Photo

2011 All-Japan Amateur Championships

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 16:12

The 2011 amateur yokozuna is Mutoshi Matsunaga, teacher at Yukokan HS in Hirado-shi (Nagasaki prefecture), after beating somethingsomething Tanno 丹野圭功 (Akita Prefecture Japan Amateur Sports Association) by uwatenage in the final. It's the second title for the Nihon Taiiku alum; he previously earned the amateur world's highest honours in 2008 in his first year after graduation, now becoming the first multiple champion since Keiji Tamiya (ex-Kotomitsuki, 1996/97). In an interesting twist, in both years his victory has followed a group victory by his alma mater in the All-Japan college championships weeks before.

"Since the 2008 title I hadn't managed to win a single tournament even on the local circuit, so I really wanted to do my best here", a teary-eyed Matsunaga explained his elation during the yusho interview. In addition to his position as physical education teacher he's (of course) also running the school's sumo club; however, at present there's just one student. Matsunaga hopes that the publicity from his victory will spur a few more to give it a try.

Smallish Nihon Taiiku 2nd-year student Atsushi Takita (listed at 180 cm / 112 kg last year) and teacher Yuta Nakamura from Toyoura-shi in Yamaguchi prefecture reached the semifinals to take third place. Kokutai champion and prospective makushita tsukedashi Masahiro Yamaguchi went out against Tanno in the first knockout round following the prelims (R32, I think) and was unable to hide his disappointment about his performance and was heard talking about perhaps taking a teaching job after graduation instead of turning professional.

The 68-strong field did not feature last year's champion Satoru Shibuya who was absent altogether with a hip injury, while this year's high school yokozuna Sasaki and university yokozuna Shodai both didn't survive the prelims, the latter even going 0-3 while still suffering the after-effects of a left foot injury he sustained in the All-Japan College group championships following his individual victory last month.

Da winner:

Posted Image

Some results via Mainichi:

Quarterfinals:
Atsushi Takita (Nihon Taiiku University 2nd year) yorikiri Osamu Takahashi (Nagasaki Shimabara HS faculty)
圭功 Tanno (Akita Prefecture JASA) kirikaeshi Motoki Tomita (Wakayama prefectural government)
Yuta Nakamura (Yamaguchi Toyoura school faculty) shitatedashinage Kengo Arakizeki (Toyo University faculty)
Mutoshi Matsunaga (Nagaseki Yukokan HS faculty) yoritaoshi Hisashi Omichi (Toyo University 1st year)

Semifinals:
Tanno okuridashi Takita
Matsunaga uwatenage Nakamura

Final:
Matsunaga uwatenage Tanno

Edited by Asashosakari, 04 December 2011 - 16:17.

#2 Yubinhaad

Yubinhaad

Ozeki

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,652 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 18:50

The moment of victory:

Posted Image

#3 Otokonoyama

Otokonoyama

montani semper liberi

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,369 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 01:33

The 2011 amateur yokozuna is Mutoshi Matsunaga, teacher at Yukokan HS in Hirado-shi (Nagasaki prefecture), after beating somethingsomething Tanno 丹野圭功 (Akita Prefecture Japan Amateur Sports Association) by uwatenage in the final...

I'll take a wild stab at the reading and suggest Yoshinori.

#4 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,955 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:25

The 2011 amateur yokozuna is Mutoshi Matsunaga, teacher at Yukokan HS in Hirado-shi (Nagasaki prefecture), after beating somethingsomething Tanno 丹野圭功 (Akita Prefecture Japan Amateur Sports Association) by uwatenage in the final...

I'll take a wild stab at the reading and suggest Yoshinori.

Officially acknowledged as Yoshinori by H.I.Ragana

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#5 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,557 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 21:30

The winner with the wares, at the customary "I done good" meet-and-greet with his hometown's mayor:

Posted Image

Edited by Asashosakari, 12 December 2011 - 21:30.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users