98 replies to this topic

#1 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Kokakuka- Sunenikizumotsu

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,520 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:36

The second tier shin-deshi kensa for those that are at least 167/67 was held- 7 recruits came, two were found to qualify for the "usual" criteria of 1.73/75, the other five were second tier-all 7 passed the initial tests.

Edited by Kintamayama, 26 February 2012 - 21:48.

"I wouldn't play for free even if you paid me!!"
Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
Posted Image

#2 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

• Active Members
  • 18,520 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:31

One of the height-challenged new recruits is an ex-speed skater, 19 year old 茅野 Kayano.(Kajino? Does he gamble?).He left school at the second year of Junior high but dreamed of being a rikishi since he was small. After seeing Ootake Oyakata on TV attempting to recruit new deshi, he decided to join his heya."It's a cheerful heya, and I would like to gradually add to my physical strength," he said.

*no:
Posted Image

Edited by Kintamayama, 15 February 2012 - 07:31.

Posted Image

#3 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 15,980 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 12:45

Isn't middle school compulsory in Japan? How do you just refuse to attend without repercussions?

#4 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 14:39

Isn't middle school compulsory in Japan? How do you just refuse to attend without repercussions?

I don't know if it's generally compulsory, but I always thought it was for anyone entering ozumo.

#5 ryafuji

ryafuji

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 15:26

Yes, it's compulsory.

#6 Asanomeshi

Asanomeshi

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 21:01

I don't know this kid's story, but I know Japanese schools. I suspect he stopped going in his 2nd year, but was still allowed to graduate (or at least receive his paperwork) at the end of his 3 years in middle school. I have known many such kids who are in no way participating in the school system, but still "graduate" at the end of their "time" there.
-朝乃飯

#7 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

• Active Members
  • 18,520 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 00:06

College Yokozuna and Makushita tsukedashi start eligible Yamaguchi Masahiro (22, Nichidai)) will join Ozumo in Haru. At first, he thought of joining Kasugayama beya, but after being personally courted by Yokozuna Hakuhou (who went out to Nichidai to persuade him), will be joining Miyagino beya. He has 19 titles under his belt at Nichidai, and was the first one in 24 years to become Yokozuna in his first year of high school ( at Tottori Jouhoku High ) since recently deceased Kushima, Tagonoura Oyakata. He won the 2011 Kokutai tournament. Pics.

Edited by Kintamayama, 24 February 2012 - 00:11.

Posted Image

#8 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

• Active Members
  • 18,520 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 21:48

Hakuhou and Yamaguchi- "I urge you to reach Yokozuna!!"
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

• Active Members
  • 15,980 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 21:55

Well, the way collegiate rikishi have gone for the last decade I think they'd be aiming high just by expecting him to reach sekiwake...

No special shikona for now, he'll be starting his career as plain old Yamaguchi.

Edited by Asashosakari, 26 February 2012 - 21:56.

#10 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

• Active Members
  • 18,520 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 07:49

Hakuhou and Miyagino leading Yamaguchi to the altar:
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

• Active Members
  • 18,520 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:01

Newbie Yamaguchi has officially been acknowledged as a Makushita tsukedashi entry and will be ranked between Makushita 15 and 16 but must eat his chanko from left to right.
Posted Image

#12 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

• Active Members
  • 18,520 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:49

Yamaguchi had his first butsugari training session with Hakuhou yesterday. "He is soft but heavy.. I've never run into something like that (hehe) before.." he said, bewildered. As the dohyo was still "soft" at Miyagino, real training will commence today.
Posted Image

#13 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

• Active Members
  • 18,520 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 18:14

34 new recruits in all, the worst since the 1973 compulsory education system was established, breaking last year's record of 36.
Posted Image

#14 Asanomeshi

Asanomeshi

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 21:19

Well, the way collegiate rikishi have gone for the last decade I think they'd be aiming high just by expecting him to reach sekiwake...

I increasingly wonder at the efficacy of makushita tsukedashi. Exceptional wrestlers, especially ones out of university, are going to fly through the lower ranks anyway, and it can be a good experience for them. Look how much fun it was to watch Sakumayama? And he doesn't seem to be minding the extra time and all the attention. Letting a guy who was successful as an amateur start out just below a privileged rank with a hefty salary might even be called irresponsible.

Edited by Asanomeshi, 01 March 2012 - 21:21.

-朝乃飯

#15 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

• Active Members
  • 15,980 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 22:50

I increasingly wonder at the efficacy of makushita tsukedashi. Exceptional wrestlers, especially ones out of university, are going to fly through the lower ranks anyway, and it can be a good experience for them. Look how much fun it was to watch Sakumayama? And he doesn't seem to be minding the extra time and all the attention. Letting a guy who was successful as an amateur start out just below a privileged rank with a hefty salary might even be called irresponsible.

Honestly, I see all that exactly the other way around. ;-) Watching Sakumayama manhandle his early jonokuchi and jonidan opponents was at the same level of "fun" for me as watching Baruto pretend to have a see-saw tussle with five schoolkids. There's a time and place for that, but a serious competition isn't. And besides that, the only reason anybody other than lower-division fetishists paid attention to Sakumayama was the winning streak. Nobody cares about the typical 25-3 or 26-2 starts by strong collegiate rikishi, exactly because they merely confirm what everybody knew anyway, namely that the rikishi had no business being ranked in sandanme or below to begin with. It's an officially sanctioned abuse of the banzuke system, as far as I'm concerned - if you could teleport a Kyokai bigwig from 100 years ago into today, he'd think his successors are completely out of their minds. The only reason they can get away with it is that we have six basho a year nowadays; with two annual basho everybody would recognize it as nonsensical to start somebody like Sakumayama 6+ basho away from juryo.

And beyond all that, I really don't care to watch under-ranked collegiates hoover up all the yusho awards in the lower divisions in the first place. (The same goes for rikishi returning from long-term injuries, and obviously strong foreigners.) I'd much rather see those awards go to rikishi who are actually "at home" in or near the relevant banzuke area. I don't think it's a particularly character-building exercise either; that requires the college rikishi to be treated as just another random newcomer inside the heya as well, and I don't quite believe that's the case in all (or even most) stables. Just calling him a jonidan or jonokuchi rikishi during the honbasho is little more than a gesture, given that everybody knows it's only very temporary.

The old Ms60 start was a fine compromise as far as I'm concerned, but in their infinite wisdom they figured they couldn't toughen up the admission standards without throwing a large bone in the direction of the few rikishi that were still going to qualify under the new standards. So instead of screwing up the competitive standards in makushita alone collegiates now get to screw up the standards all over the banzuke. And the tsukedashi-eligibles are getting thrown into a high level they're often not prepared for - I wonder if the potential embarrassment has actually discouraged some of them from turning pro altogether lately, after watching the early qualifiers Shimoda, Kanbayashi, Nakano and Hakiai struggle. All in all, that has turned out to be quite possibly the most pointless rule change ever - and in that sense I do agree, scrapping Ms10/15Td altogether would probably be an improvement, but only because the status quo is pretty useless, not because it's a grand idea in itself.

Edited by Asashosakari, 01 March 2012 - 23:02.

#16 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

• Active Members
  • 18,520 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 06:56

Former Juryo Tsugaruumi's grandson Uno Masanobu (15) is joining Tamanoi beya. He has been doing sumo since he was three, apparently, influenced by his grandfather.He was a runner up in a tournament when he was in sixth grade. He initially planned to go to high school, but his grandfather fell ill and is hospitalized. "I wanted to join sumo as quickly as possible and make him happy," he explained. The grandfather trained current Tamanoi's father at Kasugano beya back then. "The kid has his grandfather's features. His sumo is great and it will be fun watching him grow," said ex-Tamanoi.

15 years old??
Posted Image

Edited by Kintamayama, 02 March 2012 - 07:02.

Posted Image

#17 Jaak

Jaak

Juryo

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:45

A famed example of sailing through lower divisions was Haguroyama.
Entered shinjo in 1934.05 age 19.
Result 2-1.
Ranked as lead jonokuchi aged 20. Result 5:1 like one Saganohana (who was 17), somehow got yusho.
Two consecutive zensho-yusho in jonidan and sandanme.
Makushita debut age 21. 10:1 yusho - single basho through makushita.
Juryo debut age 22. 5th straight yusho.
Maegashira debut 1937.05 first nonyusho after shinjo - but still kachikoshi.

Career first makekoshi on his second ozeki basho, age 25 (7:5:3).

Precisely whose business was it to spot Haguroyama and put him in makushita tsukedashi, not in shinjo?

#18 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

• Active Members
  • 15,980 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:37

Former Juryo Tsugaruumi's grandson Uno Masanobu (15) is joining Tamanoi beya. He has been doing sumo since he was three, apparently, influenced by his grandfather.He was a runner up in a tournament when he was in sixth grade.

The tournament, to be precise - the 2008 National Wampaku.

The grandfather trained current Tamanoi's father at Kasugano beya back then.

Possibly needed bit of explanation: Tsugaruumi stayed in the Kyokai as wakaimonogashira following his active career.

#19 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 15:49

Former Juryo Tsugaruumi's grandson Uno Masanobu (15) is joining Tamanoi beya. He has been doing sumo since he was three, apparently, influenced by his grandfather.He was a runner up in a tournament when he was in sixth grade.

The tournament, to be precise - the 2008 National Wampaku.

And here he is with his trophy:
Posted Image

That's from the excellent My Sumo Corner blog, which adds that grandson wants to surpass his grandfather's achievements and reach Makuuchi. As for shikona, he may take on the name Tsugaruumi too.

#20 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 21:28

I've been waiting to see if this young man would still enter - 15-year-old Kiyosato Hokuto was Tagonoura-oyakata's last recruit. I didn't actually learn of him until after the oyakata passed away, at which point I feared Kiyosato would be left in limbo - signed up to join Tagonoura but not officially a part of the sumo world yet, and thus unable to transfer somewhere with the rest of the rikishi. However, the My Sumo Corner blog is now showing him on a partial list of shindeshi so he must have participated in the examinations recently - although it isn't clear yet which heya he has actually ended up in. In any case, I'm really happy to see he's stuck with it!

Edited by Yubinhaad, 06 March 2012 - 01:01.

#21 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

• Active Members
  • 15,980 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 22:11

However, the My Sumo Corner blog is now showing him on a partial list of shindeshi so he must have participated in the examinations recently

I don't think that list has any official basis at all (certainly not the shindeshi kensa itself), for what it's worth, it's just the author's tabulation of what he's unearthed in sources. The January table showed a deshi who was never part of the examinations.

#22 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 22:51

I don't think that list has any official basis at all (certainly not the shindeshi kensa itself), for what it's worth, it's just the author's tabulation of what he's unearthed in sources. The January table showed a deshi who was never part of the examinations.

Ah, right. I did do a fair bit of searching myself over the last ten days or so to see if I could find out what happened to him, but the entry at the blog was the first thing I've seen since the original articles before Tagonoura died. I just figured that, as it's only a partial list, the writer wouldn't bother to put that together unless they had some kind of authentication from somewhere. But thanks for the heads-up.

And fingers crossed that Kiyosato does enter, after all!

#23 Asanomeshi

Asanomeshi

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 01:53

the same level of "fun" for me as watching Baruto pretend to have a see-saw tussle with five schoolkids.

Oh my, watching such antics as you are referring to is one of my favorite things to watch in sumo, but I ain't as sophisticated as some viewers I have no doubt. At least I know those kids are very likely NOT getting a payout. ;-)
-朝乃飯

#24 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

• Active Members
  • 18,520 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:43

Kotoshougiku has recruited a new guy. He met him five years ago at a jungyo and seeing he had the right build, asked him if he would like to try sumo. He did, and five years later he is joining Sadogatake. Age: 18. Name: 工藤良平 (Keiichi Yoshihiro??). 177/105. "I would like to become a sekitori," he said.

Edited by Kintamayama, 03 March 2012 - 09:44.

Posted Image

#25 Doitsuyama

Doitsuyama

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:25

工藤良平 (Keiichi Yoshihiro??)

Surname looks like Kudo to me (without a dictionary though).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users