Photo

How about Sumo Games Hall of Fame and Kofuji to be the first member?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Achiyama

Achiyama

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 18:37

I had this idea for a while after seeing how many people are dedicated to the organization and maintenance of the numerous Sumo games, but now I think is the right time to suggest my idea.
How about to be established a SUMO GAMES HALL OF FAME (similar to the Baseball , Footbal, Tennis etc.) and every year to be inducted 3 people (or more) to it by the votes of the peers.
Of course, a Committee should be formed, which to develop the rules, elligibility etc. but:

I'd like to nominate KOFUJI to be the first person inducted into the Sumo Games Hall of Fame.

I am pretty new to the Sumo games, but I was mesmerized by Kofuji's dedication to the Sumo games, not only as a player, but also as one of the co-founders, an extremely professional and an invaluable go-to-guy, when something goes wrong with the servers. And after I found out how sick he is and still he was taking care of the numerous glitches of the servers I am totally convinced that he deserves this nomination. I am pretty sure that everybody won't hesitate to vote for him to become the First Member of the Sumo Games Hall of Fame (of course if you support my idea to establish such).

I'd greatly appreciate your oppinion on this suggestion.

Best Regards,

Angel "Achiyama" Stoyanov

Edited by Achiyama, 13 January 2012 - 18:52.

#2 Shiyonofuji/Kaiopectate

Shiyonofuji/Kaiopectate

Makushita

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 19:46

I had this idea for a while after seeing how many people are dedicated to the organization and maintenance of the numerous Sumo games, but now I think is the right time to suggest my idea.
How about to be established a SUMO GAMES HALL OF FAME (similar to the Baseball , Footbal, Tennis etc.) and every year to be inducted 3 people (or more) to it by the votes of the peers.
Of course, a Committee should be formed, which to develop the rules, elligibility etc. but:

I'd like to nominate KOFUJI to be the first person inducted into the Sumo Games Hall of Fame.

I am pretty new to the Sumo games, but I was mesmerized by Kofuji's dedication to the Sumo games, not only as a player, but also as one of the co-founders, an extremely professional and an invaluable go-to-guy, when something goes wrong with the servers. And after I found out how sick he is and still he was taking care of the numerous glitches of the servers I am totally convinced that he deserves this nomination. I am pretty sure that everybody won't hesitate to vote for him to become the First Member of the Sumo Games Hall of Fame (of course if you support my idea to establish such).

Best Regards,

I wholeheartedly support this idea, and I also propose the establishment of a Kofuji Prize, to be awarded by consensus to the person who has shown to his colleagues through time the most admirable and generous character. I have had the high privilege of meeting Kofuji and his wife one day face to face when he came for a summer stay in Vermont. I would propose that the first Kofuji Prize be awarded to Kofuji.

Edited by Shiyonofuji/Kaiopectate, 13 January 2012 - 19:47.

#3 Achiyama

Achiyama

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 20:46

Best Regards,

I wholeheartedly support this idea, and I also propose the establishment of a Kofuji Prize, to be awarded by consensus to the person who has shown to his colleagues through time the most admirable and generous character. I have had the high privilege of meeting Kofuji and his wife one day face to face when he came for a summer stay in Vermont. I would propose that the first Kofuji Prize be awarded to Kofuji.

I totally agree and support your idea for a Kofuji Prize.

In my vision, if we decide to establish the Sumo Games Hall of Fame, a Committee will decide who is eligible for induction in the Hall of Fame for a definite year, then the nominees will be announced and all members of Sumoforum will be asked to vote, and the top 3 (or more) vote-getters will be inducted into the Hall of Fame for that year.

As for the Kofuji Prize, I see it (of course you might have other things in mind) everybody will have the right to nominate a person for the Kofuji Prize, and then the winner to be decided by voting or by a Committe. But I think only 1 Kofuji Prize to be awarded per year, or even it's not necessary to be awarded every year (like the Shukunsho in the real Sumo), but when there are deserving nominees.

#4 Fujisan

Fujisan

The crimson short one!

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 22:58

Sounds good to me... :-)

Better than my idea...
What you lack in experience and knowledge,you more than make up in sheer bloody mindedness)

Ivor(The driver) Moore to Paul(Fujisan)Sharp

#5 Chisaiyama

Chisaiyama

Curmudgeonus Ultimatus

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 21:30

I am hoping that this idea will get off the ground and soon be implemented. I would like to suggest however that while I believe Sumo Forum to be probably the biggest and certainly most knowledgeable of the many web forums devoted to Ozumo, it is not the only one. There are many games who belong to the French, German, Spanish and Sumo Talk forums who may or may not be members of this one but who play and enjoy the virtual games and who are doublessly aware of who Kofuji is and what he has done for on-line gaming.

So I would suggest that amongst the organizing and induction committees members should be included who do rerpresent these other forums so that nominating and voting threads could be created on those forums to give the greatest number of playes the opportunity to express their desires by nominating and voting on the inductees.

An added thought here the voting could possibly even be accomplished through the establishment, by whichever programmer will be carrying on Kofuji's work, of a voting site on the SumoGames server itself. Perhaps Doitsuyama would be able to add that as a page on his Sumo Reference Database. I'm sure gamers of all forums are intimately familiar with that masterwork so it would probably receive widest diseemination in that manner. If it wouldn't be too much trouble that is.
Chisaiyama
ちさいやま

++++++++++++++++
Wherever you go, there you are. - Buckaroo Banzai

#6 Achiyama

Achiyama

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 22:34

I am hoping that this idea will get off the ground and soon be implemented. I would like to suggest however that while I believe Sumo Forum to be probably the biggest and certainly most knowledgeable of the many web forums devoted to Ozumo, it is not the only one. There are many games who belong to the French, German, Spanish and Sumo Talk forums who may or may not be members of this one but who play and enjoy the virtual games and who are doublessly aware of who Kofuji is and what he has done for on-line gaming.

So I would suggest that amongst the organizing and induction committees members should be included who do rerpresent these other forums so that nominating and voting threads could be created on those forums to give the greatest number of playes the opportunity to express their desires by nominating and voting on the inductees.

An added thought here the voting could possibly even be accomplished through the establishment, by whichever programmer will be carrying on Kofuji's work, of a voting site on the SumoGames server itself. Perhaps Doitsuyama would be able to add that as a page on his Sumo Reference Database. I'm sure gamers of all forums are intimately familiar with that masterwork so it would probably receive widest diseemination in that manner. If it wouldn't be too much trouble that is.

I totally agree Chisaiyama,

As you see my suggestion is to establish a "Sumo Games Hall of Fame" not "SumoForum Hall of Fame", which includes all kind of games - German, French, Japanese, Hungarian etc. I didn't mean to discriminate the people who played or developed other games.

By the way, thank you Chisaiyama for your comment. I was very disappointed that only 2 sumogamers (Shiyonofuji and Fujisan) replied to my suggestion, when it was initially posted. I was suprised by the people's indifference. I hope it was because they were busy with the basho and maintaining or playing the games, and had no time to think about the idea. I'll be glad if we'll be able to discuss it now. I'd appreciate even negative comments, if somebody thinks that the idea is stupid and it's not worth to establish such Hall of Fame, just let us know your opinion.

Best Regards,
Achiyama

#7 Achiyama

Achiyama

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 23:24

Really? Nobody even cares?

I wonder what was gonna be the reaction of the Sumo games fans, if this idea was suggested by some of the veterans like Jejima, Pandaazuma, Randomitsuki, Kintamayama, Doitsuyama, Susanoo etc.

But the silence talked to me pretty loudly.

#8 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,845 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 23:33

I wonder what was gonna be the reaction of the Sumo games fans, if this idea was suggested by some of the veterans like Jejima, Pandaazuma, Randomitsuki, Kintamayama, Doitsuyama, Susanoo etc.

But the silence talked to me pretty loudly.

You forgot Asashosakari, Manekineko, Asojima and Zentoryu. Pandaazuma is relatively new (and from across the border..) and Jejima is British.

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#9 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,442 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 00:25

Have you not considered the potential implications of the fact that all the aforementioned didn't make such a suggestion?

Bob's in a Hall of Fame of One, simply by virtue of the astoundingly productive life he lived as it pertains to the interest we all share. Personally, I'd like to keep it that way. Formalizing it as an "official" HoF does nothing to improve upon that, and would quite possibly cheapen it as soon we reach the stage at which it needs to be debated who "deserves" to join that HoF. In fact, I'm feeling uncomfortably like I'm already cheapening it just by making this post.

I'm quite possibly the least-likely person to wish for an increase in overly emotional mushy thinking on this planet, but when did the time-honoured "he's going to live on in all our hearts" approach go out of style in favour of formal ceremonies to facilitate "remembering"?

(I really need to find a few kids I can tell to get off my lawn.)

Edited by Asashosakari, 10 February 2012 - 00:31.

#10 Jakusotsu

Jakusotsu

North Pole Ichimon

• Moderators
  • 6,256 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:30

First time ever that I clicked an "I like" button, for whatever it's worth...
"I don't believe anyone has the right not to be offended by something." - ryafuji

#11 Ganzohnesushi

Ganzohnesushi

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:43

First time ever that I clicked an "I like" button, for whatever it's worth...

Me too.

Ganzohnesushi

#12 Fujisan

Fujisan

The crimson short one!

• Active Members
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:39

Silence is golden Achiyama!

Nobody said they didn't like the idea,all replies where in major affirmative...

Oh and Chisaiyama is a sumo gamer aswell,or where you not including him?
What you lack in experience and knowledge,you more than make up in sheer bloody mindedness)

#13 Pandaazuma

Pandaazuma

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 15:35

For what it's worth, I agree with Asashosakari. Personally, I've never understood the need to award or recognize people in a formal way. Surely the only thing that matters is our own personal memories of what a great guy Bob was, and I am saying that after never having even emailed him, let alone met him. Would creating a Hall of Fame really make any difference to our memories of him? He's already gained an honoured place in so many people's hearts. That's enough for me. I appreciate, of course, that my view may not be shared by many people.

Hey Moti...I'm British too! Not all that many Brits around.

Edited by Pandaazuma, 10 February 2012 - 15:37.

#14 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,845 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 16:39

I didn't want to scare anyone with so much news..

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#15 Fujisan

Fujisan

The crimson short one!

• Active Members
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 21:50

I didn't want to scare anyone with so much news..

Ha but I'm the only true brit around here....

I have spent the whole of my 45 years in Britland...

Not even sunnier climes have drawn me away..

#16 ronnie

ronnie

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 22:03

Ha but I'm the only true brit around here....

I have spent the whole of my 45 years in Britland...

Not even sunnier climes have drawn me away..

Oh really?

I've never lived anywhere other than the town I was born in, and you've got at least ten years to catch up on that! (Neener, neener...)

#17 Fujisan

Fujisan

The crimson short one!

• Active Members
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 22:37

Oh really?

I've never lived anywhere other than the town I was born in, and you've got at least ten years to catch up on that! (Neener, neener...)

What about holidays?

All my holidays in Britain... In fact with the exception of the two trips to Stornoway,all of them in England..

I've only been up in a plane once and have never yet landed in one...

They threw me out half way..(Work that one out)

#18 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 22:46

To clean the windows? :-D

#19 Fujisan

Fujisan

The crimson short one!

• Active Members
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 22:50

To clean the windows? :-D

I know window cleanings a high risk job but not that high risk...

#20 Zenjimoto

Zenjimoto

Hinata-Beya (Florida, USA)

• Active Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 19:37

FWIW, I am all for a Hall of Fame. I think it would be fun, and if someone wants to take the trouble of organizing and maintaining it, then all the better! (Gyoji...)
Posted Image

#21 Flohru

Flohru

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 09:13

One further point to consider: a HoF is not primarily for those being around at the moment it is established (who all know that Kofuji really doesn't need to be honoured in any formalized way as Asashosakari pointed out), but for those coming later. Hopefully sumo gaming will see some kind of player influx in the near future and those new players should IMO in some way be informed about the person we all owe so much. Probably a HoF is indeed not the best way to do so, but at least some kind of contribution page wouldn't hurt, I think.

#22 Zenjimoto

Zenjimoto

Hinata-Beya (Florida, USA)

• Active Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 14:13

May I add that, in the spirit of "what would Kofuji do?", he would probably have thought it a very good idea (given that he played sumo games with some of the really old guard back in the days before some of you were even born!) and likely have even contributed his own expertise to the endeavor to make it a part of the sumogames.com empire.

On that note, I would like to propose another memorial entry to the Hall, namely that of Jonas Lindström (Kashunowaka), whose amazing dedication and skills in coding Sekitori-Oracle and especially Sekitori-Quadrumvirate live on in fond memory well beyond whatever tragic event took him from us (as far as I know, we STILL don't know what happened to him, right?).
Posted Image

#23 Fujisan

Fujisan

The crimson short one!

• Active Members
  • 4,967 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 18:13

On that note, I would like to propose another memorial entry to the Hall, namely that of Jonas Lindström (Kashunowaka), whose amazing dedication and skills in coding Sekitori-Oracle and especially Sekitori-Quadrumvirate live on in fond memory well beyond whatever tragic event took him from us (as far as I know, we STILL don't know what happened to him, right?).

Seconded.....

Related to that does anyone know other players are no longer with us?

I only know of one other player Sunibono who always asked me how my home football team where doing (I still have the messages in my in-box)and I was sad to hear of his passing...

Edited by Fujisan, 12 February 2012 - 18:16.

#24 Itachi

Itachi

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 19:41

Seconded.....

I only know of one other player Sunibono who always asked me how my home football team where doing (I still have the messages in my in-box)and I was sad to hear of his passing...

It sounds like maybe some kind of 'in memoriam' page would be suitable. Future members could learn about past members this way.

#25 Ganzohnesushi

Ganzohnesushi

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:49

I can only speculate, but Hungarian player Kachitakai who took care for "Kongo" and was supporting Nekonishiki in Banzuke making also has disappeared. I can remember Nekonishiki saying that Kachitakai fell sick... Doesn't look good either.

Ganzohnesushi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users