18 replies to this topic

#1 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Kokakuka- Sunenikizumotsu

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,520 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 07:10

Takanohana is now the man in charge of the Osaka basho. He has great plans for bringing in the masses. Last year, the basho was called off because of "bad weather". The Osaka bashos before that were not seeing full houses either. He intends to change that. First plan-get the women, especially housewives, into the stadium. Second plan- Get people to come in traditional garb- women in Kimonos etc.. to lend sumo- watching a "respectable aura". He even hinted today he would like to greet the kimono-clad women in a crisp suit personally. He did a trial run in January at this heya with the help of the Okamisan - he invited women to come and watch some keiko, and had some 65 of them over. A splendid time was had by all, by his words.
He is already in Osaka and has started working on his plans with vigor and aplomb. Taka is hinting that traditionally -dressed spectators may get cheaper tickets, but that is just a plan so far so Viki and Verena can still leave their kimono in the closet..

Crisp suit and a dash of "Twilight Zone" -Takanohana:
Posted Image

Edited by Kintamayama, 06 March 2012 - 18:00.

"I wouldn't play for free even if you paid me!!"
Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
Posted Image

#2 Takanorappa

Takanorappa

Tried a Calpis lately?

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 14:28

Well, with a bit of makeup and a wig, I think I could pull it off, though I always have trouble tying the obi. (I am not worthy...)
I'd do just about anything to meet Taka. ;-)
a Calpis fan am I. of Calpis I am fond. Of Calpis I oft think of. it helps me push when I chug.
an SFM fan am I, too. it's hard to chug, though...

Posted Image

#3 Asanomeshi

Asanomeshi

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 21:57

Well Takanohana, starting at 10 and ending at 8 pm so people who work could actually catch a little sumo after they get off work would be a good start to get more spectators. If NHK didn't like it, sumo at that time could be cable only. Well, I can dream can't I?
-朝乃飯

#4 igirisujin

igirisujin

Jonidan

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 22:14

Well Takanohana, starting at 10 and ending at 8 pm so people who work could actually catch a little sumo after they get off work would be a good start to get more spectators. If NHK didn't like it, sumo at that time could be cable only. Well, I can dream can't I?

Hi there. Though I haven't posted in some time, I have been lurking on these boards, keeping up with the latest skinny.
On this issue of coverage starting times, is there anything (aside from tradition) that will keep sumo from moving to another network if NHK doesn't give them their time slot?
It just seems to me, now that sumo is starting from scratch after a horrible year, and especially after a genuine interest in a new yokozuna (with a guy who has now learned to throw his weight around), it would be the best time to capitalise on this fresh start by doing things like changing coverage times, amongst other things.

Any thoughts?

Ta

#5 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 15,980 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 23:01

Hi there. Though I haven't posted in some time, I have been lurking on these boards, keeping up with the latest skinny.
On this issue of coverage starting times, is there anything (aside from tradition) that will keep sumo from moving to another network if NHK doesn't give them their time slot?

The 3 billion yen NHK is paying the Kyokai for the broadcast rights annually, perhaps...

#6 Orion

Orion

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 03:25

The 3 billion yen NHK is paying the Kyokai for the broadcast rights annually, perhaps...

Not to mention the fact that all the other networks are commercial, and have to find sponsors for every program.

#7 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

• Active Members
  • 18,520 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:53

"Great idea! When I was younger, whenever girls showed up at the venue or at training, it made me gambarize more.. That's what being a man does to you.." observed Toyonoshima today at the physical checkup, regarding Takanohana's plans for female fans. "Sounds like fun, no? If they show up in bathing suits though, we wouldn't be able to concentrate on sumo.." added Tochinoshin.
Haru tickets go on sale tomorrow.

Toyonoshima drawing blood:
Posted Image

Edited by Kintamayama, 04 February 2012 - 08:54.

Posted Image

#8 igirisujin

igirisujin

Jonidan

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:00

Not to mention the fact that all the other networks are commercial, and have to find sponsors for every program.

Ah, of course; money (duh!). And how silly of me to forget about the deal with NHK, which is very similar to our own BBC.
Does anyone know if the kyokai has enquired about a time change? Any reason why NHK would not be willing to play ball?

#9 ilovesumo

ilovesumo

才走る?нет!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 16:04

Let people sit in the first floor until Juryou, will help a lot. Come in traditional clothes...Always thought that foreigners look strange in it, but if he wants that, I'll go for it.
And I wish I had a closet...

Edited by ilovesumo, 04 February 2012 - 16:21.

"Live your Dreams, don't dream your life" (John Gallery)

#10 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 15:06

Takanohana at work promoting the Haru basho:
Posted Image

Holding a Haru basho poster with the Mayor of Osaka (I think):
Posted Image

More posters, NOT with the Mayor of Osaka:
Posted Image

Yet more posters; that's Fujigane-oyakata (Daizen) on the right:
Posted Image

Edited by Yubinhaad, 19 February 2012 - 22:41.

#11 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

• Active Members
  • 18,520 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 23:23

Takanohana went on a local Osaka TV comedy show where he went all out doing PR for the Haru basho and getting a right hazing in the process. His general genital area was "pinged" by comedienne Tamayo Shimada and he even literally fell off his feet when comedian Medaka Ikeno gave him a present and demanded Taka pay him 300 yen for it.. "It's not good for a Sekitori to fall but it's for a good cause so I'm happy.." said Takanohana later. "I actually practiced my fall in advance as my wife was a bit worried about it," he added in the dressing room even later. The show will be broadcast on March 10th at noon on Kansai Local.

Takanohana being "pinged"- "He is tall and has long legs so it was easy to 'ping' him," said Tamayo.
Posted Image

Rare picture of Takanohana frolicking:
Posted Image

Edited by Kintamayama, 25 February 2012 - 23:38.

Posted Image

#12 Fay

Fay

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,886 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 16:52

Takanohana Oyakata is really doing everything to get all sumo fans to Osaka. Though they know I never go to Haru Basho Keiko san asked me if I couldn't come and support her husband by visiting. Don't know if they also would hand out a kimono to me ;-)

Visit my sumo website:

Sumo-Webpaper

#13 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 15,980 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 00:59

Osaka also has plans for Takanohana, or more specifically the city's mayor does, as he made an official visit back on February 9 to inform the Kyokai that the long-standing "Osaka Mayor's Award" for the makuuchi yusho winner (presented since 1948 when tournaments were re-established in Osaka) will no longer be offered by the city.

For a change it's not due to anything the Kyokai have done wrong; Mayor Hashimoto is a proponent of a plan to merge Osaka the city and Osaka the prefecture into a Tokyo-like "metropolitan area" administrative entity ("Osaka-to" 大阪都), and as such he believes that "the (only) face of Osaka is the governour of the prefecture". From the gentler days when Kyokai scandals and "scandals" actually weren't life-threatening long-time fans may recall that there's also an Osaka Governour's Award, which made headlines back then when the female then-governour was not allowed to step onto the dohyo to present it. That award will continue to be handed out as the sole recognition of the yusho winner by the Osaka government(s) now.

#14 Kotoviki

Kotoviki

琴美輝

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,162 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 17:23

All the women who will wear kimono already bought their tickets at full price... and as for me and Meike we've already bought our tickets at full price as well...
I'll be curious to see how crowded it is when I'm there!!!

#15 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 17:29

Takanohana's campaign to attract spectators to the Haru basho continues apace. Today he was stationed outside a stadium in Osaka where an Asian Champions League soccer match was to be held, dishing out chanko. 500 meals were given out in 40 minutes, with one satisfied customer saying she would like to try it at home (the chanko, I think, not Takanohana).

Posted Image Posted Image

Hug from Gamba Boy, mascot of Gamba Osaka soccer team:
Posted Image

Edited by Yubinhaad, 07 March 2012 - 01:39.

#16 Kimyouzan

Kimyouzan

Makushita

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 15:19

I support his efforts completely, but I think more has to be done. Changing the broadcast time would be a great start.

Also, wouldn't asking people to come in formal clothing off put the regular joes that might be filling the stands normally?

#17 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

• Active Members
  • 18,520 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 13:50

Takanohana promised us a full house for all 15 days, but it was not to be. Only 4500 fans came to watch today. "It's my responsibility.. It is the responsibility of the senior manager in charge of Osaka.." he admitted meekly.
Posted Image

#18 Yamasanzan

Yamasanzan

Jonidan

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 15:19

I'm doing my best to help soon. Flying to Osaka tomorrow :-)
Anyone know how early I have to get in line to get a ticket on day 15?

#19 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

• Active Members
  • 18,520 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:12

Ar-tickle
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic