26 replies to this topic

#1 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,969 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 17:39

Looks real cool- thanks to all that made it happen.
There are some things that need explaining though, like the two different "quote" thingies. I gather the first one is when you don't want to be quoted, and the second is the regular one?
Any other stuff we should know??

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#2 Exil

Exil

il·le·git·i·mate

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 18:10

The Posted Image is used for multi-quoting. You can quote multiple posts (even across topics, IIRC). You select the posts you wish to quote, using the Posted Image button and then click Add Reply to quote them.

I will post details of the new features once we finish fixing the installation.
takarafuji.pngshibuya.pnghomasho.pngonosho.pngtowanoyama.png
(In association with Takarafuji, Inc.)

#3 Kashunowaka

Kashunowaka

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 19:40

Looks real cool- thanks to all that made it happen.
There are some things that need explaining though, like the two different "quote" thingies. I gather the first one is when you don't want to be quoted, and the second is the regular one?
Any other stuff we should know??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Posted Image is used for multi-quoting. You can quote multiple posts (even across topics, IIRC). You select the posts you wish to quote, using the Posted Image button and then click Add Reply to quote them.

I will post details of the new features once we finish fixing the installation.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool! (Yawning...)

And the Ignore User feature is there too ... excellent.

Edited by Kashunowaka, 07 December 2004 - 19:42.

#4 Takanorappa

Takanorappa

Tried a Calpis lately?

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 20:18

Lots of new features! Recently read topics in the control panel is excellent. I like the profile card, too. Bigger smilies section! Excellent! ;-)

Is it just me or do the list of topics take up more vertical space? It seems there is more margin around the text than the old board. Good for older eyes! (Yawning...)
a Calpis fan am I. of Calpis I am fond. Of Calpis I oft think of. it helps me push when I chug.
an SFM fan am I, too. it's hard to chug, though...

Posted Image

#5 Kashunowaka

Kashunowaka

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 23:40

Is it just me or do the list of topics take up more vertical space?  It seems there is more margin around the text than the old board.  Good for older eyes! B-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OTOH, the old format gave a better overview. The new format has too much vertical space for my liking. I think a bigger font would be better for readability.

#6 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,574 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 01:51

Well, the new design looks very...rectangular. B-) Guess I'll just need some time getting used to it. The multi-quoting looks very nifty, at any rate. To say nothing of the Ignore feature.

One thing though (which I suspect is on the agenda already, anyway), perhaps the clickable smilies list could be resorted a bit...right now, several of the perennial favorites (e.g. B-) :-D (Nodding yes...) :-) :-)) have migrated to the bottom of the selections...

Edited by Asashosakari, 08 December 2004 - 01:53.

#7 Exil

Exil

il·le·git·i·mate

• Super Administrators
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 03:25

One thing though (which I suspect is on the agenda already, anyway), perhaps the clickable smilies list could be resorted a bit...right now, several of the perennial favorites (e.g.  B-)  :-)  B-)  :-)  (Nodding yes...)) have migrated to the bottom of the selections...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wasn't supposed to touch the source... B-)

Better now? The sort order isn't customizable, only the selection can be changed. And the script insists on listing the emoticons in alphabetical order. :-)

Let's see...
  • Temporary logo - check
  • Link banner - check
  • Sumo avatars - check
  • Emoticons - check
Now where on earth did I put that clock script... :-D

#8 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,574 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 04:19

Better now?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not to sound too negative, but if you changed something, I sure can't tell what it was... B-)

The sort order isn't customizable, only the selection can be changed. And the script insists on listing the emoticons in alphabetical order. :-)

And this part outright lost me...

#9 Kashunowaka

Kashunowaka

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:53

I wasn't supposed to touch the source... B-)

Meaning what? :-)

#10 Yoavoshimaru

Yoavoshimaru

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 15:04

Thanks for doing the upgrade, I think it looks great! (Nodding yes...)

#11 Burainoan

Burainoan

Maegashira

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 17:13

The squareness of the buttons will take some getting used to, but there seems to be more color gradations that give things a slightly more three-dimensional feel, which is nice.

i don't personally have a use for the "ignore" function, but having been on a site with trolls, i think it's a good thing to have.
"You've got to have a sense of humor; look around you."
- Robin Williams

#12 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,969 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 17:25

I also never use any ignore function (where's the fun? I want to see all the posts of the people I can't stand..). Also, it causes problems in the mechanism of things, when suddenly a post in a thread doesn't appear to me, yet people are referring to it..
OTOH, an ignore for an entire TOPIC will be extremely welcome and handy.
"Handsome" and "pets" come to mind..
Why don't they implement THAT?

Edited by Kintamayama, 08 December 2004 - 18:04.

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#13 Fujisan

Fujisan

The crimson short one!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 17:56

I'm just confused by the changes right now but I guess I will get used to it. (Nodding yes...)

"In Harry potter the philosophers stone,Harry found a mirror which when he looked at it he saw the one thing he 'desired more than anything else......'

My friend Wayne has been doing that for 48 years but it hasn't helped him any."  Paul(Fujisan)Sharp

New observation I thought was funny but Wayne didn't......

#14 Exil

Exil

il·le·git·i·mate

• Super Administrators
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 18:20

Not to sound too negative, but if you changed something, I sure can't tell what it was... (Nodding yes...)

Oh. It doesn't work that way, then. I'll just reverse them.

The sort order isn't customizable, only the selection can be changed. And the script insists on listing the emoticons in alphabetical order. (Blinking...)

And this part outright lost me...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In alphabetical order, as in (Annoyed...) before (Arguing...) before :-D before ;-), which is now reversed. There are no administrative tools to change the ordering. Does that make any sense?

I wasn't supposed to touch the source... :-)

Meaning what? ;-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Meaning now that we have a cool new forum script, I shouldn't have to mess around with the source code...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Delete Topic? :-D

#15 Fujisan

Fujisan

The crimson short one!

• Active Members
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 18:26

Whats with the "Quote" option?

I tried quoting in one sub forum but couldn't get it to work,so I gave up moved to another sub forum and when I tried to reply there my quote from the previous sub forum was at the top of my message........Now I am confused! :-) (Nodding yes...) ;-)

"In Harry potter the philosophers stone,Harry found a mirror which when he looked at it he saw the one thing he 'desired more than anything else......'

My friend Wayne has been doing that for 48 years but it hasn't helped him any."  Paul(Fujisan)Sharp

#16 Exil

Exil

il·le·git·i·mate

• Super Administrators
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 18:32

Whats with the "Quote" option?

I tried quoting in one sub forum but couldn't get it to work,so I gave up moved to another sub forum and when I tried to reply there my quote from the previous sub forum was at the top of my message........Now I am confused! :-)  (Nodding yes...)  ;-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

*cough*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#17 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,969 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 18:41

Delete Topic? (Nodding yes...)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where may I find this useful function, other than under the moderators' priviledges??

Edited by Kintamayama, 08 December 2004 - 18:44.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#18 Yangnomazuma

Yangnomazuma

Yangnome and Infidel

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 18:43

RE: the "squareness" of the board. If I'm not mistaken, there are tons of skins available for this board software. It seems that the site must download and make them available then we can choose from amongst them. This correct? That said, if you find the default skin "square", you may wish to find a skin you DO like and suggest it be added as an option.

#19 Fujisan

Fujisan

The crimson short one!

• Active Members
  • 4,991 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 19:02

*cough*
[quote name='Exil' date='Dec 7, 2004, 20:10']The Posted Image is used for multi-quoting. You can quote multiple posts (even across topics, IIRC). You select the posts you wish to quote, using the Posted Image button and then click Add Reply to quote them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"No still cant get it to work,useless thing!" ;-) (Hugging...)

Thanks Exil!

Its still confusing though.

Edited by Fujisan, 08 December 2004 - 19:03.

#20 Jonosuke

Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 20:09

Yeah but then you miss all the fun of reading Musashigawa Beya rikishi threads (Hugging...)

FYI a friend of mine had a cat named Musashi.

< Heart Technique Physique >
More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours that keep us so tightly bound
You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies

#21 Fukurou

Fukurou

Ozeki

• Active Members
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 04:03

Rijicho wrote: (of the new Japan-Japanese Discussions area)

New subforum's idea is to discuss about anything related to Japan, whether it is culture, language, geography, life in Japan, etc. The other function of the new subforum is to have a place where one can write in Japanese without worrying about whether most readers understand it at all. In Japanese one can also discuss sumo there (as I intend to do myself ) but naturally in English sumo discussions should remain in the appropriate subforums.

So far, all of the postings in this new subforum have been in Japanese. Just to clarify, if someone wants to talk about Japanese culture, language, etc, they are supposed to do it in the new subforum and are allowed to do so in English, correct? And if they ask a question or start a discussion in that area in English, is it reasonable to expect that any replies should also be in English?
Posted Image
Fukurou

"Look! I have one job... it's stupid, but I'm gonna do it! Okay?"
-- Gwen DeMarco

#22 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,969 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 07:24

Rijicho wrote: (of the new Japan-Japanese Discussions area)

New subforum's idea is to discuss about anything related to Japan, whether it is culture, language, geography, life in Japan, etc. The other function of the new subforum is to have a place where one can write in Japanese without worrying about whether most readers understand it at all. In Japanese one can also discuss sumo there (as I intend to do myself ) but naturally in English sumo discussions should remain in the appropriate subforums.

So far, all of the postings in this new subforum have been in Japanese. Just to clarify, if someone wants to talk about Japanese culture, language, etc, they are supposed to do it in the new subforum and are allowed to do so in English, correct? And if they ask a question or start a discussion in that area in English, is it reasonable to expect that any replies should also be in English?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The way I understand it, you are absolutely correct. Discuss about culture etc., AND a place where one can write in Japanese. If a non- Sumo related, but Japanese culture- related question would be asked in English, it surely will be answered in English.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#23 Rijicho

Rijicho

Personnel

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:12

Yes. That is the way. It is convenient to have a place where one can go to just check if some other Japan-related topic has been discussed lately instead of going to Off-topic and try to find something there in the midst of pets, stumps and winter gas tank problems. Since big part of sumofans are also interested in Japan in general, this subforum serves a purpose I hope.

#24 Faustonowaka

Faustonowaka

Makushita

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 13:16

Another question;

Some mebers have "titels" under their avatar
e.g. The BIG Kahuna, Compulsive Editor,...

Whilst others have an Ozumo rank (Jonidan, Sekiwake,...)

WHY?

And is it possible for a member to change his own "title"??

#25 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 09 December 2004 - 13:31

Some mebers have "titels" under their avatar
e.g. The BIG Kahuna, Compulsive Editor,...

Whilst others have an Ozumo rank (Jonidan, Sekiwake,...)

WHY?

And is it possible for a member to change his own "title"??

Ozumo rank is the default. It changes at certain milestones in post amount. You need 10 000 posts for dai-yokozuna rank. You can also edit it via your own "Edit profile". The space is empty by default but if you add something to the custom member title, it replaces the default.
The Core of Sumou is a very good thing always no matter if sumou is rotten or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users