25 replies to this topic

#1 hoshidango

hoshidango

Maegashira

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 03:23

Just to add some conflicting information I obtained for some stories behind retirement.

In addition to his famous chronic foot joint problems, he developed irregular heart beat and had to be hospitalized for ten days. At one time "heart was actually stopping". The doctor warned his life is in danger if he continued to attend Sumo.

Consequently he barely had any practise prior to basho and at two last matches he "did not feel any power left in his legs".

Some report says he did have some Keiko after returning from hopital for one day with his juniors. And he told his wife "this(basho) might be it" prior to the tournament.

There were some other stories on pneumonia or cold etc, but there is more consensus in irregular heartbeat story.

For the honour of Nami.

Edited by hoshidango, 12 May 2004 - 07:53.

#2 Zuikakuyama

Zuikakuyama

Komusubi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 06:33

Really sad to hear this, but hardly unexpected. :-D

#3 Fujisan

Fujisan

The crimson short one!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,960 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 09:54

Yes,definately not unexpected-Shame though! :

Best of kuck in retirement Nami! :-D
What you lack in experience and knowledge,you more than make up in sheer bloody mindedness)

Ivor(The driver) Moore to Paul(Fujisan)Sharp

#4 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 12:25

First comments by Nami: "I thought of intai when I was demoted from ozeki but I decided to carry on. Now I feel very satisfied with what I have accomplished. >crying< I want to raise rikishi with strong heart (tsuyoi kokoro) by being a supportive oyakata.
The Core of Sumou is a very good thing always no matter if sumou is rotten or not.

#5 aderechelsea

aderechelsea

Chelsea above all ....

• Regular Members
  • 5,423 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 13:11

i want to see what Takanohana will do know that his best rikishi is gone......
not the best heya to do keiko.I feel sorry for the lower ranked rikishi there.

good decision though by Nami.

It was getting painfull to see him in the dohyo, even though i have to admit he was never one of my favourites

My "Virtual Heya" (Natsu 2014): Kyokushuho 4-2, Tosayutaka 2-4, Shohozan 4-2, Tokushoryu 2-4, Toyonoshima 3-3, Ishiura 0-3

Virtual Oyakata: Musashigawa Mitsuhide (Yokozuna Musashimaru)

Adopted rikishi: Sd72w Hokutoki 1-2  .... Jd8e Kaiho 3-0 

Proud passenger of the "future Yokozuna Kyokushuho" bandwagon.

#6 Yoavoshimaru

Yoavoshimaru

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 14:19

I called it yesterday (I am not worthy...) He was one of my favorites, but I guess the time is up. Good luck in his post active rikishi years! I hope he finds a good oyakata situation.

#7 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,678 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 15:13

Nami in tears:

Posted Image

I am retroactive.
Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#8 Zuikakuyama

Zuikakuyama

Komusubi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 16:08

I felt really sad watching that interview.

I believe his thought at being retired is that he felt "relieved".

Lets hope Takanohana wont drive him away like Akinshima. . . but I dont have a good feeling watching Takanohana's demeanor at the interview.

#9 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,280 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 16:26

Lets hope Takanohana wont drive him away like Akinshima. . . but I dont have a good feeling watching Takanohana's demeanor at the interview.

Aki and Nami might make for a promising Oyakata duo if they could get a stable of their own, although with the way Takanohana has been acting, that would probably only happen as a result of a violent split from Futagoyama. (In so far as something like that would actually be possible in Ozumo...) Is there precedence for oyakata establishing their own heya over the objections of their former shisho?

#10 Zentoryu

Zentoryu

Far off Dragon

• Active Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 17:17

Didn't Chiyonofuji (Kokonoe) have a bad split with Hokutoumi or something? Or am I remembering wrong. :-) (Laughing...)
"Gee, Brain, what are we going to do tonight?"

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky: Try to take over the WORLD!"

#11 Kashunowaka

Kashunowaka

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 17:47

Lets hope Takanohana wont drive him away like Akinshima. . .  but I dont have a good feeling watching Takanohana's demeanor at the interview.

In what way was Takanohana's demeanour alarming (asked by one who hasn't seen the interview in question)?

#12 Sasanishiki

Sasanishiki

Yokozuna

• Moderators
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 20:26

When does nami get his toshiyori name? Will he get Fujishima do you think? This would allow Takanohana to let Aki take the other name (which escapes me just at the moment)

#13 Yubiquitoyama

Yubiquitoyama

Yubish

• Archived Members
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 20:28

When does nami get his toshiyori name? Will he get Fujishima do you think? This would allow Takanohana to let Aki take the other name (which escapes me just at the moment)

The general theory is that he will be Otowayama. It should become clear rather quickly though.

Aki's situation is rather out of hand right now, but I assume he will eventually become Sendagawa and work in some other stable than Takanohana-beya.

Edited by Yubiquitoyama, 11 May 2004 - 20:29.

Start a support group for pessimists? Nah, that would never work...

#14 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,678 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 20:43

The general theory is that he will be Otowayama. It should become clear rather quickly though.

It is officially decided that he will take the name of Otowayama and be an affiliated Oyakata at Takanohana-beya.

Japanese article:

http://www.nikkanspo...40511-0026.html

I am retroactive.
Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#15 Yubiquitoyama

Yubiquitoyama

Yubish

• Archived Members
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 21:04

Aki and Nami might make for a promising Oyakata duo if they could get a stable of their own, although with the way Takanohana has been acting, that would probably only happen as a result of a violent split from Futagoyama. (In so far as something like that would actually be possible in Ozumo...) Is there precedence for oyakata establishing their own heya over the objections of their former shisho?

I think it has happened quite a few times, but one I could immediately find something about was the establishment of the current Oshiogawa-beya, although the circumstances were somewhat different compared to Akinoshima/Takanohana. Those who actually followed sumo at that time might now more, but here is what I could find in an article written by Clyde Newton (although somewhat reformulated):

In 1974 Daikirin was on the verge of retirement and was further urged by Nishonoseki oyakata who was dying of leukemia and saw Daikirin as a possible successor. Daikirin finally retired in November of 1974, assuming the name Oshiogawa, and only a few months afterwards, the old oyakata died on March 28 1975. Soon thereafter Daikirin's main rival to succeed as stablemaster, Taiho, withdrew from contention.

The widow of the ex-oyakata though asked too much money for the toshiyori and stable buildings for Daikirin to afford, and instead a temporary oyakata, ex-Tokachiiwa, stepped in, and was the one to cut Daikirin's top knot in his May 1975 danpatsu-shiki.

In August 1975, Daikirin's junior stablemate Kongo announced his engagement to the late Nishonoseki's daughter, making it obvious that he would eventually take over the stable. Oshiogawa (Daikirin) then retaliated by unilaterally withdrawing from the stable on September 4, taking with him new Komusubi Aobajo, Maegashira Tenryu and fourteen other deshi.

Nishonoseki threatened to expel Oshiogawa and the sixteen rikishi from the heya and hence from Ozumo, but mediation efforts of Hanakago oyakata brought about a temporary solution, whereby Daikirin's men returned to Nishonoseki-beya until the end of the September tournament. A final compromise was enacted on October 6, 1975, whereby Daikirin was permitted to open Oshiogawa-beya, but with only 6 rikishi (excluding Maegashira Tenryu who stayed with Nishonoseki-beya).

It has happened before and something like it could happen again... It would be interesting with a new heya including Takanonami and Akinoshima as oyakatas (Laughing...)

Edited by Yubiquitoyama, 11 May 2004 - 21:06.

#16 Sasanishiki

Sasanishiki

Yokozuna

• Moderators
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 23:11

Flying blind here, but isn't one of the heya outside of the usual ichimon. Wouldn't that be some case of not having approval of shisho?

Please enlighten me knowledgeable ones

#17 Yubiquitoyama

Yubiquitoyama

Yubish

• Archived Members
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 23:23

Flying blind here, but isn't one of the heya outside of the usual ichimon. Wouldn't that be some case of not having approval of shisho?

Please enlighten me knowledgeable ones

I don't know too much about it, but it had to do with the riji elections (board of directors), where Maenoyama (Takadagawa-oyakata) disputed the choice of candidate for Takasago-ichimon and became an independent candidate (who also managed to get elected). This resulted in him being kicked out of the ichimon , and that's where it stands today, although Takadagawa is no longer part of the rijikai.

#18 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,280 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 23:35

I think it has happened quite a few times, but one I could immediately find something about was the establishment of the current Oshiogawa-beya [snip]

Thank you very much! (Blinking...)

#19 hoshidango

hoshidango

Maegashira

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 07:43

Some information on official reason for his quitting added at the top. FYI

#20 Kashunowaka

Kashunowaka

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 11:42

Don't do that! That is: do add more information, it is highly appreciated. But please don't edit whole topics and posts like that. It gets really confusing. (Blinking...) Better to add info as new posts, or make a new topic. Correcting minor errors and typos is an exception of course. :-P

#21 Taka

Taka

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 12:47

In what way was Takanohana's demeanour alarming (asked by one who hasn't seen the interview in question)?

I'm curious too.
http://300bestplayersintheworld.blogspot.com/

#22 hoshidango

hoshidango

Maegashira

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 01:47

Don't do that! That is: do add more information, it is highly appreciated. But please don't edit whole topics and posts like that. It gets really confusing. :-( Better to add info as new posts, or make a new topic. Correcting minor errors and typos is an exception of course. :-/

Sorry. OK.

#23 Yoavoshimaru

Yoavoshimaru

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 02:29

Yubiquitoyama-zeki is just a fountain of knowledge :-/ :-(

#24 Zuikakuyama

Zuikakuyama

Komusubi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:55

He just looked bored during the interview, and it didn't look as though 'nami consulted him for his decision to retire or that they were particularly close. I think he also said that 'nami was doing poor sumo and there was no point in going on.

#25 Yubiquitoyama

Yubiquitoyama

Yubish

• Archived Members
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 13 May 2004 - 13:06

Lets hope Takanohana wont drive him away like Akinshima. . .  but I dont have a good feeling watching Takanohana's demeanor at the interview.

He just looked bored during the interview, and it didn't look as though 'nami consulted him for his decision to retire or that they were particularly close. I think he also said that 'nami was doing poor sumo and there was no point in going on.

One question arising is whether Takanonami really meant Takanohana when he said he had consulted with his shisho... It would surprise me little if it was Futagoyama who did that job and Takanohana was more or less notified after the fact... :-(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users