16 replies to this topic

#1 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 02:13

Following up on an earlier post in which I mentioned three survivors of a now-defunct heya, I thought I'd round up all the rikishi who qualify for this category. I only include changes which saw rikishi actually move to a different heya - mere name changes aren't included, ruling out the likes of Nakadachi/Sakaigawa or Futagoyama/Takanohana. I'll update this post with any future heya closures, assuming of course that there are survivors who move to another heya. I'll also try to keep it updated with any relevant retirements or shikona changes.

==================

Wakamatsu-beya - Merged into Takasago-beya February 2002. Three survivors:

Asanotosa
Asasekiryu
Asatenmai

==================

Oshiogawa-beya - Closed March 2005. One survivor now in Oguruma-beya:

Hienriki

==================

Hatachiyama-beya - Closed June 2006. Three survivors now in Kitanoumi-beya:

Amamidake
Daitenyu
Hatachijo

==================

Isegahama-beya - Closed February 2007. Two survivors moved to Kiriyama-beya - Closed January 2011. Same survivors now in Asahiyama-beya:

Daiisshin
Manazuru - Changed shikona from Hanasegawa, 2013 Hatsu.

==================

Araiso-beya - Closed September 2008. One survivor moved to Hanakago-beya - Closed May 2012. Same survivor now in Minezaki-beya:

Arawashi

NOTE - Other survivors only of the Hanakago > Minezaki move are listed further down, along with Arawashi.

==================

Tagonoura-beya - Closed February 2012. Eight survivors split between two heya:

Five survivors now in Dewanoumi-beya:

Aomihama
Aonosho
Hisanotora
Kairyu
Yoshimura - Changed shikona from Aoijo, 2012 Natsu.

Three survivors now in Kasugano-beya:

Aoiyama
Aokishin
Aozora

==================

Oshima-beya - Closed April 2012. Six survivors now in Tomozuna-beya:

Asahisho
Kyokuhikari
Kyokuhozan
Kyokuryuo - Retired after 2014 Hatsu.
Kyokushuho
Kyokutaisei
Kyokutenho

==================

Hanakago-beya - Closed May 2012. Six survivors now in Minezaki-beya:

Arawashi
Daiho - Changed shikona from Daitoken, 2012 Aki. Retired after 2012 Kyushu.
Hikarugenji - Changed shikona from Wakagenji, 2013 Haru.
Owaka
Shiroryu
Ugonoumi - Changed shikona from Wakadaiju, 2013 Nagoya.
Wakahikari - Retired after 2014 Haru.
Wakahizen

==================

Nakamura-beya - Closed December 2012. Four survivors now in Azumazeki-beya:

Byakko
Fujihisashi
Hishofuji
Mitozakura
Tokizakura - Retired after 2013 Natsu.

==================

Hanaregoma-beya - Closed February 2013. Six survivors now in Shibatayama-beya:

Maeta
Ryuseio
Sakigake
Shoketsu
Wakanoshima
Wakaryusei

==================

Magaki-beya - Closed March 2013. Two survivors now in Isegahama-beya:

Shunba
Terunofuji - Changed shikona from Wakamisho, 2013 Aki.
Wakaaoba - Retired after 2014 Hatsu.

==================

Mihogaseki-beya - closed October 2013. Four survivors now in Kasugano-beya:

Aran - Retired after 2013 Aki (a few days after the move went through)
Kaorufuji
Kurenishiki
Mienosato - Changed shikona from Mitani, 2014 Nagoya.
Miura - Retired after 2014 Haru.
Tochiimari - Changed shikona from Nakashima, 2014 Nagoya.

==================

Edited by Yubinhaad, 03 August 2014 - 01:48.

#2 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 14:06

Updated to include the closure of Tagonoura-beya.

#3 Orion

Orion

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 02:53

Many thanks for this!

Orion

#4 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 14:21

Updated to include the re-establishment of Kise-beya and the closure of Oshima-beya.

#5 Orion

Orion

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:11

Great work! Thanks again, for the update. The original appeared just after my own old software disappeared with a zombie Mac.
Now all I need is new software that will duplicate my list of foreign rikishi, originally carefully copied onto computer from the Kyokai's handwritten pages, starting years ago, all nicely color-coded according to country... my desperate salvage attempt (via sending messages with attachments from Kinko's to my office PC) has reduced the list to black and white, and lost the kanji. :-(

Orion

#6 Doitsuyama

Doitsuyama

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 19:09

Now all I need is new software that will duplicate my list of foreign rikishi, originally carefully copied onto computer from the Kyokai's handwritten pages, starting years ago, all nicely color-coded according to country... my desperate salvage attempt (via sending messages with attachments from Kinko's to my office PC) has reduced the list to black and white, and lost the kanji. :-(

Orion

Maybe this list is a near duplicate already? Well, if you ever can restore your old list, I'd be grateful for reports of errors or additional rikishi.

#7 Orion

Orion

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:31

Orion

Maybe this list is a near duplicate already? Well, if you ever can restore your old list, I'd be grateful for reports of errors or additional rikishi.

Little resemblance, I'm afraid. My chronological list, like the Kyokai's, goes back to #1 Hiraga of Los Angeles, who entered Kasugano in January 1934.

My last entry in the old software is #166 (not checked for page turns) Torugawa of Mongolia, who entered Minezaki in March 2006. After that it's all in pencil, and not updated since pre-earthquake.

Orion

#8 Doitsuyama

Doitsuyama

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:19

Little resemblance, I'm afraid. My chronological list, like the Kyokai's, goes back to #1 Hiraga of Los Angeles, who entered Kasugano in January 1934.

My last entry in the old software is #166 (not checked for page turns) Torugawa of Mongolia, who entered Minezaki in March 2006. After that it's all in pencil, and not updated since pre-earthquake.

Orion

Well, the list in the link can of course also be sorted by hatsu dohyo and further details for each rikishi obtained by click on the rikishi. If Torugawa is your #166 you should have seven more rikishi who could be added to the list (on the assumption that both lists have the same definition of "foreigner" - my list tries to go along with the shusshin part of the banzuke). Maybe you can somehow check the early parts of my list as here most likely are most of the additions from your list?

Oh, and I just added the details for Hiraga, so it's six missing rikishi now. :-)

#9 Mark.Buckton

Mark.Buckton

Maegashira

• Regular Members*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:17

I understand there were 4 Americans, 1 not of Japanese descent, in the 1910s and 20s before Hiraga.

Pre-1934 - when Hiraga first arrived on the banzuke had 'shusshin' (as written on the banzuke) referring to area of training/heya as opposed to area of birth.

Edited by Mark.Buckton, 27 April 2012 - 05:52.

#10 Orion

Orion

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:21

Orion

Well, the list in the link can of course also be sorted by hatsu dohyo and further details for each rikishi obtained by click on the rikishi. If Torugawa is your #166 you should have seven more rikishi who could be added to the list (on the assumption that both lists have the same definition of "foreigner" - my list tries to go along with the shusshin part of the banzuke). Maybe you can somehow check the early parts of my list as here most likely are most of the additions from your list?

Oh, and I just added the details for Hiraga, so it's six missing rikishi now. :-)

Thanks. I'll check when I can. But my list is simply the Kyokai's official list, which I transcribed from handwritten Japanese, putting katakana names into romaji, and adding my own information in English (like " nth foreigner to make sekitori") and other comments. So the rikishi on it are those classified as "foreigner" by the Kyokai in their official records. It's quite possible that their own list is now computerized; when I started transcribing it, (and indeed when I stopped, only a few years ago) the Kyokai had only a looseleaf file, handwritten. Whenever I asked, I got the relevant pages copied. My list is A4 sheets printed sideways, and ends near the bottom of page 4. Colour-coding the name of country of origin was a time-saver idea of my own.

Orion

#11 athelitextreme

athelitextreme

Makushita

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 22:01

Great work! Thanks again, for the update. The original appeared just after my own old software disappeared with a zombie Mac.

Orion

I may be able to help but I'm a slightly confused about the color-coded list you're trying to retrieve. In what format is it saved?

#12 Orion

Orion

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 10:56

Orion

I may be able to help but I'm slightly confused about the color-coded list you're trying to retrieve. In what format is it saved?

I wish I knew. One of my biggest problems is that I go back to the days before computers were coming into general use. I first taught myself (with a Japanese manual) to use a pretty primitive Japanese word processor, put a whole address list onto it, and then had to get it onto my first computer. That was a huge step, in the days when hardly anyone except proto-geeks were using computers.
(wildly OT) One of my regular jobs is with the National Diet Library, which was one of the world's first to try to get its holdings computerized (originally microfilmed!) (vastly complicated by the fact that it needed to use, not English, but the three forms of Japanese writing). Needless to say, by now it has been through several forms of migration and emulation to try and save its original work in this direction, in addition to adding new content in huge quantities (and all free). The just-retired Librarian, Dr. Nagaoka, had been one of Japan's first IT professors, and under his guidance we have moved into a new era. [Return to Sumo Forum] So, while I am working behind the scenes to help publish the work of some of Japan's top IT experts, a lot of my own early work has fallen by the wayside. For the moment, I have simply a printout, in colour, of my input of nearly all the Kyokai's official handwritten list of rikishi they identified as foreigners. Plus a barebones saved version without the fancy touches. My only source was a Xerox copy of the whole document, which I still have. There are some interesting arguments to be made about prior contenders, but that was outside my scope.

How lucky the younger members are, who have only been into computers (and in some cases, sumo) for the last ten years or so.... and these days it's not just the technical side; every time I Iook around the oyakata, it seems half of them have changed their names. This morning when I visited the Kokugikan during the annual Ryogoku Nijiwai Matsuri, at the sumo desk I was greeted as an old friend by three oyakata on duty -- but the most recent, the former Kitazakura, did a double-take and muttered, "But weren't you in charge of the big Japan- British Society group last month?" -- he'd quite forgotten my informal coverage of his beautiful beadwork. And one of the other two nudged him and said confidently "She's been around for ever" (which is true, to a man who started as a 15-year-old) and the other said, "She does NHK English -- and was a supporter of the Master when he was active" -- the latter being my main 'in'.

Orion the diverse

#13 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:58

Updated to include the closure of Hanakago-beya.

#14 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 17:23

Updated to include the closure of Nakamura-beya.

#15 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 15:34

Updated to include the closure of Hanaregoma-beya.

Sadly there were no surviving rikishi from the earlier closure of Nishonoseki-beya.

#16 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 14:20

Updated to include the closure of Magaki-beya.

#17 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 03 October 2013 - 16:58

Updated with the closure of Mihogaseki-beya.

Also removed the Tatsutagawa-beya entry from the original post, but I'll quote it here for posterity.

Tatsutagawa-beya - Closed September 2000. No survivors remaining.

Ryuho - Retired after 2012 Natsu.
Yamaryu - Retired after 2012 Aki.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users