59 replies to this topic

#51 Washuyama

Washuyama

Sekiwake

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 13:31

As I recall it was Kongo (now, and long since, Nishonoseki oyakata) who broke the mould. He was regarded as a real blabbermouth -- as opposed to virtually everybody else.
Orion

His yusho basho was the very first time I ever saw sumo. I even remember reading the Sumo World article in the next (Aki '75) issue (Penned by you, possibly?? I don't have my collection handy to look it up...) which mentioned his boasting.

#52 Orion

Orion

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 23:48

His [Kongo's] yusho basho was the very first time I ever saw sumo. I even remember reading the Sumo World article in the next (Aki '75) issue (Penned by you, possibly?? I don't have my collection handy to look it up...) which mentioned his boasting.

No, I contributed to SW 1987-99.SW had just started publication when I arrived in 1973. My first visit to the old Kuramae Kokugikan was in January 1974. I went with SW in hand --and although there was a lot of interesting information in it, I almost immediately started finding, here and there, mistakes of fact. The historical articles and many of the background pieces were fine, but even things like how to buy tickets were clearly out of date or plain wrong. I sent polite letters pointing out mistakes, but there was never any reaction, correction or reply. I continued to buy it (I still have the entire set, up to the time a number of us walked out) and eventually met Andy Adams in person and agreed to write background pieces and, subsequently, the Then & Now column.

Orion

#53 Pandaazuma

Pandaazuma

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 00:41

His [Kongo's] yusho basho was the very first time I ever saw sumo. I even remember reading the Sumo World article in the next (Aki '75) issue (Penned by you, possibly?? I don't have my collection handy to look it up...) which mentioned his boasting.

No, I contributed to SW 1987-99.SW had just started publication when I arrived in 1973.

Life on Mars!

#54 Orion

Orion

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:12

No, I contributed to SW 1987-99.SW had just started publication when I arrived in 1973.

Life on Mars!

It seems that way -- till I recall that only this evening, at Futeno's dampatsu party, I was exchanging greetings with (then active) Washuyama, Fukunohana and Mihogaseki.

Orion (Bye, bye...)

#55 Ayagawa

Ayagawa

Makushita

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 14:38

Just look up anything involving Aran from the last couple of years. ;-)

Will Aran still get preferential treatment once Mihogaseki is no longer deputy shimpan-bucho?

With the new shimpan vice-director Matsugane instead of Mihogaseki, this might result in some preferential treatment of Shohozan (I am not worthy...)

#56 Igordemorais

Igordemorais

Maegashira

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:47

When does the banzuke come out?

#57 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:32

When does the banzuke come out?

This Monday, the 27th of February.

#58 Igordemorais

Igordemorais

Maegashira

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 18:40

hell of a birthday gift! :D

#59 Andonishiki

Andonishiki

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 21:49

2. Promote Shotenro from J5e with an 8-7. Something that hasn't happened since 1947 rendering it irrelevant.

if jiji press article 6:04am is correct, then your scenario 2 just became reality.... shotenro is in.
aminishiki made sekiwake and gagamaru and tochiozan are the osaka komusubis.

cant find the full list yet and also ask for caution, as i neither trust press nor my translation skills

GO BARUTO
暗怒錦 

#60 Andonishiki

Andonishiki

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 627 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 21:51

here's the link
http://www.jiji.com/...k=2012022700025
暗怒錦