Photo

How about Sumo Games Hall of Fame and Kofuji to be the first member?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#26 Jejima

Jejima

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 07:30

Hi all,

I have been away from the sumo forum for the past few weeks.

In regards to what Bob would have wanted....

Whilst he was still with us (and soon after he sent his intai message to the sumo forum), I sent him the following email....

Dear Bob,

I don't know if you recall, but back in 2007, I sent you a long email,
which included the following....

'Another point, do we have a back-up plan for the 'run-over-by-a-bus'
scenario? I know it is a bit morbid, but should anything happen to
you, is there a plan in place to allow Bench Sumo to continue?'

To that part of my email, you replied....

'Bus:
No real plan ... Zenjimoto, Doitsuyama and Golynohana have keys to the
server as does Akisunni of course. If I convert to
ASP.NET, Doitsuyama and Golynohana have the skills to maintain the site. It
*almost* runs itself. A few things need doing for each basho and one thing
every year or two. The results grabber runs all the time. If I put some
extra smarts into the send lineups program and the autopicks program they
could run continuously.'

Well, we seem to have warning of that hypothetical bus, and whilst we
all hope and pray that it will take a wrong turning, our game will
certainly continue, thanks to your support in ensuring a smooth
hand-over to Doitsuyama.

Several players have asked for something Bench related to be named
after you, and this will be done ;-).

Gochisozan has offered to rename the current Gochisozan Oyakata Prize
in your honour.

He wrote....

"I have no idea what (if anything) is being considered for a “Kofuji Award”
as Marushiki suggests below. While I am confident that you and others will
come up with an appropriate tribute, I did want to make a modest
suggestion….

"I will be more than happy to “relinquish” the Gochisozan Oyakata Prize so
that it can be renamed in honour of Kofuji. He has done so much more for
all of BS than I have done that it seems only appropriate that he get the
recognition instead of me for all those oyakata who do the best that they
can do regardless of rank, record, or division."

I also had a think, and I recalled that you were a fan of the BLAH
cup. After a bit of detective work to get a working email address
(thanks to Jakusotsu and Marquisozan), I have contacted Manamiwaka to
see whether it would be okay to bring back this prize. This is his
reply.....

"I am very much in favor of honoring Kofuji, and if the BLAH award
would bring a smile to his face, I am totally in favor of that. I
would also join bench sumo again and pledge to provide inane, useless
comments every day. How about the "Kofuji blahblahblah cup"?"

However, there is some (natural) concern that you may not wish to have
your name connected with 'mediocrity' for the future - and you may
prefer the Oyakata Prize instead - or you may have your own idea. So,
we would like to know your thoughts on the matter.

Additionally, Pandaazuma says he would be honoured to name his new
Meta-Sumo Game after you - as this includes not just Bench Sumo, but
also a number of your other games. As it is played by the serious
sumo gamers, and is based on the sumo gamers too, then I think this
would be very appropriate too.

All the very best,

Jezz

I received no reply. He surely had more important things on his mind.... or possibly, he was not interested.

However, we do know that Bob is interested in keeping the memory of those important to us. For several years now, his Bench Sumo basho entry comment has included a 'Lest we forget', which grows a little longer from time-to-time. This is his message from the last basho....

ms10W Kofuji (kofuji@sumogames.com)
<snip>
Pre-basho Interview:
Lest we forget: Sokitumi, Sunibono, Fujisan's Grace, my Dad

So, I would say that he would be in favour of having his name remembered.

Several years ago, I raised the topic of having a 'Bench Sumo Hall of Fame' in a admin email. I thought at the time that this would be a good, fun idea.... but the Bench Sumo community were mostly against it, thinking that it could cause resentment, and was unnecessary. Bench Sumo is (of course) just one game of many sumo games, but I think that there might be similar problems if done on a larger scale.

So, overall, I would like to remember Bob in some way, but I am not sure that a Hall of Fame is the best way to do it. But, if this turned out to be the majority opinion of sumo gamers here - and in the other sumo forums (has this topic been opened in any of the others?), then I would support it.
2004 by Boltono

#27 Fujisan

Fujisan

The crimson short one!

• Active Members
  • 4,953 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 13:54

ms10W Kofuji (kofuji@sumogames.com)
<snip>
Pre-basho Interview:
Lest we forget: Sokitumi, Sunibono, Fujisan's Grace, my Dad

I never even noticed that.....

I wish I had,I would have thanked Bob for it..

More regrets...

Thank you Bob....
My best friend Wayne discussing headstones "What will we put on Pauls grave when he dies?"

Friend Dave "A dance floor."

#28 Zenjimoto

Zenjimoto

Hinata-Beya (Florida, USA)

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 16:28

This is off-topic, but Jejima's post brings up another issue that I only saw briefly touched upon, and that is the technical mastership of the sumogames.com games - I didn't see anything more detailed on this anywhere yet, but is it correct that Doitsuyama will be heading up the games now, on a different server? With the banzuke being released soon, can we please perhaps get an update on all that? Thanks very much...
Posted Image

#29 Achiyama

Achiyama

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 664 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 19:41

As I see there are different opinions about the establishment of a "Sumo Gamers Hall of Fame", so why don't we vote about it.

We can use this thread to vote "Yeh" or "Nay" for the "Sumo Gamers Hall of Fame".

Maybe Jejima or other administrators who have complete list of all sumo gamers would send an e-mail, asking for a vote.

Also, as Chisaiyama mentioned there might be people who do not participate in the Sumoforum, but play Sumo games. If somebody has a list of such people they could be invited to participate in the voting as well.

Or .............. we can forget about it.

Best Regards,

Achiyama

Edited by Achiyama, 25 February 2012 - 19:43.

#30 Jejima

Jejima

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 00:45

Maybe Jejima or other administrators who have complete list of all sumo gamers would send an e-mail, asking for a vote.

I only have the list of Bench Sumo players, but I can certainly raise the topic on the Bench Sumo mailing list.
2004 by Boltono

#31 Fujisan

Fujisan

The crimson short one!

• Active Members
  • 4,953 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:35

Sorry about this but I am one of those people who just has to know everything...

Who was Sokitumi?
My best friend Wayne discussing headstones "What will we put on Pauls grave when he dies?"

Friend Dave "A dance floor."

#32 Doitsuyama

Doitsuyama

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 7,432 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:13

This is off-topic, but Jejima's post brings up another issue that I only saw briefly touched upon, and that is the technical mastership of the sumogames.com games - I didn't see anything more detailed on this anywhere yet, but is it correct that Doitsuyama will be heading up the games now, on a different server? With the banzuke being released soon, can we please perhaps get an update on all that? Thanks very much...

The games will go on, and they stay on the same servers. The servers never were Kofuji's, they were (and still are) kindly hosted by Akisunni. Technical mastership may be a too kind description for my handling of the games but I will try my best.

#33 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 23:29

Who was Sokitumi?

Sokitumi was Larry W. Paine; he passed away in 2004.

Edited by Yubinhaad, 03 March 2012 - 17:34.

#34 Ekigozan

Ekigozan

Mae-zumo

• Regular Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 00:35

OK, I've finally created an account on here after browsing the forums ever since they began, as I just thought I would add my 2c to this discussion.

I believe that a better way to honour Kofuji would be to name major prizes in each of the games he was involved in after him, rather than to create a Hall of Fame.

This is because

1) New players (and even experienced players) could easily go along and not even realise that this Hall of Fame exists, or only occasionally hear about it. While if they receive emails every day of the basho with the "Kofuji Prize standings update" or whatever it is, then they will be constantly reminded of his name.

2) It is hard to know how a Hall of Fame will be maintained in the future. Even with the best intentions now, two extremes could easily happen - it gets forgotten about and no new members are included, or too many members are included which lessens the value of membership.

#35 Jejima

Jejima

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:52

I have had an idea, which I have shared with a couple of other Bench Sumo guys, about renaming the Bench Sumo drone (currently called Derufidurono) after Kofuji. Jakusotsu came up with the brilliant idea (IMO) of naming it Kofujinokami ('the spirit of Kofuji'). The drone is required to ensure that we have an even number of players in the game. This means, if we go with this idea, that Kofuji will continue to play Bench Sumo in spirit (and could be part of the Sumo Forum Ichimon, if they want him?). I am thinking about asking his widow, Barb, if she likes this idea.

Other games require drones too....
2004 by Boltono

#36 Jejima

Jejima

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:07

I have just received an email from Barb, part of which says....

'Kofujinokami' sounds like a wonderful idea -- I'm sure that Bob would love that (he never wanted to miss a basho!) Of course, I really must insist that he win every match!!

Kofujinokami is becoming a reality....

PS Another part from Barb's email which may be of interest....

We are still awaiting the publication of the paper on Bob's midge -- it was delayed due to one of his collaborators taking a sabbatical to the Seychelles to do some research (oh, life is hard!) That is one more thing that I have to follow up on.

Edited by Jejima, 28 February 2012 - 11:17.

2004 by Boltono

#37 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 23:09

The only suggestion I would like to make is regarding the Hoshitori. The Haru basho would have been Kofuji's 100th basho in the game - perhaps it could be the Kofuji Memorial Basho, or some such name.

#38 Nekonishiki Banji

Nekonishiki Banji

Konishiki forever!

• Active Members
  • 1,672 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:40

Related to that does anyone know other players are no longer with us?

I can only speculate, but Hungarian player Kachitakai who took care for "Kongo" and was supporting Nekonishiki in Banzuke making also has disappeared. I can remember Nekonishiki saying that Kachitakai fell sick... Doesn't look good either.

Ganzohnesushi

He supported me in all games and he made the major part of szumo.hu as well. I got the last message from him just before Kyushu 2009, he got pneumonia, in the worst times, when swine flu epidemy was raving around. I got no news from him since then. I even heard on TV that in his town a man died because of H1N1, only the age was a bit different (it's such a small country, that all 40-50 persons were on news who died because of H1N1, without name of course).

Kachitakai was so enthusiastic and passionate towards sumo and sharing data, managing games, he could not leave these of his own motion, so I can think only about the worse what happened to him. I tried to get concrete infos about him, but I couldn't. But he is (and will be) always listed on my site as co-author. I knew him personally, too, and I miss a good friend very much. I hope some day I will have enough time or I will have help to continue his work.
猫錦万慈 匈牙利親方

#39 Takanorappa

Takanorappa

Tried a Calpis lately?

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 16:04

Kofujinokami is becoming a reality....

Jejoma & Jakusotsu, you two are a geniuses! I love this idea! Not only does it honor Bob, but it turns the drone from a force of evil to one of good.

Edited by Takanorappa, 29 February 2012 - 16:05.

a Calpis fan am I. of Calpis I am fond. Of Calpis I oft think of. it helps me push when I chug.
an SFM fan am I, too. it's hard to chug, though...

Posted Image

#40 Flohru

Flohru

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 18:10

That's indeed a great idea and I'm going to root for Kofujinokami! Still I think we need to add some kind of memorial page on the BS website explaining why the drone is called like that, so that we can avoid that some new player will ask the inevitable question "Who was Kofuji" in a year or two.

#41 Zenjimoto

Zenjimoto

Hinata-Beya (Florida, USA)

• Active Members
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 22:45

Sekitori-Toto also uses a drone, although in its current formula probably would not be much of a tribute (picking X on every pick) - if the drone formula could somehow be changed to be more representative of honorable gameplay, I would be all for changing Exidrono to Kofujinokami...
Posted Image

#42 Jejima

Jejima

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 05:02

That's indeed a great idea and I'm going to root for Kofujinokami! Still I think we need to add some kind of memorial page on the BS website explaining why the drone is called like that, so that we can avoid that some new player will ask the inevitable question "Who was Kofuji" in a year or two.

A good idea. That could be added to the rules page, under the drone rules, complete with Kofuji's picture. All new players (I hope) read the rules before playing. (Sigh...)
2004 by Boltono

#43 Pandaazuma

Pandaazuma

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:51

All good but if you want to say Kofuji's ghost, it needs to be Kofujinoyuurei! Kami means god.

小富士の幽霊

I am assuming his shikona meant little mount fuji originally!

#44 Naganoyama

Naganoyama

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 4,212 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:02

All good but if you want to say Kofuji's ghost, it needs to be Kofujinoyuurei! Kami means god.

小富士の幽霊

Kami also means spirit, in the sense of a spirit inhabiting the trees for example, and seems to me entirely appropriate to this use.

#45 Pandaazuma

Pandaazuma

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:00

小富士の幽霊

Kami also means spirit, in the sense of a spirit inhabiting the trees for example, and seems to me entirely appropriate to this use.

Yes, this is indeed true, but it means tree spirit, as in something that is worshipped, which is quite different from the spirit of a person who has died. Kofuji never struck me as the kind of guy who wanted to be worshipped!

That said, in a sense all us gamers do worship the lad because of all the great things he did for the games. In that sense, he could be seen as a 'kami', or (sumo games) god.

My point was that the spirit of a dead person, or ghost, or even the other various possible meanings of human spirit, are not encompassed by the word kami (unless that human is to be worshipped).

Kami sounds a lot better than 'yuurei' however!

S

Edited by Pandaazuma, 01 March 2012 - 12:01.

#46 Pandaazuma

Pandaazuma

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:47

On further reflection, Kofujinorei is also possible. Ghost can be yuurei or just rei.

And if one were to consider Kofuji as a sumo games god (worshipped by his followers) returned to the material realm, Kofujigami or Kofujinokami would both be acceptable.

#47 Jakusotsu

Jakusotsu

North Pole Ichimon

• Moderators
  • 5,891 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 13:03

On further reflection, Kofujinorei is also possible. Ghost can be yuurei or just rei.

And if one were to consider Kofuji as a sumo games god (worshipped by his followers) returned to the material realm, Kofujigami or Kofujinokami would both be acceptable.

It's good to have this discussion going among people who actually have some knowledge of Japanese (which I don't). My own suggestion of Kofujinokami was just a shot in the dark.

Kofujigami sounds nice.
"I don't believe anyone has the right not to be offended by something." - ryafuji

#48 Jejima

Jejima

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 13:43

Well, for Bench Sumo (at least) he will become the drone known as 'Kofujinokami'. Bob was very much an outdoor man (as can be seen by his love of dragonflies, and the rest). In the brief week that I knew/met him, we spent a lot of time outdoors, heading off-road in his 4X4 into UAE, and (especially) Oman. He took me to several places of interest, which would be unknown to the casual traveller.

Plus, he was a 'god' to sumo gaming programming.

His wife likes the name.

Bob was not in favour of long shikonas (as they take longer to input into the automation... and mess up result pages.) It was Bob that set the maximum 14 (or 13... I forget which..) characters for Bench Sumo shikona display...
2004 by Boltono

#49 Gochisozan

Gochisozan

Jonokuchi

• Regular Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:59

A pity then that tombo (Japanese for dragonfly) can't be incorporated into the shikona.

#50 nomadwolf

nomadwolf

Juryo

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:29

Sekitori-Toto also uses a drone, although in its current formula probably would not be much of a tribute (picking X on every pick) - if the drone formula could somehow be changed to be more representative of honorable gameplay, I would be all for changing Exidrono to Kofujinokami...

to slightly side track, just keep adding more drones! (i.e. don't remove Exidrono). As the numbers increase, they'll gain sentience, and eventually will turn on Skynet...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users