Photo

The Six Ozeki Poll

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
19 replies to this topic

Poll: The Six Ozeki Poll (38 member(s) have cast votes)

For how many basho do you think there will be six Ozeki?

1. Less than 6 basho (ie, under a year) (15 votes [39.47%])

Percentage of vote: 39.47%

2. 6 to 12 basho (20 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

3. More than 12 basho (ie, over two years) (3 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

When one of the Ozeki leaves the rank, what do you think the reason will be?

1. Promotion to Yokozuna (17 votes [44.74%])

Percentage of vote: 44.74%

2. Demotion from Ozeki (16 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

3. Retirement as Ozeki (5 votes [13.16%])

Percentage of vote: 13.16%

And who do you think will be the first of the six to leave the rank (for the reason you voted for)?

1. Kotooshu (16 votes [42.11%])

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

2. Harumafuji (4 votes [10.53%])

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

3. Baruto (12 votes [31.58%])

Percentage of vote: 31.58%

4. Kotoshogiku (3 votes [7.89%])

5. Kisenosato (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Kakuryu (3 votes [7.89%])

Vote

#1 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 23:57

I originally intended to set this up after the Natsu basho, as I thought it might help to see what happened in the first basho with six Ozeki. But actually, now is probably better since they're all starting from scratch, as it were - none of them are on a Yokozuna run or in a kadoban situation.

Timewise, I went for the middle ground, 6 to 12 basho. Next, I went for Demotion as the reason for losing an Ozeki, simply because I think that's more likely to happen before another tsunatori. Finally, I went for Kotooshu as the first to leave the rank - nothing personal, he certainly has his brilliant days, but they are few and far between when set against his record over the last couple of years. He also seems more susceptible to injury than the rest, unfortunately.

Anyway, let's see what happens.

#2 Asojima

Asojima

Ancient Observer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 00:19

I agree that Kotooshu will be the first to go and it will be downward. I don't think he will last more than 6 bashos.

Inside every old person there is a young person who wonders what the hell happened. 

Adoptee: Hitachigo (Ms29w), 29 yrs; 148.8kg/183cm, 11th year, High: Ms15w ---- Kyushu ( 2 - 5 )
Adoptee: Homarefuji (M12w), 29 yrs; 149.2kg/179cm, 7th year, High: M12w   ----- Kyushu ( 8 - 7 )

#3 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,714 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 00:27

I'll go for the Baruto yokozuna promotion sometime within the next year.

Osh is pretty clearly the least of the three "old" ozeki, but every time I've written him off over the past few years he has one of those tournaments where he barely seems to care and still walks away with 9 easy victories, so I've given up making meaningful long-term predictions about him altogether...

#4 Fay

Fay

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:08

Of course I go for a yokozuna promotion for Kakuryu :-)

Well I hope this will happen first. My demotion Ozeki is Baruto. I don't know why i'm always so pessimistic with this guy, I'm always wrong when there is a poll or question about him ... ;-)

Visit my sumo website:

Sumo-Webpaper

#5 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:30

I agree that Kotooshu will be the first to go and it will be downward. I don't think he will last more than 6 bashos.

Exact same vote. Great minds etc..

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#6 Jejima

Jejima

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 4,736 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 16:19

ditto
2004 by Boltono

#7 Torabayama

Torabayama

Juryo

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 17:01

Same here: 6-12, demotion, Kotooshu.
虎葉山

#8 Asojima

Asojima

Ancient Observer

• Active Members
  • 4,151 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 17:17

ditto

I almost voted that he would retire as an ozeki. His heart is no longer in it.

Edited by Asojima, 15 April 2012 - 17:22.

Inside every old person there is a young person who wonders what the hell happened. 

Adoptee: Hitachigo (Ms29w), 29 yrs; 148.8kg/183cm, 11th year, High: Ms15w ---- Kyushu ( 2 - 5 )
Adoptee: Homarefuji (M12w), 29 yrs; 149.2kg/179cm, 7th year, High: M12w   ----- Kyushu ( 8 - 7 )

#9 kuroimori

kuroimori

Entropy isn't what it used to be

• Regular Members
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 17:55

I also went for 6-12 basho & demotion - but for the Geek,

I really think he doesn't have what it takes to hold on to the rank for too long.

kuroimori

黒森

Q: Why is it so hard to tell puns to kleptomaniacs?

A: Because they always take things literally.

#10 yorikiried by fate

yorikiried by fate

Ozeki

• Active Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 20:02

I really think he doesn't have what it takes to hold on to the rank for too long.

Same here.
Give me all your money! http://www.andreaskungl.com

#11 Torabayama

Torabayama

Juryo

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:53

ditto

I almost voted that he would retire as an ozeki. His heart is no longer in it.

I can't remember the last time it looked like his heart was in it. Has he every said what his post-retirement plans are?

Edited by Torabayama, 16 April 2012 - 02:53.

虎葉山

#12 Oshirokita

Oshirokita

Komusubi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:13

A while ago I answered one of these polls predicting Harumafuji would be the next yokozuna. I will stick my neck out again and reaffirm that, in less than 6 basho.... (Whistling...)

I notice you don't have an option for getting a 7th ozeki before we lose one of the current 6. Not that there is anyone close to making it before we lose some of the current crop, of course.

#13 Bugman

Bugman

Leaf Nibbler

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 16:55

I chose "less than 6 basho"" for the first question, "promotion to yokozuna" for the second question and "Baruto" for the third question.

Despite kotooshu's recurringly poor form, i think he has enough in him to stay as Ozeki (apart from the fact i would very much like him to stay anyway) i also think Baruto is just getting better and better, his last basho may have been a little too much too soon after his previous success and his nerves may have gotten the better of him, but i think he is devastating on his day and should he reach his peak regularly i can see him becoming Yokozuna, though he will never be like Hakuho i don't think.

These all just uneducated guesses by me of course, but i wanted to join in the fun :-D

It's interesting you say this, i am in two minds about kotoshogiku, sometimes his belly-bump looks invincible, other-times when it doesn't work he looks a little bit at a loss, only time will tell i guess.

A while ago I answered one of these polls predicting Harumafuji would be the next yokozuna. I will stick my neck out again and reaffirm that, in less than 6 basho.... (Whistling...)

I hope! Harumafuji is the most exciting rikishi for me when he is in top form even though i do not usually cheer for him, if i was a rikishi i would fear him most, i find him to be the scariest, baddest (in a good way :-D ) rikishi in the dohyo when he is firing all cylinders, even scarier than Hakuho :)

Edited by Bugman, 16 April 2012 - 17:27.

To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain and play with it.  -  Charlie Chaplin

#14 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 21:47

I notice you don't have an option for getting a 7th ozeki before we lose one of the current 6. Not that there is anyone close to making it before we lose some of the current crop, of course.

That's pretty much why I didn't include it, since it's so unlikely. I wanted to keep it as simple as possible, which is why I also didn't include the possible scenario of a simultaneous event, ie one being promoted and another being demoted (or retiring) in the same basho. In any case, anyone who wants to 'vote' for either of those scenarios can feel free to just ignore the actual poll and write it here in the thread. :-)

Thanks a lot to everyone who has voted so far! (Sign of approval...)

#15 Sashohitowa

Sashohitowa

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:51

....he has one of those tournaments where he barely seems to care and still walks away with 9 easy victories...

"Seem not to care" seems to be his "thing" anyway. At least for a Bulgarian in teh eyes of a Bulgarian, he seems extremely calm and passionless :)

差諸曳常

Favorites: Kotooshu, Asasekiryu, Tochiozan, Yoshikaze, Aoiyama, Myogiryu
Great respect to Former Ozeki Chiyotaikai!

"I didn't do a henka. That wasn't a henka, it only looked like one."
Kyokutenho, Day 4, Haru Basho 2007

#16 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,714 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:33

"Seem not to care" seems to be his "thing" anyway. At least for a Bulgarian in teh eyes of a Bulgarian, he seems extremely calm and passionless :)

Well, we do have those Stoyanov arrest threads to tell us what passionate Bulgarian sumo wrestlers can (allegedly) get up to. ;-)

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

Seriously though, Osh is pretty much the tall-but-thin alter ego of his shisho ex-Kotonowaka, isn't he? Another rikishi that had the "oh, if only he had a bit more spirit to go with his physical tools..." rap all career long.

Edited by Asashosakari, 18 April 2012 - 12:36.

#17 Sashohitowa

Sashohitowa

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:44

I have voted for a yokozuna promotion for Harumafuji in 2 year period.

First of all, I believe that Hakuho being the lonely Yokozuna will not last forever. Somebody will have to be promoted up there. Unless he continues to be one lap ahead of everybody else, which is possible of course.

So from the current crowd I think that only Harumafuji and Baruto have what is needed for the tsuna, so my vote went to Ama, who is more convincing in my oppinion.

If we are looking for who will be the first one to get a demotion, I'd go with Kisenosato. And for for the first retirement candidate as an Ozeki: Kotooshu. he is the oldest one from teh pack, in the end ;-)

差諸曳常

Favorites: Kotooshu, Asasekiryu, Tochiozan, Yoshikaze, Aoiyama, Myogiryu
Great respect to Former Ozeki Chiyotaikai!

"I didn't do a henka. That wasn't a henka, it only looked like one."
Kyokutenho, Day 4, Haru Basho 2007

#18 ryafuji

ryafuji

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 19:36

I find it interesting that Kotooshu has quietly moved close to being among the top five longest serving ozeki in terms of tournaments, as the May basho will be his 38th as ozeki on the banzuke, just behind Konishiki currently in fifth place on 39, and he is still only 29 years old. That said, I still see him being the first to go, and have voted for him being demoted from ozeki some time in the next 6 to 12 basho. I think he may still continue to fight on in those circumstances, in a similar fashion to Konishiki and Takanonami.

#19 Vikanohara

Vikanohara

Rattlehead

• Active Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:25

Less than 6 basho, as Kotooshu will drop down.

Edited by Vikanohara, 04 May 2012 - 10:28.

People in glass houses should not be throwing stones.

Life is short, so learn from your mistakes.
And stand behind the choices that you make.

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

#20 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 16:30

I completely forgot about this until I came to make my first effort at guessing the banzuke.

Not everyone who voted revealed their choices in the thread of course, but of those who did we must take our collective hats off to Oshirokita, who got his prediction absolutely spot on - Harumafuji promoted to Yokozuna within six basho. (I am not worthy...)

Honourable mentions to Sashohitowa (wrong timespan) and Bugman (wrong Ozeki).

Thanks to everyone who took part! (Sign of approval...)

============

Screenshot of the original results (two people voted after I unlocked the topic and neglected to re-lock it):

SO1.png

Edited by Yubinhaad, 05 January 2013 - 16:16.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users