27 replies to this topic

#1 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 09:23

46 year old Tagonoura Oyakata (ex-Kushimaumi) was rushed to the hospital after vomiting blood and collapsing at the heya today. He is diagnosed with cardiopulmonary arrest and unconscious at the moment.

Edited by Kintamayama, 13 February 2012 - 13:06.

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#2 Toonoryu

Toonoryu

Makushita

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 10:45

I read in a sponichi article (with babelfish translation) that he's unfortunately dead, is it correct ?

#3 Fay

Fay

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 11:31

I read in a sponichi article (with babelfish translation) that he's unfortunately dead, is it correct ?

Yes it seems so, I just read it on FB from a rikish. How sad!

Visit my sumo website:

Sumo-Webpaper

#4 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 13:33

Yes, it's official - Sakaigawa: "I saw him in the morgue..He seemed healthy.." He held 28 titles before turning pro, including college Yokozuna for three consecutive years and was a great hope but in the end, never made it to Sanyaku, his highest rank being Maegashira 1. He founded Tagonoura-beya back in 2000, but met with some hardships- a heart attack in 2003, a sandanme 17 year old deshi died of natural causes in 2004 and a yobidashi died in 2008. But in 2009 the atmosphere changed with the arrival of Bulgarian Aoiyama, who made it to sekitori in two years.
After his heart attack in 2003, he went on a diet and lost around 60 kilos. He was also famous for his singing and cooking.
When he retired this is what he said: "I've been doing sumo since I was a little boy so my body is riddled with injuries.Somewhere along the line, I became tired of sumo.." Still, after becoming an oyakata he did his best bringing up rikishi and spreading the word of sumo.
Lately, he was the vice-chairman of the toshiyori-kai which was bitterly embattled on the issue of the proposed new toshiyori myoseki system, and some oyakata are saying maybe he took it to heart too much.
"Unbelievable" is the gist of what everyone is saying.
Kasugano: "I knew him since we were in Junior high.He was like a younger brother to me, so the shock is immense.. I don't know all the details, but I knew he had heart problems.."
Ex-Mainoumi, his junior: "I was his tsukebito in college and at Dewanoumi beya and he was a really straightforward guy who took his sumo seriously. Last summer we went drinking together. It seemed like he was finally moving forward as a shisho so it's really a pity.."

Edited by Kintamayama, 13 February 2012 - 15:00.

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#5 sashimaru

sashimaru

Juryo

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 13:34

Goodbye master of motivation

(Sad goodbyes...)
happy tachiai,
sashimaru

"Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else."

#6 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 14:54

Sad to hear this news.

Kushimaumi defeating then-Sekiwake Takahanada in 1992 Kyushu:

Posted Image

a sandanme 17 year old deshi died of natural causes in 2004

His younger brother Aoijo, now 20, just had the best basho of his career in January. He's now lost his big brother and shisho; I hope he has the strength to continue his own career.

#7 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 15:51

The Tagonoura rikishi will most probably be absorbed in Dewanoumi, say people in the know. Tagonoura belonged to Dewanoumi beya while active.

Video
More video

Edited by Kintamayama, 13 February 2012 - 15:58.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#8 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 13:13

Diagnosis after autopsy: Ischemic heart failure.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#9 ryafuji

ryafuji

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 19:46

I know he had his health problems in the past, but this is still shocking news. I remember watching Kushimaumi's second tournament in makuuchi in September 1989 on TV in which he looked very good - commentator Lyall Watson even going as far as calling him a potential yokozuna. I don't know if that was realistic but I'm very surprised he never made it to sanyaku. He certainly had the physique and great strength - perhaps it was a lack of fighting spirit or maybe his health affected him during his active career as well.

#10 ryafuji

ryafuji

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:18

The Tagonoura rikishi will most probably be absorbed in Dewanoumi, say people in the know. Tagonoura belonged to Dewanoumi beya while active.

That will probably be the only way Dewanoumi will get a sekitori any time soon...

#11 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:22

It has also been established that he did not in fact vomit blood, but his mouth bled after he collapsed and hit the floor.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#12 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 15:10

Tagonoura-oyakata's funeral was held today.

Kitanoumi-Rijicho on the right:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Yubinhaad, 19 February 2012 - 22:44.

#13 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:53

Funeral - Aoiyama,Dewanoumi Oyakata , and widow:
Posted Image

post-62-1171731969.gif

#14 Naganoyama

Naganoyama

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,555 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 11:18

Poor old Dewanoumi doesn't look too healthy

#15 Achiyama

Achiyama

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 21:48

When will the decision for the fate of Tagonoura heya be made?

#16 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 23:33

When will the decision for the fate of Tagonoura heya be made?

It was already made, AFAIK.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#17 Orion

Orion

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 03:30

He'd been bringing his deshi to Dewanoumi to train together so regularly that I got the impression he didn't have a keikoba in his own heya. Day after day the bikes were parked outside in an extra row, and if I was in the street when they were arriving or leaving, I always got a friendly greeting and a wave from them.

Orion

#18 Orion

Orion

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 09:39

<p>

Poor old Dewanoumi doesn't look too healthy

You probably wouldn't look too chipper if you were paying your last respects to someone you'd known very well for 24 years (and around 16 years your junior) who had dropped dead two days earlier. I never discussed it with anyone, but I was wondering if Tagonoura was being groomed to take over Dewanoumi-beya. Former Nichidai Dekiyama is too close in age to the present oyakata; Sakaigawa, who like Tagonoura was a Nichidai man who hived off from Dewanoumi, has built himself one of the best heya in present-day sumo and is doing very nicely, thanks; of the oyakata remaining in the heya, the next three are younger than Tagonoura was (the Ogi brothers and the ever-sunny Kim Ryusei). That leaves another Nichidai man, Inagawa, former Futen'o, who is a potential stablemaster well in the future,  but he has only just joined the ranks of oyakata.I repeat: these are just my private musings, which I am sharing for the first time. Orion, still grieving

Edited by Orion, 18 February 2012 - 09:40.

#19 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 14:57

In a surprising turn of events, the 8 rikishi will be split between two heya- Aoiyama, Makushita Aozora and Jonokuchi Aokishin will move to Kasugano beya. Makushita Kairyuu, Sandanme Hisanotora, Jonidan Aonoshou, Aomihama and Aoijou will be moving to Dewanoumi. "It took us a while to decide but in the end we listened to the rikishi's wishes as well," explained Kitanoumi Rijicho.

Edited by Kintamayama, 22 February 2012 - 15:21.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#20 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 15:04

In a surprising turn of events, the 8 rikishi will be split between two heya- Aoiyama, Makushita Aozora and Jonokuchi Aokishin will move to Kasugano beya. Makushita Kairyuu, Sandanme Hisanotora, Jonidan Aonoshou, Aomihama and Aoijou will be moving to Dewanoumi. "It took us a while to decide but in the end we listened to the rikishi's wishes as well," explained Kitanoumi Rijicho.

Would Aozora and Aokishin be Aoiyama's tsukebito, by any chance?

Has such a split move ever happened before?

Edit: First time in the post-WW2 era.

Edit 2: There'll be no "cooling-off" exemption for the Haru basho, apparently - if any of these rikishi are ranked close enough to fight each other (which applies only to the lower division ones, obviously), they will do so. Should it happen, the Inspection Committee will put down their manga and keep a close watch to make sure it's all fair and square.

Edited by Yubinhaad, 23 February 2012 - 01:55.

#21 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 12:28

The closure of Tagonoura-beya is now reflected on the Kyokai site, so I guess it's officially official as of today.

#22 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,715 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 13:28

The closure of Tagonoura-beya is now reflected on the Kyokai site, so I guess it's officially official as of today.

The late Tagonoura's removal from the detailed oyakata list was also done today, but backdated to Feb 13, so it's possible they'll do the same thing with the date the rikishi have moved.

(The naming of a new shimpan should be forthcoming before the basho, but nothing so far.)

Edited by Asashosakari, 24 February 2012 - 13:30.

#23 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 13:31

The late Tagonoura's removal from the detailed oyakata list was also done today, but backdated to Feb 13, so it's possible they'll do the same thing with the date the rikishi have moved.

Fair enough, they're sticking to the principle that you can't be in a heya without an oyakata, at least not for as long as the Tagonoura boys were.

Also, it looks like Sakaigawa will take Tagonoura's shinpan spot from the Haru basho onwards.

#24 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,715 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 13:34

Also, it looks like Sakaigawa will take Tagonoura's shinpan spot from the Haru basho onwards.

Looks like I should go back to reading the news instead of relying on the official site. :-)

Edit: Ah, posted at Nikkan within the last hour, so I'm not running as far behind as I thought.

Edited by Asashosakari, 24 February 2012 - 13:37.

#25 ryafuji

ryafuji

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:16

Regarding my earlier comment, I wonder if Aoiyama was reluctant to join Dewanoumi because of their lack of quality rikishi, He certainly won't be short of sekitori training partners at Kasugano.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users