Wakakosho

#2 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Kokakuka- Sunenikizumotsu

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,516 posts

Posted 23 June 2004 - 22:08

First rikishi to get a MK at the bottom of Juryo(Juryo LAST) and not get demoted since 1933. Has his own site at:http://www.wakakousyo.com/

Edited by Kintamayama, 23 June 2004 - 22:09.

"I wouldn't play for free even if you paid me!!"
Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
Posted Image

#3 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 25 June 2004 - 11:54

Wakakosho once had same number in both kilograms and centimetres. 185cm/185kg, He has slimmed down a bit and currently weighs 175kg. Born in 1975. He belongs to Matsugane-beya with Harunoyama and Nakao amongst others. His sumo is rather orthodox. Not much specialities and it is very difficult to find anything worth mentioned about his style or success. Yorikiri, oshidashi and some pulldowns mostly although sukuinage is his preferred throwing technique. He is not dominating any rikishi really and loses to superior rikishi quite predictably. He has good records against Zakura-bros though (5-2 against Toyozakura and 8-5 against Kitazakura).

HIs personal website has some interesting information. From there one can find at least following facts:

Blood type : O
Size of foot: 28.5cm
Eye sight: 1.5 both so not that bad
Dream in case no sumo career: Aeroplane pilot
Why so?: As a young kid I saw an aeroplane for the first time and was greatly impressed
Least favourite foods: schrimp, crab..
Hobby: Fishing
Special feature: Buying on impulse (can't remember what is the English idiom for this heräteostostaipumus thing)
Latest item bought that way: Computer
Motto: Is it crime to be this handsome?

Wakakosho has been amazingly stable throughout his career. Only one disaster and must have been suffering from injury or illness at that time as he looked simply a carcass on the dohyo. In Haru 1999 he entered the high makushita land and had 4 bashos with 3-4,4-3,4-3,4-3 at high makushita before debuting in juryo. Then 8-7,8-7,6-9,7-8 before a career highlight basho in Aki 2000. 12-3 record at J8 + jun-yusho after 14-1 Kotomitsuki. He was promoted to makuuchi where he started his next stability era. 7-8 at M14E in Kyushu 2000, then 6-9 at M14W followed by juryo bashos 8-7,6-9,8-7,7-8,7-8,7-8,8-7,6-9,7-8,8-7,8-7,6-9,7-8,7-8,6-9 and then a disaster at Aki 2003 with 1-14 at J11. Demotion to makushita but repromotion after couple of 4-3 at makushita. In Haru 2004 and Natsu 2004 he got 7-8 at M14E and M14W respectively and due to banzuke luck is still at the bottom of juryo waiting for Nagoya basho.

Wakakosho got some spotlight time when Takanohana was starting sekitori-keiko after looong pause. Wakakosho was the rikishi who beat Takanohana at one the first keiko sessions and made reporters sigh in despair.

Wakakosho is Mr stability indeed:

Sekitori career:

8-7: 7 times
7-8: 11 times
6-9: 5 times

And once 12-3 and 1-14! Never less than 6 wins when healthy. Kachi koshi is practically always 8-7. Since Hatsu 2003 he hasn't had single kachi koshi in juryo. Two 4-3s at makushita. Drink to that!

Posted Image
The Core of Sumou is a very good thing always no matter if sumou is rotten or not.

#4 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 29 June 2004 - 18:06

Posted Image
The Core of Sumou is a very good thing always no matter if sumou is rotten or not.

#5 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 10:56

Questions!!!

1. What is Wakakosho to you?

2. Do you remember any Wakakosho bouts that made an impression on you?

3. Are there any Wakakosho-fans here? Are you a fan? Are you an anti-fan? Why?
I have a faint recollection that one Austrian guy is a fan of Wakakosho!

#6 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Kokakuka- Sunenikizumotsu

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,516 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 11:43

Lucky.

No. I don't remember any Wakakoushou bouts period.

I seem to always choose him in some game or other, only to be let down by him. He will be 9-6 this time. I am not a fan of his. Or a non-fan. He's air to me.

Edited by Kintamayama, 03 July 2004 - 11:50.

"I wouldn't play for free even if you paid me!!"
Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
Posted Image

#7 Jakusotsu

Jakusotsu

North Pole Ichimon

• Moderators
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 12:05

I have a faint recollection that one Austrian guy is a fan of Wakakosho!

You're right on this one: Gernobono is a big fan of Wakakosho!
"I don't believe anyone has the right not to be offended by something." - ryafuji

#8 Gernobono

Gernobono

Sekiwake

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 13:28

1. Wakakosho was the first rikishi from juryo i ever followed (reason see 3.) ...He is very consistent in his results. He is some kind of scottie pippen for me. Noboody ever talked about him as long there was michael jordan. i always liked pippen because he was very bad on one day and very good the other day....wakakosho is just the same....you never know the outcome of his bouts...unless he is x-8....than he will win....

on the other hand he is (was) the rikishi with the best website....and this is something i liked when i came across his site first

i like his stature as i am more into the heavy guys than the "slender" ones...

if you look at the pictures in this thraed...don't you have to like him?

2. not specifically......

3. It is an incident that he has his birthday the day i have.. He is exactly 10 years younger than i am and this "connection" is more than i have with most other rikishi.

#9 Kashunowaka

Kashunowaka

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 03 July 2004 - 15:58

A handsome criminal.

Not a particular bout, but a particular basho: the one when he went 1-14 sticks out in my mind.

Yes. No. No. My mind is blank.

#10 aderechelsea

aderechelsea

Chelsea above all ....

• Regular Members
  • 5,422 posts

Posted 04 July 2004 - 08:10

just a rikishi i barely new his face before this pics were posted here...

definately not ....

i don't know any,i am not a fan,i am not anti-fan either,because i never really cared about him.....

Edited by aderechelsea, 04 July 2004 - 08:11.

My "Virtual Heya" (Haru 2014): Kyokushuho 8-7, Tosayutaka 5-2, Shohozan 5-10, Tokushoryu 9-6, Toyonoshima 5-10, Ishiura 4-3

Virtual Oyakata: Musashigawa Mitsuhide (Yokozuna Musashimaru)

Adopted rikishi: Jd5e Hokutoki 5-2 KK .... Jd30w Kaiho 4-3 KK

Proud passenger of the "future Yokozuna Kyokushuho" bandwagon.

#11 DRiFTLUX-SHiNGO

DRiFTLUX-SHiNGO
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:22

i am a fan Wakakosho is awesome he seems hella nice too =]

#12 Halil

Halil
  • Guests

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:26

Wakakosho is a true gentleman and a fantastik sportsman! ;:^)

#13 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 18:04

Wakakosho is a true gentleman and a fantastik sportsman! ;:^)

Yes! He is very gentle too I bet because he had same weight and height in numbers at some point. Fantastik and heavy, true sportsman and true eater. He retired a while ago from active sumou.

Where are all the other fans of Wakakosho? Lets form a circle.

#14 aderechelsea

aderechelsea

Chelsea above all ....

• Regular Members
  • 5,422 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 18:12

join hands with arms bent then because it is hard to make a circle with just 2 people.

(In a state of confusion...)

EDIT: ok now i see you are 3 .. then everything is fine ...

Edited by aderechelsea, 20 November 2006 - 18:13.

My "Virtual Heya" (Haru 2014): Kyokushuho 8-7, Tosayutaka 5-2, Shohozan 5-10, Tokushoryu 9-6, Toyonoshima 5-10, Ishiura 4-3

Virtual Oyakata: Musashigawa Mitsuhide (Yokozuna Musashimaru)

Adopted rikishi: Jd5e Hokutoki 5-2 KK .... Jd30w Kaiho 4-3 KK

Proud passenger of the "future Yokozuna Kyokushuho" bandwagon.

#15 Jakusotsu

Jakusotsu

North Pole Ichimon

• Moderators
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 22:49

Me too, me too! Well, at least I remember him, which is much more than I can say about....whassis name again? :-S
"I don't believe anyone has the right not to be offended by something." - ryafuji

#16 Halil

Halil
  • Guests

Posted 22 November 2006 - 08:20

Where are all the other fans of Wakakosho? Lets form a circle.

Well, I'm almosta s big as Wakakosho, so I make a circle almost by myself! ;) Add two others...

#17 Jonosuke

Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 20:04

I don't think anyone around here is even remotely interested in discussing about Wakakosho any more but since there is nothing written about him for a while, we might as well put a period to his active career life officially here, in case some souls start searching for a sign of his presence elsewhere on this Forum.

First Kaikitsune mentioned some details about his career. I admit I myself don't know too much about him and he wasn't a rikishi I particularly followed as he spent most of his sumo existence in Juryo. From Japanese "Rikishi Meikan" and Wikipedia, I have pilfered some tidbits as well as I did some digging to find what he is up to now.

He was born on March 4, 1975 in Nishiwaki City, Hyogo Prefecture, the place often known as the navel of Japan, as it is located in the geographical center of Japan. As a kid he used to like swimming but after he gained weight he switched to play baseball, His parents owned a small coffee shop where a friend of Matsugane oyakata (former Ozeki Wakashimazu)saw him and got the oyakata to come over as he happened to visiting the area for a jungyo tour.

Wakakosho already weighed over 100 kg at the time and he was about to write a high school entry exam. He had no interest at all of joining Ozumo but the oyakata persuaded him to join several more times and finally invited to watch the March Basho in Osaka. Basically to make the short story even shorter, he joined the heya at the 1990 May Basho.

Even though he was kind of tall and heavy (185 cm, 120 kg or so when he joined), he never learned to go with sharp powerful tachiai and did not acquire a skill to pull his opponents in to him by grabbing the mawashi firmly.

However he progressed enough to get to be just a step away from Juryo at the 1996 November Basho. But then he injured his left knee seriously and his life as a Makushita continued for quite some time.

At the 1999 November Basho he was ranked at Makushita East 1 and had a record of 3 win and 3 loss after Day 11. On the Senshuraku he was scheduled to face Mainoumi ranked at Juryo West 10. Mainoumi stood with 6 wins 8 loss at that point. It so happened that Mainoumi and Wakakosho made the dohyo debut at the same time but their active career diverged significantly since then. By this time Mainoumi looked totally exhausted physically being hampered especially by his knee injury.

Wakakosho beat Mainoumi on the Senshuraku and got his kachikoshi and Mainoumi went to 6 win and 9 loss that basho. It turned out to be Mainoumi's last career bout.

At the 2000 September Basho Wakakosho ranked at Juryo East 8 had one of those amazing basho where everything he did turned to magic. From Day 8 on he never lost, finishing with 12 win and 3 loss. Unfortunately for Wakakosho there was another rikishi who has outshone him as Kotomitsuki won the Juryo Yusho with an amazing 14 win and 1 loss record.

In the following November Basho, Wakakosho made his Makuuchi debut ranked at Maegashira East 14. He finished with 7 win and 8 loss record and the following basho ranked at Maegashira West 14 he finished with 6 win and 9 loss. These were the only two basho he ever spent in Makuuchi.

From the 2001 March Basho to his last basho, 2005 March Basho he spent most of his time in Juryo having six Makushita Basho scattered through, the last four just prior to his retirement were all in Makushita, At his last basho, 2005 March, he was down to Makushita West 33. He had one fusen loss on Day 2 and never came back after that. So in a real sense his last basho was at the 2005 January Basho when he was ranked at Makushita East 18 when he finished with 2 win and 5 loss.

He did not have any eligibility to stay with the Kyokai and soon his Wakakosho.com website was taken down.

Wakakosho is currentl operating a fashionable chanko restaurant near Sannomiya train station in Kobe called "Nabe Dining Sho" , open 365 days a year from 17:00 to 02:00. One feature of the restaurant is showcasing a different Kesho mawashi every day.

Edited by Jonosuke, 19 October 2008 - 20:08.

< Heart Technique Physique >
More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours that keep us so tightly bound
You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users