Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,606 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 21:26

you forget the Kyushu 2002 (day2) victory Miya has against Takanohana

great nichonage kimarite  :-S

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, you must be a big Miyabiyama fan. Doesn't change the 0-11 though.

#27 Doitsuyama

Doitsuyama

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 7,606 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 21:27

you can watch the match here thanks to Chiyozakura's great site

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh, and it ain't Chiyozakura's site. He has a great site, but it isn't the one with the movies.

#28 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,707 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 23:26

you forget the Kyushu 2002 (day2) victory Miya has against Takanohana

great nichonage kimarite  :-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmm, you must be a big Miyabiyama fan. Doesn't change the 0-11 though.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes, don't trust the gyoji's gumbai when watching old bouts on banzuke.com, check the results tables, too. :-S

#29 aderechelsea

aderechelsea

Chelsea above all ....

• Regular Members
  • 5,426 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 11:09

yeah ... now that i checked the results i cannot find a single win for Miya against Taka ... weird.

i just posted the above cause i was sure i saw Miya win Taka when i was browsing in the kimarite list in Chiyozakura's site ...

and the Basho was Hatsu .. not Kyushu (my mistake) but i cannot find a match against these two back then .... can anyone clear that up ?

My "Virtual Heya" (Kyushu 2014): Kyokushuho 7-5, Tosayutaka 7-5, Shohozan 6-6, Tokushoryu 4-8, Toyonoshima 6-6, Ishiura 4-2

Virtual Oyakata: Musashigawa Mitsuhide (Yokozuna Musashimaru)

Adopted rikishi: Sd85w Kaiho 2-4 

Proud passenger of the "future Yokozuna Kyokushuho" bandwagon.

#30 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 12:05

eah ... now that i checked the results i cannot find a single win for Miya against Taka ... weird.

i just posted the above cause i was sure i saw Miya win Taka when i was browsing in the kimarite list in Chiyozakura's site ...

and the Basho was Hatsu .. not Kyushu (my mistake) but i cannot find a match against these two back then .... can anyone clear that up ?

The bout is on Chiyozakura's kimarite list because it is the only sample of a perfect nichonage around. There was a mono-ii in that bout and a rematch. That bout on day 2 Hatsu 2003 also virtually ended Takanohana's career since he suffered a shoulder injury on that fall. Miyabiiyama lost the rematch so hence he has no wins over Takanohana.

http://www.banzuke.c...abi_takahana.rm
http://www.banzuke.c...bi_takahana2.rm
http://www.banzuke.c...bi_takahana3.rm

Didn't have a picture of that nichonage but this picture is from similar situation where KaioU was about to beat Miya who then launched a great kubinage:

Posted Image
The Core of Sumou is a very good thing always no matter if sumou is rotten or not.

#31 Jonosuke

Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 15:42

The bout is on Chiyozakura's kimarite list because it is the only sample of a perfect nichonage around. There was a mono-ii in that bout and a rematch. That bout on day 2 Hatsu 2003 also virtually ended Takanohana's career since he suffered a shoulder injury on that fall. Miyabiiyama lost the rematch so hence he has no wins over Takanohana.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This bout on the 2003 Hatsu Basho Day 2 between Miyabiyama and Takanohana caused a great deal of controversy at the time on "Doutai-Shinitai".

Here are the lines from the next day's sports papers:

Daily Sports (page 1)
------------------------
Kyokai Phone Lines Jammed.
Protesting the call - "Why Doutai", "Why Rematch" "He Lost it".

Nikkan Sports (page 1)
--------------------------
Disgrace! Flipped over by Miyabiyama's Nichonage.
"Taka Lost!" - Over 100 Calls to Kyokai.

Sports Nippon (page 1)
Win Streak Intact after "Ippon Loss" Rematch.
Hits left shoulder hard. Save life by paying a high price.

Sports Houchi (last page)
----------------------------
Fallen Hard on Left Shoulder by Miyabiyama's Throw.
"Ippon Loss" Turns to "Doutai" Rematch.
Fans "Mono-ii" - 300 complaint calls to Kyokai.

Sankei Sports
----------------
100 Calls Protesting "Taka Rematch".

Tokyo Chunichi Sports
Calls Pour in over the Mono-ii.
"Miyabiyama Won". Over 100 Calls to Sumo Kyokai.

The calls came mostly from the TV viewers while the spectators at the Kokugikan went totally wild when the rematch was announced after the mono-ii. And this day's Cheif Dohyo Judge for the bout was none other than Mihogaseki Oyakata.

Mihogaseki Oyakata
------------------------
It really doesn't matter how the spectators are reacting in the arena. We are only watching the bout.

Some are talking about "Ippon" but this isn't Judo. If one is on the top of the other and touches the dohyo first, we can talk about the other is "shinitai" and perhaps "kabaite" comes into the picture. But this wasn't such a case. It wasn't a face-to-face situation. Even if he was being flipped over, from that position he attempted to sweep his opponent away with his left hand. Strictly speaking, Miyabiyama's right elbow touched the ground first . So personally I felt gunbai could have gone to the other way. I believe a rematch was entirely the appropriate decision under the circumstance.

+++++++++++

Not wanting to bring up the whole "shinitai-doutai" question all over again but this was not a case of one rikishi got yori-taoshi and was under his opponent and the opponent above used "kabaite" so the rikishi underneath was "shinitai".

But in this case Takanohana was the one who took an initiative by going with "morozashi" and directly resulted to this end as well so we could consider that it was an appropriate call.

You can review the video again and decide for yourself.

Note: I have a b/w picture for this but there is no add attachment box here so I can't add it even though I still have space left on my storage (In a state of confusion...)

Edited by Jonosuke, 11 December 2004 - 18:13.

< Heart Technique Physique >
More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours that keep us so tightly bound
You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies

#32 Rijicho

Rijicho

Personnel

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 17:11

Note: I have a b/w picture for this but there is no add attachment box here so I can't add it even though I still have space left on my storage confusion.gif

Works now. Featured rikishi-subforum didn't have upload function in use. Now it is.

#33 Jonosuke

Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 18:12

Note: I have a b/w picture for this but there is no add attachment box here so I can't add it even though I still have space left on my storage confusion.gif

Works now. Featured rikishi-subforum didn't have upload function in use. Now it is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now I am not sure if it's worth all the fanfare (In a state of confusion...)

Here's the pic showing Takanohana flipped over but still kept attacking Miyabiyama in the air. The gunbai went to Miyabiyama (right). The picture like this makes you realize how great Takanohana the yokozuna really was.

Edited by Jonosuke, 11 December 2004 - 18:19.

< Heart Technique Physique >
More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours that keep us so tightly bound
You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies

#34 Araiwa

Araiwa

Makushita

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 11 December 2004 - 19:13

Not only Takanohana was injured in this bout. (BTW the rematch was an even better example how you can win by superior concentration despite injury)

The next day Miyabiyama fought Asashoryu and after the loss went kyujo. I remember how sorry I felt for him, cause Miya had such a great start in that Hatsu 2003 (ginboshi against Azuma in the first bout). The other bad thing for him was, that he was not granted kosho (an ancient word from the old times) and had to start in march. There was fear of retirement (droping to juryo) but Miyabiyama did well with 9-6.

No nichonage again since Miyabiyama, no? Great throw, maybe Ama has the next one.
"Let the metal flow!" - Chuck Schuldiner

#35 genghis

genghis

Sandanme

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 19:41

While I do not disagree with the oppinions posted, I decided to add my impression.
A wrestler must possess few characteristics to be paid as a wrestler. Body, talent, will and intelligence. Miyabiama, I think, has the worst possessions of all in the sanyaku rank.

His weight has already gone over the treshold where he can't control his movements in a rational way. He can't stop if his opponent sidestepped, he can't stay low thanks to the enormous belly, and he can't tackle for long because of his weight. He might, however, serve well as training doll for other rikkishi.

He has no talent at all. Look at the way he is dumped by Asashoryu. Rikishi of this rank, and this weight should be able to at least avoid such an awfull defeat. And this is happening again and again. He doesn't understand what is going on. Every rikishi comes with the fire for revenge to Asa. But not him. I think Asa knows about it and dumps him like a bag of sand deliberately.

I don't see how people can count on him for ozeki run. He will soon be replaced from his sanyaku rank and sumo will look little more graceful then.

#36 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,088 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 19:49

While I do not disagree with the oppinions posted, I decided to add my impression.
A wrestler must possess few characteristics to be paid as a wrestler. Body, talent, will and intelligence. Miyabiama, I think, has the worst possessions of all in the sanyaku rank.

His weight has already gone over the treshold where he can't control his movements in a rational way. He can't stop if his opponent sidestepped, he can't stay low thanks to the enormous belly, and he can't tackle for long because of his weight. He might, however, serve well as training doll for other rikkishi.

He has no talent at all. Look at the way he is dumped by Asashoryu. Rikishi of this rank, and this weight should be able to at least avoid such an awfull defeat. And this is happening again and again. He doesn't understand what is going on. Every rikishi comes with the fire for revenge to Asa. But not him. I think Asa knows about it and dumps him like a bag of sand deliberately.

I don't see how people can count on him for ozeki run. He will soon be replaced from his sanyaku rank and sumo will look little more graceful then.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. To everything. No one who is a total zero like you picture him can stay in Sumo for long, let alone in Makuuchi, let alone Sanyaku. You are mistaken, and you dug up a year and a half old thread to boot.

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#37 genghis

genghis

Sandanme

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 20:06

Well, no matter who is the total zero, time will tell us. I wish you and dear Miyabyama a big Good Luck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No. To everything. No one who is a total zero like you picture him can stay in Sumo for long, let alone in Makuuchi, let alone Sanyaku. You are mistaken, and you dug up a year and a half old thread to boot.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#38 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,088 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 20:10

Well, no matter who is the total zero, time will tell us. I wish you and dear Miyabyama a big Good Luck!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you sir..but you didn't answer my question-how can he be a Sanyaku regular for four years, and yet be a zero? Huh? Huh? If he's a zero, what can you say about Kyokushuuzan and Kyokutenhou? Their records don't begin to compare with his.

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#39 genghis

genghis

Sandanme

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 21:05

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you sir..but you didn't answer my question-how can he be a Sanyaku regular for four years, and yet be a zero? Huh? Huh? If he's a zero, what can you say about Kyokushuuzan and Kyokutenhou? Their records don't begin to compare with his.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is a manifestation of best efforts from his Oyakata and all his hard work. Besides, I didn't say he is zero, I said there is no hope in him for ozeki and it will soon become the same for sanyaku.

As of Kyuokushuzan, he has a talent and wisdom. But we all know that he has no will to go for all. He is not the do-or-die kind of guy. Besides, his body frame is naturally not for sanyaku. So, in a sense, he is clever not to go for something he will never have even he tries as hard as he can. What is annoying about him is that he is literraly setting an example of how to stay afloat in makuuchi in a very disrespectful way. However, we sometimes enjoy his majestic sumo.

Kyokutenho was a volleyball player before he came to Japan. So, naturally he has no talent and no hope for anything serious. As you can tell, he doesn't have a clue about the bout he is facing. His body build is by no means close to that of a wrestler. Years of physical training, and hard work from his oyakata keeps him afloat in the makuuchi. I bet, any average American foorball player can do as good as him. I think Aminishiki and Kaiho are far better wrestlers.

As you asked about two Mongolian rikishi, let me go little further to avoid more questions on mongolian rikishi.

I wouldn't comment on Asa, Hakuho, and Ama. I would like to talk about Asasekiryu. He will take from where Miyabyama left. He is exactly the same kind of guy, whose appearance impress inexperienced watchers but never learns how to do sumo. I guess, Asa has lost his interest to do keiko with him. They were together all these years, yet Sekiryu hasn't improved slightest. So, what can you say in this case? Promising or hopeless?

Tokitenku is the worst mongolian rikishi. He looks like going for the baits deliberately. He describes all his mistakes in an interview with mongolian newspapers, yet he goes for it again and again. How on earth, a paid rikishi can act like this?

Are u satisfied?

#40 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,088 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 22:09

[I didn't say he is zero, I said there is no hope in him for ozeki and it will soon become the same for sanyaku.

This is a quote from you:

He has no talent at all

He is a sanyaku regular. He has talent.

Are u satisfied?

With what? Your backpeddling? Your obvious total ignorance of what Sumo is and the significance of rank? Of what exactly?
I think this conversation has just ended.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#41 genghis

genghis

Sandanme

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 23:11

[I didn't say he is zero, I said there is no hope in him for ozeki and it will soon become the same for sanyaku.

This is a quote from you:

He has no talent at all

He is a sanyaku regular. He has talent.

Are u satisfied?

With what? Your backpeddling? Your obvious total ignorance of what Sumo is and the significance of rank? Of what exactly?
I think this conversation has just ended.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If I totally ignored Sumo and its rank, as you, one of the the respected leaders of this forum, said, I wouldn't be committing so much labor into punching my keyboards. I respect what you think about Miyabyama, and I also think you do the same with my opinion, dear compulsive editor. There is nothing to backpedal in here. Wrestlers are different. One becomes Yokozuna, another becomes Ozeki, and yet another becomes a bag of sand or robocop etc. This is why we are here to watch, right? I just wonder if you know any other sport and read about it? If so, there is nothing to be irritated about when someone posts a bit critical opinion.
As of Miyabyama, I think, he is a product of an evolution, forced by the two Hawaian giants. The bigger the better. I guess, your remarkable experience will allow you to see that not only Miya, the entire Sumo has lost some of its grace and majesty due to this evolution. In contrast, its so watchable to look at Kotooshu, even in his defeat.
Dear compulsive editor, Wrestling is an art. I suggest you to watch Greco-Roman, free style and Judo a little bit. Then you will see at Sumo with great anticipations.

#42 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

• Active Members
  • 16,707 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 23:25

In contrast, its so watchable to look at Kotooshu, even in his defeat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Odd, I have the completely opposite opinion about Kotooshu's sumo. His technical skills can't be denied, but I wouldn't call his sumo particularly watchable. Much of the time, it's limbs flailing in every which direction with little motion control and no grace...basically, the way Kokkai's sumo would look like if only he was 15 cm taller. I'm sure it'll get better with experience, but Osh's not there yet.

By contrast, Ama's sumo is what I would call graceful. And Kyokutenho (yeah, that no-talent hack :-/) was the master of graceful sumo until about a year ago when his power started to wane.

Anyway, this is the second time you posted something deliberately controversial and outrageous, only to backtrack and backpedal when somebody called you on it and pointed out all the ways you were wrong. I can't help but see a pattern forming there.

But I'm going (Punk rocker...) ... :-)

Edited by Asashosakari, 13 July 2005 - 23:27.

#43 genghis

genghis

Sandanme

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 23:49

In contrast, its so watchable to look at Kotooshu, even in his defeat.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Odd, I have the completely opposite opinion about Kotooshu's sumo. His technical skills can't be denied, but I wouldn't call his sumo particularly watchable. Much of the time, it's limbs flailing in every which direction with little motion control and no grace...basically, the way Kokkai's sumo would look like if only he was 15 cm taller. I'm sure it'll get better with experience, but Osh's not there yet.

By contrast, Ama's sumo is what I would call graceful. And Kyokutenho (yeah, that no-talent hack :-/) was the master of graceful sumo until about a year ago when his power started to wane.

Anyway, this is the second time you posted something deliberately controversial and outrageous, only to backtrack and backpedal when somebody called you on it and pointed out all the ways you were wrong. I can't help but see a pattern forming there.

But I'm going (Punk rocker...) ... :-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am not sure how can Kyokutenho' sumo was ever graceful. Yurikiri? Rugby players can do that too. I remember, Mongolian amateur sumo wrestlers lost their throne when they started facing retired rugby and american football players from Izrael and Brazil. If you want to please yourself thinking that I am backpedaling, then it is up to you. It never came to my thought that I was proven wrong in anyway. Time is gonna tell us who is talented, Miyabyama or Osh. Nevertheless, I always wish good luck to all rikishi, and this time to you too.

#44 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

• Active Members
  • 16,707 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 00:07

I am not sure how can Kyokutenho' sumo was ever graceful. Yurikiri? Rugby players can do that too. I remember, Mongolian amateur sumo wrestlers lost their throne when they started facing retired rugby and american football players from Izrael and Brazil. If you want to please yourself thinking that I am backpedaling, then it is up to you.

Well, I'm sorry that Ozumo isn't free-style amateur wrestling and that it isn't Mongolian-style wrestling. If you choose to believe that anyone who does successful sumo by, you know, using traditional sumo techniques like yorikiri is a no-talent loser that doesn't belong in Makuuchi (or, doesn't belong into sumo at all, if I read your opinion correctly), that's your prerogative, but perhaps sumo is the wrong sport for you to follow, then.

It never came to my thought that I was proven wrong in anyway.

Yeah, that much has been obvious, just like the last time.

Time is gonna tell us who is talented, Miyabyama or Osh.

Err, time will tell us? Just as a reminder, Miyabiyama is six years older. Nobody expects Miya to be ranked higher than Osh in a few years, so I'm not exactly sure what time is supposed to tell us there.

Actually, I'm not sure why you need time to tell you whether Kotooshu is talented; he obviously is. But then, you seem to be the type of fan who thinks that any career that ends without a Yokozuna promotion is a disappointment, so I can see why you're not sure yet whether Osh is "talented".

Edited by Asashosakari, 14 July 2005 - 00:13.

#45 genghis

genghis

Sandanme

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 00:26

I am not sure how can Kyokutenho' sumo was ever graceful. Yurikiri? Rugby players can do that too. I remember, Mongolian amateur sumo wrestlers lost their throne when they started facing retired rugby and american football players from Izrael and Brazil. If you want to please yourself thinking that I am backpedaling, then it is up to you.

Well, I'm sorry that Ozumo isn't free-style amateur wrestling and that it isn't Mongolian-style wrestling. If you choose to believe that anyone who does successful sumo by, you know, using
traditional sumo techniques like yorikiri is a no-talent loser that doesn't belong in Makuuchi, that's your prerogative, but perhaps sumo is the wrong sport for you to follow, then.

You have quite a talent in twisting what people have said. Yurikiri is one of the many tricks in sumo and useful when used appropriately. And I didn't say yurikiri guys can't be in makuuchi, which in fact, 60% of all tricks used in makuuchi is actually yurikiri. While I keep my desire what sport I should follow private, I suggest you to try to know more about what you are trying to follow and what others think.

It never came to my thought that I was proven wrong in anyway.

Yeah, that much has been obvious, just like the last time.

I rather try to exchange opinions here, not to prove someone right or wrong. Apparently, correcting other's opinions make you happy, which might be quite extreme.

Time is gonna tell us who is talented, Miyabyama or Osh.

Err, time will tell us? Just as a reminder, Miyabiyama is six years older. Nobody expects Miya to be ranked higher than Osh in a few years, so I'm not exactly sure what time is supposed to tell us there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Comparison can be made according to their achievements and records, regardless of their present performance. I am not trying to prove you wrong. It will just be interesting.

#46 BuBa

BuBa

Juryo

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 20 July 2005 - 00:55

Sayn bayna uu Genghis,
To begin with I am a fellow Mongol and have been lurking in the forum for a while. Reading your posts here and elsewhere made me think about the wrong assumptions we Mongols tend to do while discussing sumo in forum.
Wrong assumption 1: As similar the boh and sumo look they not the same. Sounds obvious, but when we write about sumo we tend to think in terms of boh . This causes misunderstandings, for example a good technique of say Kyokushuzan could be seen as a cheap trick in eyes of a sumo fan. Vice versa a good yorikiri has as much a value for a boh fan as rotten rats ass.
Wrong assumption 2: As much you are an expert in boh or other wrestling styles, that doesn't make you one in sumo. Again boh and sumo different! So too frequent posts with pretension of expertise could be annoying to some members.
Wrong assumption 3: Sumo is not only about Asa. So there is no need to drag him in every sentence/post. Everybody knows, that Asa is good and we Mongolians proud of him.

This is about all, as Mongols say take what you find useful and toss away the rest. BTW your username and avatar couldn't be more cliche than that . (I am not worthy...)

Edited by BuBa, 20 July 2005 - 01:09.

#47 genghis

genghis

Sandanme

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 19:23

Sayn bayna uu Genghis,
To begin with I am a fellow Mongol and have been lurking in the forum for a while. Reading your posts here and elsewhere made me think about the wrong assumptions we Mongols tend to do while discussing sumo in forum.
Wrong assumption 1: As similar the boh and sumo look they not the same. Sounds obvious, but when we write about sumo we tend to think in terms of boh . This causes misunderstandings, for example a good technique of say Kyokushuzan could be seen as a cheap trick in eyes of a sumo fan. Vice versa a good yorikiri has as much a value for a boh fan as rotten rats ass.
Wrong assumption 2: As much you are an expert in boh or other wrestling styles, that doesn't make you one in sumo. Again boh and sumo different! So too frequent posts with pretension of expertise could be annoying to some members.
Wrong assumption 3: Sumo is not only about Asa. So there is no need to drag him in every sentence/post. Everybody knows, that Asa is good and we Mongolians proud of him. 

This is about all, as Mongols say take what you find useful and toss away the rest. BTW your username and avatar couldn't be more cliche than that .    (Clapping wildly...)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sain bna uu BuBa,

I was delighted to be greated by a fellow mongolian.

1. I never said yurikiri is a bad trip (read the ongoing conversation fully). In fact 60 % of all winning techniques is yurikiri. I said, someone with only yurikiri in his disposal isn't a good wrestler.

2. I think boh and sumo have more in common than a difference. Nevertheless, your philosophical reflection on the difference of boh and sumo is agreed by many, including me. However, I should say that I just don't remember when I actually compared buh with the sumo. You might be confusing my say about mongolian amateur sumo wrestlers (who, you know, were quite successful during early 90s and paved the way for professionals). As a fellow mongolian, I understand as much as you that boh cannot be compared with the sumo.
3. As of Asashoryu, his name is already far often mentioned in all sumo related topic (just google with "sumo", and do some arithmetics), so I just don't understand why I cannot refer to him as much as others do? Nevertheless, you might want to read my posts fully to find out that there are, indeed, mentioned far many different rikishi, and they are just treated as equal, regardless of their nativity.

Your post was, however, indicative that you care about mongolians while being critical about their repuatation, which is a very good thing. BTW,

#48 Doitsuyama

Doitsuyama

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 7,606 posts

Posted 21 July 2005 - 20:33

1. I never said yurikiri is a bad trip (read the ongoing conversation fully). In fact 60 % of all winning techniques is yurikiri. I said, someone with only yurikiri in his disposal isn't a good wrestler.

It's yorikiri, and it's not 60%. Far from it. Still, it's the most frequent kimarite, yes.

Far more important is the second sentence here. Interestingly the frequence of yorikiri RISES when you rise the ranks, from Makushita to Makuuchi. Some great Yokozuna like Kitanoumi and Takanohana perfected that so much, that they won really often with yorikiri.

I thus think a higher frequency of yorikiri might be indicative of a good wrestler. While I might easily be wrong, I at least gave some examples. Where are your examples? It is easy to put up hypotheses, even bold ones, with great conviction. Those who make the boldest statements, often don't bother to come up with some evidence. I fear you are no different here.

#49 genghis

genghis

Sandanme

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 July 2005 - 17:40

It's yorikiri, and it's not 60%. Far from it. Still, it's the most frequent kimarite, yes.

Far more important is the second sentence here. Interestingly the frequence of yorikiri RISES when you rise the ranks, from Makushita to Makuuchi. Some great Yokozuna like Kitanoumi and Takanohana perfected that so much, that they won really often with yorikiri.

I thus think a higher frequency of yorikiri might be indicative of a good wrestler. While I might easily be wrong, I at least gave some examples. Where are your examples? It is easy to put up hypotheses, even bold ones, with great conviction. Those who make the boldest statements, often don't bother to come up with some evidence. I fear you are no different here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with that higher ranking wrestlers use yurikiri more often. I agree that yukiri itself is a trip that every rikishi must master.

More yurikiri at higher rank might mean that high ranking wrestlers are usually the ones superior in strength and technique, so they are not always in need to resort to highly acrobatic trips at first place. It doesn't mean they forgot the other trips, lost their skills or shape to perform them, is it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users