Photo

Kakuryu Ozeki run

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#101 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,341 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:02

... I missed the Goeido match ... he seemed to lack any power to stop the charge; nerves I guess

He started too late so the momentum was all on Goeido.

Rewatching the bout I don't see him starting late there, they're both coming out of the blocks at the same time. Goeido just decided to go risky by coming in fairly low (many other bouts end right there in a slapdown), seized the brief advantage with his harite, and because his low tachiai meant he could easily get under Kakuryu and raise him up that moment of disorientation was all it took to decide the bout.

Smart strategy against an opponent who was likely to be a bit cautious (so as not to get slapped down himself, for instance).

Edited by Asashosakari, 26 March 2012 - 11:05.

#102 Andreas21

Andreas21

Makushita

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 13:33

Rewatching the bout I can only agree with you. Still, he was not able to react properly which he was able during other bouts of the tournament. Didn't he have the full focus? Or is he generally vulnerable to certain forms of attack?

#103 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,707 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 13:52

Rewatching the bout I can only agree with you. Still, he was not able to react properly which he was able during other bouts of the tournament. Didn't he have the full focus? Or is he generally vulnerable to certain forms of attack?

I'd say with a first yusho that is his to lose and that Ozeki promotion, he just lost it mentally. I'm pretty sure if the bout was on day 6 he would have won it. This specific bout by no means can be categorized under "generally"..

I am retroactive.
Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#104 wanderer

wanderer

Juryo

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 18:02

Kak hasn't shown any superior level of sumo skills over Goeido's yet and he just lost the bout this time. It is not a big surprise, and nerves must have aggravated his reaction as well. In any given day, these two will have 50-50 winning chances. Some will say that their past record favors Kak 8:3 over Goeido, but that is just that. Goeido's win is hardly an upset.

What surprised me was the level of Kakuryu's resilience against Hakuho, and Hakuho wasn't exactly fooling around at the ketteisen.

Anyway, happy for Kakuryu as a fellow Mongol, and we now have 2 ozeki, and a yokozuna.

#105 Pandaazuma

Pandaazuma

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 00:52

Yes, I actually left Kakuryu out of my Sumo Game line-up (sorry Moti!!) because I felt that a Goeido win would not be an upset. Goeido was the unsung hero of the basho in the second week...showing what he is capable of when he is not being a headcase (like Tochiozan). Kakuryu is very good against the big top guys and regularly beats them, but he always seems a little uncomfortable against half-decent smaller rikishi. Recall the bout against Myogiryu this basho, for instance. Also, as mentioned above, Goeido got his tactics right...taking advantage of a likely cautious Kakuryu.

Glad Kakuryu has been promoted, though: he deserves it. A bit more bulk and aggression and he could make yokozuna with the skills he has.

#106 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,341 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 03:07

Posted Image

#107 Fay

Fay

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,915 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:06

As was said before, Kakuryu's loss against Goeido was just a mental thing. He told me on the Senshuraku party that he was as nervous as anyone can be. And when I look at my pics I can see he really was. So no problem, he will get a bit less pressure for the next basho as if he had won the yusho.

Visit my sumo website:

Sumo-Webpaper

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users