Makushita last year, to say nothing of Wakanojo's ignominious slide down into Jonidan around the same time...

#19 Jakusotsu

Jakusotsu

North Pole Ichimon

• Moderators
  • 6,460 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 07:48

doesnt anyone know why he did so poorly this time? was he injured? or didnt really feel like being there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this might be a clue:

And no henka this basho. I think this must be mentioned!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

"I don't believe anyone has the right not to be offended by something." - ryafuji

#20 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 13:27

Asanowaka won 357 bouts in makuuchi.

128 oshidashi
62 hikiotoshi
48 hatakikomi
42 tsukiotoshi
36 okuridashi
13 oshitaoshi (3 against Kaiho)
6 tsukidashi
4 makiotoshi
4 yorikiri
3 okuritaoshi
2 sukuinage
2 yoritaoshi
2 katasukashi
1 uwatenage (against Aminishiki, accidental)
1 tsukitaoshi (against Kotonishiki)
1 koshikudake
1 fusensho
1 abisetaoshi
The Core of Sumou is a very good thing always no matter if sumou is rotten or not.

#21 Tomoe

Tomoe

Makushita

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 13:43

Sad news indeed (Cloverleaf...) Asa was one of the realy funny guy's in sumo.
When the NSK told him to show better sumo instead of his custom clownlike habit, he managed to make a real cool, funny face and threw just a little hint of salt in a manner you had simply to laugh about (Cloverleaf...)
Unlike Robomisakari a follower in attitude but not in style, I will miss Asanos sense of humor.
You never know what ist enough unless you know what is more than enough.
(W.Blake)

#22 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 15:42

Sad news indeed  (Cloverleaf...) 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would like to point out that Asanowaka is NOT retired at this time.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#23 Kashunowaka

Kashunowaka

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 15:50

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, you started this! (Cloverleaf...)

#24 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 15:52

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey, you started this! (Cloverleaf...)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Naaahh. I ASKED.. After being told that someone read somewhere about something.. Hence the question mark in parenthesis and me winking every time I add to this thread.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#25 Kashunowaka

Kashunowaka

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 16:46

Are we 100% certain that Asanowaka will be demoted? There are 8 juryo rikishi with demotable results, but only 5 promotions from makushita. Perhaps he and his shisho are waiting to see if he is one of the lucky ones?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users