2 replies to this topic

#1 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,682 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 15:46

The Kyokai yearly financial balance was announced. The Kyokai is in its worst financial situation in ten years- 4,880,000,000 (nearly 68 million dollars) in the red. (48 oku, did I get that right??) Revenue lost from two straight non-bashos and suspension of all jungyos plus NHK TV rights lost killed them. "We are seriously in it..We now have to win back the public's support as quickly as possible and get out of this dire situation," said Kitanoumi Rijicho.

I am retroactive.
Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#2 Bugman

Bugman

Leaf Nibbler

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 19:31

Does Sumo not qualify for any government help? it could be argued that as a unique, national sport it enhances japan's cultural reach around the world, i'm pretty sure (though not certain) that bullfighting gets government backing in Spain due to it's claim to be culturally important, could Sumo not do something similar? apply for some kind of help perhaps.

What could happen to Sumo if it remains in the red? gone? surely Japan can't afford to lose such a cultural treasure?

To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain and play with it.  -  Charlie Chaplin

#3 Orion

Orion

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:12

It is precisely because sumo had special status that it came under the Ministry of Education. This resulted in all the bureaucratic meddlng that we have witnessed for the past year or two. Unfortunately you can't have one without the other.

Orion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users