86 replies to this topic

#1 Kofuji

Kofuji

Inveterate sumo games programmer and SFI Oyakata

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:36

Unfortunately for sumo gaming, there is a very real possibility that our host will be moving during the basho. Akisunni's wife is a city manager and she is currently negotiating with a couple of larger cities on a move. In the long term this will be better for us as we will end up with a much more reliable, faster internet connection. But real life may interfere with this basho. Even in the short term, Akisunni will be giving up the current location we are housing the servers and I will have to reconsolidate everything on one server for the next basho. I am currently in Canada and will be leaving our cottage on Monday and arriving back in the UAE next Friday.

Sorry for the bad news, especially when it should be such an interesting basho.

Edited by Kofuji, 04 September 2011 - 10:40.

Visit the Sumo games portal for links to all your favourite online sumo games! Sumo Reference Adoptees and additional information
"We apologise for the inconvenience", God's Final Message to His Creation, written in letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains, Sevorbeupstry, on planet Preliumtarn, Galactic Sector QQ7 Active J Gamma.

#2 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,378 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 18:44

@Mods: Could this thread be sticky'ed?

Meanwhile, adding in Kofuji's additional information that came in via email:

Akisunni has shut down the servers and moved them to his house. We then realized that because of changes to the network topology due to his deranged neighbour, housing the servers at his home would mean being behind 5 daisy-chained routers. He was able to arrange for the servers to be housed in his neighbour's guest house which is at the head of the chain. This will get us through the start of the basho and I should be able to do the necessary configuration changes over several hours in the next few days. Whether this solution will survive an actual move in the middle of the basho, I'm not sure as both cities being contemplated for a move are a long distance from their current location.

Edited by Asashosakari, 30 August 2011 - 18:50.

#3 Kofuji

Kofuji

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:11

Thanks for making this a sticky.

Further update from our host is that his wife has accepted an offer and they will be moving. The date is not set, but at the moment, it sounds like it may be after the basho, but things could move faster than expected. I will keep you informed as more details become available. The good news is that for November we should be on a fast fiber connection.

I fly from Canada to UAE tomorrow evening. I'll try to get the banzuke loaded from the sumoreference shortly after I get home. Been too busy to do it here and we lost DNS for the only window I had as it turned out.
Visit the Sumo games portal for links to all your favourite online sumo games! Sumo Reference Adoptees and additional information
"We apologise for the inconvenience", God's Final Message to His Creation, written in letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains, Sevorbeupstry, on planet Preliumtarn, Galactic Sector QQ7 Active J Gamma.

#4 Kofuji

Kofuji

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 19:34

Back in the UAE.

The banzuke is now loaded for BenchSumo, ChainGang, ISP, RotoSumo and Sekitori-Toto. I will try to finish the infrastructure changes for Maegashira and Juryo Games tomorrow.

For those that might have an interest, here's the competition our host's wife has won. Apparently the city has a full fiber infrastructure so we should have nice connectivity for November.

#5 Kofuji

Kofuji

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:28

Good news ... our host isn't moving until October 2nd ...

Bad news ... dyndns updater doesn't seem to be working properly on the router and we've lost connectivity until our host wakes up. I think I'll turn it off at the router and back on at the server. Hopefully that will work better.

#6 Kofuji

Kofuji

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 18:11

The servers are back online. There are problems with the internet in Gold Beach. Jack tells me that they were down for at least 6 hours yesterday. It looks like the router was a contributing issue in making the outage longer than need be. "A few weeks ago, we had a fire that took out the fiber and the cable backbones. Since then, net out here has been really weird. Local Frontier users can not see Charter hosted sites." Apparently it seems to be stable today. Let's hope it stays that way.

#7 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

• Active Members
  • 16,378 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 16:32

*pokes non-responsive server*

Down for the last 90 minutes or so.

#8 Kotoviki

Kotoviki

琴美輝

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 17:52

and still down..... I have to go to bed so I guess I will miss the entries for all my games for tomorrow!! If only I had a smart phone I could enter from inside the kokugikan but.. I don't!!! (Applauding...)((

#9 Kofuji

Kofuji

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 16 September 2011 - 18:23

It looks like the IP has changed on the router and dyndns hasn't followed for some reason. It should be updating both from the router and a server. I've emailed our host but he doesn't seem to be online at the moment.

#10 Kofuji

Kofuji

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:36

It looks like we could be in for an extended outage. I finally resorted to going through our host's Twitter feed and it appears that he is on a five hour drive to the new city to negotiate a deal for new housing. I've tried him on several email addresses, Skype and Twitter but no response yet. If he is away from Gold Beach, he will be shut out like we are unless he can call a neighbor to get things going again.

#11 Kofuji

Kofuji

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 04:53

Just got an email from our host ... sounds like it will be another 24 hours.

#12 Kofuji

Kofuji

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 18:13

Just got an update from our host. He's headed back to Gold Beach and we will hopefully see the servers again in 5 to 6 hours assuming we are only dealing with a router issue.

#13 Haruibono

Haruibono

Sandanme

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 23:31

and still down..... I have to go to bed so I guess I will miss the entries for all my games for tomorrow!! If only I had a smart phone I could enter from inside the kokugikan but.. I don't!!! (Showing respect...)((

An alternative is goo sumo, which is less detailed then Sumo Reference, but better than nothing I guess (Showing respect...).

#14 Randomitsuki

Randomitsuki

Clueless Clairvoyant

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,760 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 23:33

It's back!!!

Edited by Randomitsuki, 17 September 2011 - 23:42.

Avatar Copyright 2004 by Boltono.

乱道光喜 - ran-dou-mitsu-ki - rejoicing in the light of the Chaos Way

#15 Fukurou

Fukurou

Ozeki

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,124 posts

Posted 17 September 2011 - 23:45

It's back!!!

Good news!

Now we wait for the day 8 info to be loaded (ISP says the match hasn't been picked, ST says the torikumi hasn't been uploaded, etc).
Posted Image
Fukurou

"Look! I have one job... it's stupid, but I'm gonna do it! Okay?"
-- Gwen DeMarco

#16 Kofuji

Kofuji

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:31

As noted, we're back. It turned out there was a power failure and for some reason the web server didn't restart when the power came back on. I am now manually getting things up to date. Day 9 should go normally.

#17 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

• Active Members
  • 16,378 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 03:48

Many thanks. (Showing respect...)

Torikumi is up now, whew.

#18 Sakana

Sakana

Komusubi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:29

A statue for all of the admins ! (games, server, everything !)

#19 Heikotoriki

Heikotoriki

Makushita

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:42

As noted, we're back. It turned out there was a power failure and for some reason the web server didn't restart when the power came back on. I am now manually getting things up to date. Day 9 should go normally.

Many, many thanks!!! (Showing respect...)

#20 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

• Active Members
  • 16,378 posts

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:51

Toto should be up to date once today's bouts have concluded.

Edit: If you find any data entry or scoring errors, let me know.

Edited by Asashosakari, 18 September 2011 - 08:56.

#21 Kofuji

Kofuji

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 05:44

Just a further update now that we are through the basho without further incidents:

Our host will be moving around October 8th. It looks like they will be getting a house in the city of Molalla that is on fiber with 40mb down and 20mb up, so we should have very good connectivity. I'm not sure on timing, but I would expect that we will be offline for a minimum of three days and up to 10 days. Since this is in the quiet time between bashos, the only thing the sumo gaming community cares about during that period will be the SumoReference and GTB. The banzuke isn't announced until October 31st so I expect we'll be stabilized well before then.

Edited by Kofuji, 26 September 2011 - 05:45.

#22 Jejima

Jejima

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:44

Just a further update now that we are through the basho without further incidents:

Many thanks for the update. Please pass on our continued thanks to Akisunni (Showing respect...)

Since this is in the quiet time between bashos, the only thing the sumo gaming community cares about during that period will be the SumoReference and GTB.

All the more reason to make an early pick for GTB....

When can we expect any possible Ozeki promotion news?
2004 by Boltono

#23 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,737 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:06

Many thanks for the update. Please pass on our continued thanks to Akisunni (Clapping wildly...)

Since this is in the quiet time between bashos, the only thing the sumo gaming community cares about during that period will be the SumoReference and GTB.

Wednesday morning (at five o'clock as the day begins) at the latest, since the Banzuke committee convenes then to make the new Banzuke.

I am retroactive.
Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#24 ronnie

ronnie

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 18:35

Many thanks for the update. Please pass on our continued thanks to Akisunni (Clapping wildly...)

Wednesday morning (at five o'clock as the day begins) at the latest, since the Banzuke committee convenes then to make the new Banzuke.

Will the news be a note that they hoped would say more?

#25 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,737 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 18:38

Will the news be a note that they hoped would say more?

They'll be meeting a man from the motor trade, I hear.

I am retroactive.
Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users