• 1,273 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 20:23

Registration stats:
Monday1
Tuesday1
Wednesday0
Thursday63
Friday53

I see spambots are liking the new forum as well. They're only a minor nuisance, though, unless they actually manage to spam the forum.
takarafuji.pngshibuya.pnghomasho.pngonosho.pngtowanoyama.png
(In association with Takarafuji, Inc.)

#3 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 20:55

True. I just wondered if the change had caused a security problem. We're still logging in with our e-mail accounts, which was supposed to make the forum more secure against spambots wasn't it? Anyhow, as you point out it's no big deal if they don't actually do anything other than join. :-)

#4 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,955 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 21:24

True. I just wondered if the change had caused a security problem. We're still logging in with our e-mail accounts, which was supposed to make the forum more secure against spambots wasn't it? Anyhow, as you point out it's no big deal if they don't actually do anything other than join. :-)

Or maybe they are getting ready for a major denial of service attack on us all, rendering us all speechless and unfurling our collective mawashi for all to see.

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#5 Exil

Exil

il·le·git·i·mate

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 21:32

It's not a security problem. 50+ registrations a day was a common thing two or so years ago. When the new forum version came out, the spambots were optimized to work with its registration form, and the rate of spambot registrations on our forum declined. Now that we are using an up-to-date version, they are back in full force.

And, for the record, logging in with your email address makes your accounts more secure. That is a completely separate issue.

#6 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 22:26

And, for the record, logging in with your email address makes your accounts more secure. That is a completely separate issue.

Ah right, I understand. Thanks!

#7 Orion

Orion

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:02

I'll take your word for it being safe from spambots. My problem may be slightly more technical (and no, so far I don't see the new format as an improvement): Somethings are different about it on every computer I work on (five per week). I've fairly mastered the other four, but this one at home doesn't have a 'Sign on' anywhere (and, not surprisingly a 'Sign off'. So this message is, in one aspect, a test to see if I'm permanently signed on here.

Orion the beady-eyed

#8 Exil

Exil

il·le·git·i·mate

• Super Administrators
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 18:26

I'll take your word for it being safe from spambots. My problem may be slightly more technical (and no, so far I don't see the new format as an improvement): Somethings are different about it on every computer I work on (five per week). I've fairly mastered the other four, but this one at home doesn't have a 'Sign on' anywhere (and, not surprisingly a 'Sign off'. So this message is, in one aspect, a test to see if I'm permanently signed on here.

From that description it is not possible to identify the source of the problem. However, here are some general solutions to problems with IP.Board.

First of all, if an updated site fails to load properly, CTRL-F5 forces the browser to reload the page and bypass any cached files.

Browser cache can cause a variety of temporary issues that are usually resolved without intervention. Clearing your browser's cache is a quick solution. Note that this might cause problems with saved logins on other sites.

Internet Explorer 6 is an ancient browser that's broken in many ways. I'm not sure if IE6 is still supported by IP.Board 3, but in any case you should consider upgrading to IE8 or switching to Firefox, Opera or Chrome.

Internet Explorer 7 and later have a compatibility view setting. It might cause problems with the new forum version and needs to be disabled.

If you are still having issues with your login, let me know and we'll see what we can do.

#9 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 21:19

Internet Explorer 6 is an ancient browser that's broken in many ways. I'm not sure if IE6 is still supported by IP.Board 3

Regardless of official support, it still works on a fairly ancient machine at work (with IE6) where I gave the new design a whirl. The main issue is that the recent topics widget breaks the design - there's the usual space allocated for it, but the widget itself appears to the right of that area, effectively doubling the space taken up (and pushing the window width beyond the visible area and causing horizontal scrollbars, at least on that system). Closing the widget works fine, but still leaves the originally allocated space, so the main content never expands beyond its squished display.

But logging in and out certainly was possible.

#10 Asojima

Asojima

Ancient Observer

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,120 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 21:33

Internet Explorer 6 is an ancient browser that's broken in many ways. I'm not sure if IE6 is still supported by IP.Board 3, but in any case you should consider upgrading to IE8 or switching to Firefox, Opera or Chrome.

Microsoft has announced that it is terminating support for IE6 and IE7. Another good reason for upgrading or switching.

My new car can travel at the speed of sound, but the horn is useless. 

Adoptee: Hitachigo (Sd1e), 29 yrs; 148.8kg/183cm, 11th year, High: Ms15w ---- Aki ( 6 - 1 ) Back to Makushita
Adoptee: Homarefuji (J2e), 29 yrs; 149.2kg/179cm, 7th year, High: M15w    ----- Aki ( 11 - 4 ) Back to Makuuchi

#11 Exil

Exil

il·le·git·i·mate

• Super Administrators
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 22:13

The main issue is that the recent topics widget breaks the design - there's the usual space allocated for it, but the widget itself appears to the right of that area, effectively doubling the space taken up (and pushing the window width beyond the visible area and causing horizontal scrollbars, at least on that system). Closing the widget works fine, but still leaves the originally allocated space, so the main content never expands beyond its squished display.

Just to make sure, it doesn't move the sign in button off-screen, does it? I remember that being an issue once before, and it would certainly explain the odd scenario of the missing login button.

#12 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

• Active Members
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 23:09

Just to make sure, it doesn't move the sign in button off-screen, does it? I remember that being an issue once before, and it would certainly explain the odd scenario of the missing login button.

I'll check tomorrow to be sure, but AFAICR I didn't have to scroll to find the sign-in link.

Edited by Asashosakari, 15 February 2012 - 11:50.

#13 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

• Active Members
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 11:51

I'll check tomorrow to be sure, but AFAICR I didn't have to scroll to find the sign-in link.

Confirmed, the sign-in stays in place and visible.

I'm posting this through IE6 - the WYSIWYG editor options don't appear, only the text-only version. So that's another mark against implicit IE6 support in the new IP.B.

Also, editing posts seems to be broken. The inline edit window appears, but the "Save Changes", "Use Full Editor" and "Cancel" buttons all give errors.

#14 Exil

Exil

il·le·git·i·mate

• Super Administrators
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:15

Confirmed, the sign-in stays in place and visible.

I'm posting this through IE6 - the WYSIWYG editor options don't appear, only the text-only version. So that's another mark against implicit IE6 support in the new IP.B.

Also, editing posts seems to be broken. The inline edit window appears, but the "Save Changes", "Use Full Editor" and "Cancel" buttons all give errors.

OK, at least we can rule that out. Thanks for the info. I might have to do something about the IE6 situation...

#15 Exil

Exil

il·le·git·i·mate

• Super Administrators
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 03:24

Oh, and I'll just update this...

Registration stats:
Monday1