#76 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:23

Day Ate:

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#77 ChrisC

ChrisC

Jonidan

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:31

Kotooshu looked like he was thinking about tomorrow morning's breakfast menu
In the end, only kindness matters

#78 Asojima

Asojima

Ancient Observer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:59

Hakuho was strongly favoring his left ankle during his shikiri and after the match. Trouble ahead?

My new car can travel at the speed of sound, but the horn is useless. 

Adoptee: Hitachigo (Sd1e), 29 yrs; 148.8kg/183cm, 11th year, High: Ms15w ---- Aki ( 6 - 1 ) Back to Makushita
Adoptee: Homarefuji (J2e), 29 yrs; 149.2kg/179cm, 7th year, High: M15w    ----- Aki ( 11 - 4 ) Back to Makuuchi

#79 oliver

oliver

Jonokuchi

• Regular Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:46

I probably haven't been following sumo long enough to judge the quality but today's bouts certainly seemed especially entertaining! Seemed like quite a variety of styles, even for a budding yotsu purist like myself ;). Also re: Kotooshu, is it just me or do the European wrestlers always seem to make more naive mistakes? I remember this making Baruto frustrating to watch for a while, before he tightened up his act. I might just be paying more attention to them though because they stick out. Anyway, hugely enjoying this tourney here in London thanks to Kintamayama's diligent work!

#80 Torabayama

Torabayama

Juryo

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:55

Does Kotooshu serve any purpose anymore? Quite possibly my least favorite.
虎葉山

#81 Kuroyama

Kuroyama

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:31

I probably haven't been following sumo long enough to judge the quality but today's bouts certainly seemed especially entertaining! Seemed like quite a variety of styles, even for a budding yotsu purist like myself ;). Also re: Kotooshu, is it just me or do the European wrestlers always seem to make more naive mistakes? I remember this making Baruto frustrating to watch for a while, before he tightened up his act. I might just be paying more attention to them though because they stick out. Anyway, hugely enjoying this tourney here in London thanks to Kintamayama's diligent work!

Osh doesn't really make naive mistakes; it's more that his center of gravity is too high. He has to really squat down deep to get the sort of balance a rikishi with a more traditional build will have naturally. When he doesn't bother, or when a shorter opponent can get underneath him and push him upright, he's toast. He's also mentally very weak and is easily discombobulated.

Baruto has, I think, finally figured out how to use his size and strength to his advantage.

I think foreign rikishi in general often bring in habits from the wrestling tradition in their native countries. For Mongolians this tends to be an advantage, since their native tradition shares many features with sumo. Not so much Europeans.

Edited by Kuroyama, 19 March 2012 - 01:32.

黒山

#82 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,584 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:40

Provided without comment:

#83 ChrisC

ChrisC

Jonidan

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:05

Provided without comment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2iXvRVjJmM

Someone told him to get in the dohyo and then stand in the corner

#84 Kuroyama

Kuroyama

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 970 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:44

Poor boy will never live that down.

黒山

#85 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:52

Day 9 - I can't remember a day with so many rikishi flying off the dohyo..

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#86 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:07

I get the message that the video is unavailable. I will try it again later.

That's because I always get the URL first before the file is fully uploaded. I post it as soon as I get it because there's no telling what will happen the next minute with me..

post-62-1171731969.gif

#87 Igordemorais

Igordemorais

Maegashira

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:15

Is Hakuho's ankle really injured?

#88 Bugman

Bugman

Leaf Nibbler

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 13:59

Hakuho was strongly favoring his left ankle during his shikiri and after the match. Trouble ahead?

Today hakuho also looked very careful on his feet, you were right Asojima, i did not notice myself it took your observation to alert me, that was a great win by kakuryu, and i was surprised to see kisenosato get blown away like that too, seems that Baruto is far more careful with his tachi-ai and that gives him more of an advantage to defend against early surprises, once his strength kicks in he is very hard to beat.

Thank you very much Kintamayama :)

Edited by Bugman, 19 March 2012 - 14:00.

To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain and play with it.  -  Charlie Chaplin

#89 igirisujin

igirisujin

Jonidan

• Inactive Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 14:38

As the camera pulled out, I thought I saw a near full house, which would have been amazing for day 9.
Maybe one day though. With both Baruto and especially Kakaryu looking very promising for the future (two in a row against Hakuho - fantastic!), I see sumo turning the corner in the foreseeable future...............or maybe it's just the caffeine; you decide
:-D

#90 Ruziklao

Ruziklao

Juryo

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 20:12

Aminishiki being tripped, flying... impact without any cushion on the floor looked brutally.
Kakuryu's head has turned slightly when hit by zabuton...

#91 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,977 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:18

Daytona:

post-62-1171731969.gif

#92 ChrisC

ChrisC

Jonidan

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:45

I haven't seen Hakuho dump someone mid-dohyo with a uwatenage for a while. Last year it seemed like he could throw anyone down at will once he got a hold of the mawashi

#93 igirisujin

igirisujin

Jonidan

• Inactive Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 13:34

I haven't seen Hakuho dump someone mid-dohyo with a uwatenage for a while. Last year it seemed like he could throw anyone down at will once he got a hold of the mawashi

Lacking in confidence perhaps?

As for Aran - utter shame on him. I understand when the rikishi are low on confidence and they get desparate, but even against opponents he could concievably beat and when he's doing fairly well, Aran still takes the low road.
Like Kintamayama stated, it's amazing that they keeping falling for these tricks, but I really hope Aran gets a warning soon for persistent dishonourable sumo.

And finally Kotooshu - I was starting to take a liking to him after showing strength and stability this last basho or so, but now he's falling back into that inconsistent routine again. Injury? Maybe.

#94 Terarno

Terarno

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 13:46

Lol at the comment on the Gagamaru vs Tokitenku bout ! (Laughing...)

#95 Bugman

Bugman

Leaf Nibbler

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 15:25

Whenever i see Aran or Tokitenku fight i'm always expecting something sneaky, Aran though takes the biscuit lol.

Oh well, who am i to criticise, one whack from any of those rikishi and my head would cave in like an old shed, so i'm not complaining!

I've noticed Baruto is being VERY careful at the tachi-ai, he's almost moving upward rather than forward and absorbs his opponents initial charge before his strength overwhelms, looks like a good tactic for him.

Thank you once again for this compilation kintamayama, it's something i look forward to every day :)

Edited by Bugman, 20 March 2012 - 15:50.

To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain and play with it.  -  Charlie Chaplin

#96 yorikiried by fate

yorikiried by fate

Sekiwake

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 15:45

Why Kyokutenho? He's not doing anything sneaky apart from administering his retirement funds. You must mean Tokitenku.
Give me all your money! http://www.andreaskungl.com

#97 Bugman

Bugman

Leaf Nibbler

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 15:49

Why Kyokutenho? He's not doing anything sneaky apart from administering his retirement funds. You must mean Tokitenku.

Yes! i am terribly sorry, my resident brain-cell was asleep, Tokitenku i meant :)

#98 Asojima

Asojima

Ancient Observer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,121 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 16:33

Tokitenku grew up with Mongolian Sumo which uses a lot of leg tricks. They had been one of his strong suits in Ozumo. He is better at it than most, and is comfortable using them.

My new car can travel at the speed of sound, but the horn is useless. 

Adoptee: Hitachigo (Sd1e), 29 yrs; 148.8kg/183cm, 11th year, High: Ms15w ---- Aki ( 6 - 1 ) Back to Makushita
Adoptee: Homarefuji (J2e), 29 yrs; 149.2kg/179cm, 7th year, High: M15w    ----- Aki ( 11 - 4 ) Back to Makuuchi

#99 Bugman

Bugman

Leaf Nibbler

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 19:09

Tokitenku grew up with Mongolian Sumo which uses a lot of leg tricks. They had been one of his strong suits in Ozumo. He is better at it than most, and is comfortable using them.

Well that's fair enough of course, my dislike of those kicks is just a personal opinion as an admittedly inexperienced Sumo fan.

#100 Ashikawazu

Ashikawazu

Sandanme

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 19:53

Is that what happened on day 9? A leg trick gone very wrong? (Never saw somebody throw a kick like that before....)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users