49 replies to this topic

#1 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 05:59

Bob Reimer (Kofuji) has passed away. We all know how huge a place he held in the Sumo fan community and what the size of his daily contributions were.
He will be missed in a gigantic way.

Edited by Kintamayama, 26 January 2012 - 06:00.

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#2 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:04

I received this from Jack Barnes (Akisunni) who was a close friend of Bob's and who told me the sad news:

[8:03:50 AM] Jack H Barnes: On behalf of the family and friends of Bob,
It is my sad responsibility to report that Kofuji has left the dohyo for the last time today. He was a true champion at heart and our lives have been blessed with his presence.
The Kofuji Hall Of Fame for Bench Sumo is officially open as today. It has a membership of one for now, in time a council of players will choose additional members.

Edited by Kintamayama, 26 January 2012 - 06:05.

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#3 Fay

Fay

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 06:11

How sad.

Rest in peace Bob and all good wishes and strength to his family.

Visit my sumo website:

Sumo-Webpaper

#4 Nekonishiki Banji

Nekonishiki Banji

Konishiki forever!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:37

We miss you, Bob. Rest in peace.
猫錦万慈 匈牙利親方

#5 Doitsuyama

Doitsuyama

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 7,607 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:06

That is very sad to hear. Bob was a mainstay and stalwart of the sumo games for many years. We will miss him very much.

#6 Jakusotsu

Jakusotsu

North Pole Ichimon

• Moderators
  • 6,467 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:03

I'm still at a loss for words. Bob prepared us for this mournful moment in the best possible way, but still... (Shaking head...)
"I don't believe anyone has the right not to be offended by something." - ryafuji

#7 Profomisakari

Profomisakari

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:10

It's not possible to find the right words.

Thank you Bob for all!
Goodbye forever!

Profomisakari

#8 Kotoviki

Kotoviki

琴美輝

• Active Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:44

I too am at a loss for words!
Yes, he prepared us for this worst possible moment but it is still a shock!!

Bob and I had yet to meet in person as his two planned trips to get together were postponed!
One of the biggest regrets in my life will be the empty spot that I had never had a chance to meet Bob in person and give him a big hug!

Rest in Peace Bob! You will always be with me in my heart! You were good friend!! I appreciate all the advice you gave me!! I miss you!

#9 yorikiried by fate

yorikiried by fate

Ozeki

• Active Members
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:38

I will try to keep my word and not forget him.
Give me all your money! http://www.andreaskungl.com

#10 sekihiryu

sekihiryu

Mongolian Javelin Thrower

• Active Members
  • 2,079 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:43

When the time comes, a memorial gift to the International Cancer Advocacy Network would be most appropriate if you care to do so.

Bob's final wish.

Jyoubutsu, Bob Reimer.
Private Pyle, if there is one thing in this world that I hate, it is a loose mawashi! You know that don't you?
Full Metal Jacket

#11 ilovesumo

ilovesumo

才走る?нет!

• Active Members
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 11:51

Rest in Peace Robert. You had been a wonderful person. I believe we all meet again in that wonderful place.
"Live your Dreams, don't dream your life" (John Gallery)

#12 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 19,099 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:05

Bob and I when he came to visit in 2008:

Attached Thumbnails

• reimersm.jpg

Edited by Kintamayama, 26 January 2012 - 12:07.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#13 Sherlockiama

Sherlockiama

Mae-zumo

• Inactive Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:51

I too am at a loss for words.

Rest in Peace Bob.

#14 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:59

We knew this was coming, but still it's like a punch to the gut. Only the good die young.

Sincere condolences to Bob's family and friends.

See you, Kofuji - warm regards, as you always had for us.

#15 Zenjimoto

Zenjimoto

Hinata-Beya (Florida, USA)

• Active Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 13:15

Posted Image

#16 Fukurou

Fukurou

Ozeki

• Active Members
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 13:29

RIP Bob

When the time comes, a memorial gift to the International Cancer Advocacy Network would be most appropriate if you care to do so.

Bob's final wish.

Jyoubutsu, Bob Reimer.

Making a memorial gift to the International Cancer Advocacy Network online was very easy to do, and took less than 5 minutes.

Edited by Fukurou, 26 January 2012 - 13:38.

oldowl.jpg
Fukurou

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."
-- Douglas Adams

#17 Vikanohara

Vikanohara

Rattlehead

• Active Members
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 14:26

From the thread we could read recently, we all knew this day was coming, but still it came way sooner than expected. (Chucking salt...)
And even while it was expected, it's still sad sad news. (Shaking head...)
I hope Bob has gone to a better place with infinite access to all his passions during his mortal life.

#18 me2

me2

Mae-zumo

• Inactive Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 14:55

Bob's passing is such sad news. My heart goes out to Bob's wife, Barb, who was so
wonderful throughout, and Bob's family.

In Bob's memory and honor, I want to let everyone know that ICAN is in initial
discussions with powers that be in the UAE to establish a Robert W. Reimer Biomarker
Research Facility. I believe that ICAN will establish a Robert W. Reimer Melanoma
program that will enable others with melanoma to obtain up to date research and treatment
options.

While many will speak here about Bob as a friend, I guess that I can now relate how
amazing he was in his battle against melanoma. Bob, together with his wife Barb, formed
the quintessential, proactive patient team. Bob and Barb worked closely with ICAN (the
International Cancer Advocacy Network, where for purposes of disclosure I serve as
pro-bono biomarkers council chairman).

Along with Marcia Horn, CEO and president of ICAN, Bob and Barb made sure that they left
no stone unturned. Bob continuously learned as much as possible about the molecular
biology of melanoma and his different treatment options. As a relentless team, we
searched worldwide for physicians and providers who could provide Bob with optimal,
personalized care. As a result, Bob helped ICAN to put together international treatment
networks that will help many others. Bob approached this with an intelligence and drive
that endeared him to everyone at ICAN, just as he was endeared to the sumo community.

Melanoma is a tough competitor, and Bob and Barb faced it bravely. Only recently,
certain drugs targeted against specific genes, have become available to melanoma patients
that have specific mutations in their tumors. Bob was fortunate to attain access to one
that extended his life over the New Year, long enough for him to enjoy visits from his
family and to read the many wishes that so many of you posted on the sumo forum. Bob, in
one of his last emails to me, wrote privately that this outpouring of love and best
wishes brought him to tears, and I'm sure provided him much comfort after he decided
himself that he had battled long enough.

I'd like to remember Bob as the warm, kind, thoughtful, knowledgeable person he was
throughout these difficult times, and with the smile, warmth, and laughter he and Barb
brought to Barbara Ann and me when we met here in New York.

The heavens have gained a new Master of Dragonflies, which will glow for eternity.

Scott Kahn

#19 Wamahada

Wamahada

Juryo

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 15:13

... (Shaking head...) ... (Chucking salt...)

#20 Jakusotsu

Jakusotsu

North Pole Ichimon

• Moderators
  • 6,467 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 15:36

Found this post of Bob's again here:

Since I'm not in a place that has access to sumo news and don't know Japanese, all I can do is follow the forum. I like this forum for its civility and low signal to noise ratio.

I have been taking the opportunity to visit fellow Bench Sumo participants and SumoForum members over the past months. In April, I had the opportunity of going to Frankfurt and had an excellent dinner and beers with Jakusotsu and Hana-ichi.
Posted Image
Last Monday, I met with new SFI deshi, Harinezumi, for wing night at a favourite watering hole in Waterloo, Ontario. Hopefully there are no pictures of his "encouragement" caning ...
Posted Image
And yesterday, Kaiopectate, the Killer Sock Monkey, made the long drive across the north end of Vermont in a futile attempt to recruit me to Massashigawa beya. It is clear from the photo below that Kaiopectate belongs in the Hairy Ichimon ...
Posted Image

"I don't believe anyone has the right not to be offended by something." - ryafuji

#21 Fukurou

Fukurou

Ozeki

• Active Members
  • 2,224 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 17:01

RIP Bob

Bob's final wish.

Jyoubutsu, Bob Reimer.

Making a memorial gift to the International Cancer Advocacy Network online was very easy to do, and took less than 5 minutes.

I received an email from Marcia Horn, CEO of ICAN, in response to my memorial donation for Bob Reimer. She's asked me to send the following message on her behalf:

The International Cancer Advocacy Network (ICAN), the cancer patient advocacy 501(3) organization that assisted Bob throughout his battle that ICAN clinicians, scientists and board will be doing everything possible to establish a Robert W. Reimer Biomarkers Research Center at ICAN. If you would like to be part of this effort and make a donation in honor and in memory of Bob and his valiant fight against melanoma, please donate online at

www.askican.org/donate

or mail a check payable to ICAN and send to

27 West Morten Avenue
Phoenix, AZ 85021-7246 USA

Information at 602-618-0183 or ReimerCenter@askican.org

oldowl.jpg
Fukurou

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."
-- Douglas Adams

#22 Jonosuke

Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 17:11

I always cherish the memory of the time so long ago when we shared some sushi and beer and lots of sumo talk.

< Heart Technique Physique >
More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours that keep us so tightly bound
You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies

#23 Takanokaze

Takanokaze

Mae-zumo

• Regular Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 17:53

Thank you Bob for all!Goodbye forever! (Yusho winner...)

#24 Maguroyama

Maguroyama

Juryo

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 18:31

All too expected, all too sad...

Bob was a fighter with a strength worthy a yokozuna. May he remain in brightest memory.

#25 Bugman

Bugman

Leaf Nibbler

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 19:04

I didn't know Kofuji but i followed his health thread, and i took note of his bravery and the great respect here for him, i'm very sad, he only posted here a little time ago.

My best wishes to Bob's family, i am sorry i did not get the opportunity to converse more with him on this forum.

To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain and play with it.  -  Charlie Chaplin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users