Photo

Then & Now

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Then & Now (23 member(s) have cast votes)

From the 2002 Hatsu banzuke, only eight sekitori remain active ten years on. Who will survive the year and be on the 2013 Hatsu banzuke?

1. Aminishiki (20 votes [20.62%])

Percentage of vote: 20.62%

2. Hamanishiki (9 votes [9.28%])

Percentage of vote: 9.28%

3. Kyokutenho (12 votes [12.37%])

Percentage of vote: 12.37%

4. Miyabiyama (20 votes [20.62%])

Percentage of vote: 20.62%

5. Takamisakari (6 votes [6.19%])

Percentage of vote: 6.19%

6. Tochinonada (6 votes [6.19%])

Percentage of vote: 6.19%

7. Towanoyama (15 votes [15.46%])

Percentage of vote: 15.46%

8. Wakanosato (9 votes [9.28%])

Percentage of vote: 9.28%

9. None of them - they will all retire in 2012 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote

#1 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:55

My head says Aminishiki and Miyabiyama will survive. My heart wants Hamanishiki and Towanoyama to survive. We shall see...

Thread will be closed on Shonichi.

Edited by Yubinhaad, 31 December 2011 - 13:03.

#2 Jejima

Jejima

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 13:29

Sayonara to Hamanishiki, Takamisakari and Wakanosato.

The rest will battle on.
2004 by Boltono

#3 ilovesumo

ilovesumo

才走る?нет!

• Active Members
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 13:55

Tenho - cause he still can go like usually.
"Live your Dreams, don't dream your life" (John Gallery)

#4 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Kokakuka- Sunenikizumotsu

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,516 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 14:31

Miyabiyama, Aminishiki
"I wouldn't play for free even if you paid me!!"
Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
Posted Image

#5 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,972 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 14:47

Voted for everyone to still be there except Tenho and Sakari.

#6 Asojima

Asojima

Ancient Observer

• Active Members
  • 3,971 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 17:21

I am going with only Towanoyama and Miyabiyama. It will be a shakeup year with many bumpy rides.
 So ..... What is the speed of dark? 

Adoptee: Hitachigo (Ms34w), 28 yrs; 148.8kg/183cm, 11th year, High: Ms15w ---- Haru ( 0 - 7 )
Adoptee: Homarefuji (J6w), 28 yrs; 149.2kg/179cm, 7th year, High: M15w   -------- Haru ( 7 - 8 )

#7 Jakusotsu

Jakusotsu

North Pole Ichimon

• Moderators
  • 5,890 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 13:08

Looks like some of you are forgetting that Tenho will take over Oshima in a couple of months.
"I don't believe anyone has the right not to be offended by something." - ryafuji

#8 Pikenoyama

Pikenoyama

Makushita

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 02 January 2012 - 08:47

I guess, that only Sakari, Tenho and Tochinonada will call it quits.

#9 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 22:54

Thanks to everyone who has voted so far!

Any more for any more? The poll closes on Sunday. Time.gif

#10 kuroimori

kuroimori

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,523 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 12:15

my guess is that only Robocop & Miyabi will hang in there, all others have to hang up their mawashi for good in 2012.
kuroimori

黒森

#11 Vikanohara

Vikanohara

Rattlehead

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 22:21

I went for Aminishiki, Kyokutenho, Miyabiyama & Wakanosato to survive 2012.

#12 Jejima

Jejima

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 08:56

Thanks to everyone who has voted so far!

Any more for any more? The poll closes on Sunday. Time.gif

Great idea for a poll, by the way - I wish I had thought of it :-)

Can you make it an annual one?
2004 by Boltono

#13 Flohru

Flohru

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:34

Wakanosato (still good enough), Aminishiki (still young enough), Miyabiyama (still healthy enough) and Towanoyama (still motivated enough to make it back to Juryo) will still be around in 12 months.

#14 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 16:51

Great idea for a poll, by the way - I wish I had thought of it (Clapping wildly...)

Can you make it an annual one?

Thanks! And sure, I'd be happy to do it again next time.

#15 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 00:25

Aminishiki and Miyabiyama received the most votes with 19 each, so there is plenty of confidence in those two to make it through to 2013. Towanoyama is also seen as a likely survivor; perhaps, as Flohru noted, the big man still has the motivation to make it back to the sekitori ranks.

Eleven voters apparently have more confidence in Kyokutenho the rikishi than Kyokutenho the prospective oyakata. He's supposed to be taking over Oshima-beya in April, when the current shisho turns 65. Still, as we have seen many times in the past, strange things can happen and kabu do not always babu as expected.

It was so nice to see Hamanishiki return to Juryo at the end of last year, however lucky that return might have been. It didn't last long of course, but he has been surviving in Makushita for years already and hopefully will do so for another year at least, whatever his current motivation might be.

Wakanosato's motivation is clear - return to Makuuchi, and if he can pick up yet another Juryo yusho in the process then so much the better. It remains to be seen how much, if anything, his latest injury has taken out of him.

Takamisakari and Tochinonada received the fewest votes, five apiece, and I'm afraid I have to agree with that conclusion. Neither man has looked like storming back to the top flight lately, and perhaps the best they can hope for is to make it through the year mired in Juryo. There can't be many ex-collegiate rikishi as experienced as those two who continue after demotion to Makushita - especially if they already own a toshiyori.

Thanks to everyone who participated in this poll! :-) We'll revisit it at the end of the year to see who survived.

#16 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 14:28

With this year of sumo at an end, let's run through the rikishi who featured in this poll.

Aminishiki - despite having one leg which consists mainly of bandages, Ami is thriving in the top half of the Makuuchi division, his lowest rank this year being Maegashira 4. For me, he has taken a place alongside Kyokutenho and Wakanosato as one of the elder statesmen of ozumo.

Hamanishiki - the other nishiki lasted for just a single basho this year, retiring after the Hatsu basho and taking over Kasugayama-beya when the previous shisho became a Kyokai director. While I was sad to see him leave the dohyo, I'm happy he's found a place to stay in the sumo world.

Kyokutenho - where to start? It was a foregone conclusion that Kyokutenho would retire in April to succeed his retiring shisho. But the veteran Mongolian had other ideas, and it paid off in the very next basho when he clinched an under-the-radar yusho. He just keeps on going. I really must congratulate Jejima, ilovesumo, Vikanohara and the eight anonymous members of Kyokutenho's family who believed he would survive. (I am not worthy...)

Miyabiyama - the sad decline of this former Ozeki continued in 2012, to the point where he is now just (maybe) clinging on at the very bottom of the Makuuchi division. He wasn't on the intai list after the Kyushu basho, but we wait to see if he will fight at all in 2013.

Takamisakari - he and Miyabiyama are polar opposites in every way, but at least they're declining together. Robocop is also just about clinging onto his active career, albeit at the bottom of the Juryo division. He'll retire if he falls to Makushita, but maybe he can eke out a couple more basho before that happens.

Tochinonada - weighed down by the dozen gold stars he collected over the years, Tochinonada called it a day after the Hatsu basho and is now a coach in Kasugano-beya.

Towanoyama - he keeps toiling away in Makushita but can't quite seem to get close enough to becoming a sekitori again. He's 35 now but he hasn't given up, presumably still aiming for that elusive return to the paid ranks.

Wakanosato - with Aminishiki still holding his own at the top and Kyokutenho bouncing around in between, Wakanosato provides a nice bookend for the lower Maegashira ranks. Maybe the old raw strength isn't there quite so much now, but with age comes experience and Wakanosato survives the year in good shape.

============

Screenshot of the original results (someone voted after I unlocked the topic and neglected to re-lock it):

TN1.png

Edited by Yubinhaad, 05 January 2013 - 16:11.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users