3 replies to this topic

#1 Andreas21

Andreas21

Juryo

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 13:27

From the numbers, a perfect Juryu debut by the promising youngster. I've just reviewed the bouts and I have to confess that I'm not very impressed. He's heavy, standing solid and doesn't make many bad moves. But it's not very exciting what he does, profits from mistakes of the opponents (for instance the slip by Sotairyu). Almost lost to Kokkai but Kok is so far off that he manages to turn around. Best achievement was to be able to push the smaller and lighter upper Juryo out (Asahoshi, Sagatsukasa). I really wonder if he can raise higher with this humble, defensive approach.

Complete opposite to Kotoyuki (the other very young in the division) who appears very eager all the time but overdoes it often and loses bouts to mistakes.

Opinions?

#2 Bealzbob

Bealzbob

Komusubi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 14:14

Well one thing is for certain. He has time on his side. He's not even 19½ yet. You have to go down to Tatsu @ Ms16e to find someone younger (and he went MK). I would be confident that Chiyootori's oyakata will be well aware of his rikishi's shortcomings at this stage in his development. Though he must be doing something right in order to get to where he has at this point.
2010 Haru & 2011 Kyushu GTB winner :D

Favourites : O1e Baruto | M4e Homasho | M12w Tosayutaka

Adoptees : J3w Masunoyama, Ms1w Chiyootori, Ms5w Akiseyama

Honourable mention to : Kisenosato, Kyokutenho

#3 Pandaazuma

Pandaazuma

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 879 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:43

Yeah he wasn't all that impressive to me but I have no doubt he will improve greatly. He's way too cautious for my liking...very defensive. I'd like to see a few more straight-out oshi-dashi or yori-kiri wins.

#4 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,736 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 01:57

I seem to recall him being quite a bit more aggressive in his upper makushita appearances, so my guess is he was just being extra-cautious to not screw up his first sekitori shots. (Conversely, I don't think Kotoyuki even has a cautious mode...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users