Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 18:03

Kaisei (10-5) losing to Asasekiryu by yorikiri, 48.4 second
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Making his Makuuchi debut, finishing with a double digit win record and getting Kanto-sho award)
"I never imagined I could have won this many. But I am acutely aware that I still lack speed at tachiai to win consistently at a high ranking level. I will put the award money in my saving account."

Kiseonosato (8-7) over Takekaze by oshidashi, 3.9 second
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Getting kachikoshi on the Senshuraku)
"The basho was really tough. From the first half I could get going and not able to start anything. I guess I still have not gained enough strength yet."

Takekaze (7-8) losing to Kisenosato
-----------------------------------------------------
(Losing at 7-7)
"I never had a feel of getting kachikoshi. I will have to get back and will need to gradually build up a little by little as if I have to start all over again."

Goeido (11-4) over Tosayutaka by yorikiri, 6.2 second
------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Certain to return to Sanyaku next basho)
"I feel a good amount of satisfaction over being able to leave with a good record while facing top rank rikishi. I am especially gratified to know that I have been acknowledged for Gino-sho award."

Tochinoshin (12-3) losing to Harumafuji by yorikiri, 12.6 second
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Won Kanto-sho but not satisfied with the result)
"I am not happy at all. I really wanted to get the last win to go into a yusho kettei-sen. It was a foolish loss. I was so tense. I can only feel nothing except regret now. I really want to aim for Sanyaku next basho."

Kotoshogiku (10-5) over Baruto by yorikiri, 8.8 second
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Beating Baruto to get his 10th, following his 11 win record from the Hatsu Basho, keeping ozeki promotion hope alive after the next basho.)
"I felt so good, fulfilled. I am very happy. I will come back strong after resetting my mind."

Takanohana oyakata, Director of Judging
---------------------------------------- -----------------
(On Kotoshogiku)
"Obviously his record will be closely watched next basho. Many tend to get stuck with a certain number of wins but we are more interested in quality of his sumo. We all look forward to him displaying good competitive sumo."

Okinoumi (7-8) losing to Kakuryu by yorikiri, 12.5 second
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Ranked at high Makuuchi for the first time and beat three ozeki but ending up with Makekoshi)
"Without getting a kachikoshi really means nothing. I am just weak, that's all."

Kakuryu (12-3) over Okinoumi
-------------------------------------------------
"I screwed up my tachiai but I was able to remain calm. I was able to move forward and that contribute to my win today."
(Winning 12 bouts and his sixth Gino-sho)
"Rather than merely overjoyed with the result, I would like to continue to focus more on my sumo in the future."

Kaio (9-6) over Hakuho by yorikiri, 21.7 second
-------------------------------------------------------------------
(Exerted everything he had to win by yori using his favorite Migi-uwate)
"I wanted to come back with no regret especially thinking about everyone who came over here under the circumstance we were in."
(Now only one more win to tie the historic most win record by Chiyonofuji)
"There are some thing you can never do anything about regardless of how hard you think about."
(On Nagoya Basho)
"Not knowing whether we have a basho or not isn't easy at all. But I will try to do all my best not losing motivation to work harder."

Hakuho (13-2) losing to Kaio
------------------------------------------
(On Tochonoshin bout)
"Actually I was trying not to look at it."
(Winning his seventh consecutive yusho equaling the record held by Asashoryu)
"I am happy to be able to reach the level of the 68th yokozuna, one senior of myself. But you know right now we've just completed the basho without an incident. So you can understand I feel no ambition of eight consecutive at the moment. I felt the basho to be really long. I was able to achieve what is considered to be a feat, seven consecutive basho yusho but more than anything else I am pleased to know I was able to leave the basho with a good result. I could not really understand what it meant by an ability judging basho initially but I am happy with what I have been able to accomplish. I am convinced that hard training we do day in and day out is what we are all about."
(Asking if he was beaten by Kaio's more determined spirit)
"I guess if you want to describe it in one word, that will be it. It means my opponent was stronger today."
"We all should remember winning is not simply what the Sumo-doh is all about."
(No awarding of the Yusho trophy but this time he did not shed any tears over it.)
"Yeah, I did not cry this time. You know I was really convinced that it would never happen again but it did. But I believe going through such an experience made me more mentally disciplined and tougher. I had some concerns prior to the basho but I wanted to show more than any other basho that in this basho the strongest would prevail."
"By visiting the victims of earthquake prior to bacho made me feel we all have to work together and do all our best to recover from tough times."
"It's true that losing so many whom we have shared our meal together got us all down. But now I believe we were able to restore some level of credibility overall. There is no other way but for what we have lost on the dohyo, we can only try to regain back on the dohyo."

Hanaregoma oyakata, Kyokai chairman
-----------------------------------------------------
(On two yusho race rikishi losing today)
"I guess (jokingly) it means Kaio is the strongest."
"Relatively speaking I feel everyone competed with pretty good sumo throughout. But once again throughout the whole basho, Hakuho was the one who had contributed most in solidifying the basho. He has done a tremendous job for us. We have had so many people coming by so I am sure that made all rikishi more motivated to display good sumo."

-------------------------------------------------------
"We had quite a few good thrilling bouts this basho, especially those bouts between Makushita high ranking rikishi were really exciting. Today we had excellent bouts in the last half of Makuuchi and involving Sanyaku rikishi."
(Takanohana oyakata will be considering a unprecedented banzuke making for the next basho as no Juryo rikishi likely fall down to Makushita and up to 13 Makushita rikishi headed to Juryo next basho. Even a makekoshi rikishi in Makushita may be promoted as there are only 11 Makushita kachikoshi rikishi within ten Makushita rankings, with a likely possibility of Makushita West Lead 1 Kakizoe with 3-4 record to be promoted back to Juryo.)
"You must realize that banzuke is an organically growing entity so there will be many cross interactions."

(Certain to be promoted to Juryo for the first time are, Aoiyama, Takanoyama, Kaonishiki, Minami, Chiyonokuni and Mochimaru while to be back in Juryo are Kakizoe, Kanbayashi, Matsutani,
Sotairyu, Miyogyiryu and Hamanishiki. The last remaining spot will likely be taken either by East Makushita 3 Arawashi with 3-4 or Makushita East 12 Kyokushuho with 4-3 record, both from Mongolia and aiming for the first Juryo promotion. )

Kakizoe
--------------
(Suffering consecttive makekoshi since the Hatsu basho last year resulting him tumbling down from Makuuchi to Makushita, barely beating Juryo Masuarami on the Senshuraku by hatakikomi,)
"Winning and losing this bout would have made a huge difference, I went with everything I had. The rest is up to those oyakata in Judging."

Sansho Award Selection Committee held their regular basho meeting and awarded Kanto-sho to Kaisei who won nine consecutive bouts from the opening day and Tochinoshin who battled Hakuho for the yusho till the Senshuraku. Kakuryu and Goeido were the Gino-sho winners but there was no Shukun-sho winner.

o Shunkun-sho: none
o Kanto-sho: Tochinoshin(3), Kaisei(first)
o Gino-sho: Kakuryu(6), Goeido(2)

Makuuchi Yusho
----------------
Hakuho, East Yokozuna (13-2)
Real name: Mönkhbatyn Davaajargal from Mongolia. Miyagino Beya.
Dohyo debut: 2001 Haru Basho, Makuuchi debut: 2004 Natsu Basho. As a new ozeki, won his first yusho at the 2006 Natsu Basho. Following 2007 Natsu Basho, promoted to yokozuna. Won 63 consecutive bouts in 2010, the second most in sumo history. Won 86 bouts, the most in year in 2009 and 2010. 192 cm, 154 kg. 26 years old.
Favorite move: Migi-yotsu, yori, uwate-nage.

Most Yusho by Active Rikishi
-----------------------------
1. Hakuho - 19
2. Kaio - 5
3. Kotooshu -1
3. Harumafuji - 1

Consecutive Yusho Record
---------------------------
1. Hakuho - 7
1. Asahoryu - 7
3. Taiho - 6
4. Tachiyama - 5
4. Tochigiyama - 5
4. Futabayama - 5
4. Kitanoumi - 5
4. Chiyonofuji - 5

Career Yusho Record
-----------------------------
1. Taiho - 32
2. Chiyonofuji - 31
3. Asashoryu - 25
4. Kitanoumi - 24
5. Takanohana - 22
6. Hakuho - 19
7. Wajima - 14
8. Futabayama - 12
8. Musashimaru - 12
10. Akebono - 11

(Often quoted and a generally considered current standard of one generation yokozuna is 20 yusho. If Hakuho wins one more yusho and acquires Japanese citizenship, he will be qualified to be given as other than Asashoryu who never acquired the citizenship, all higher level rikishi were awarded the toshiyori share though Chiyonofuji opted out.)

Juryo Yusho: Sagatsukasa (former Makuuchi) of Irumagawa Beya
Makushita: Matsutani 7-0 (former Juryo) of Matsugane Beya, second consecutive basho yusho by Matsutani
Sandanme: Hokutokuni 7-0 (former Juryo) of Hakkaku Beya beat Okunoshima of Chiganoura Beya in the yusho kettei-sen today.
Jonidan: Kainoryu 7-0 of Tomozuna Beya
Jonokuchi: Hisanotora 7-0 of Tagonoura Beya

After successfully concluding a special Ability Judging May Basho on May 22, the Kyokai will likely be proceeding to acquire an understanding from Ministry of Education and Science to hold a regular admission based hon-basho Nagoya Basho at the Aichi Gymnasium starting on July 10.

Judging Group and Audit Committee members will hold a special combined meeting on July 25 to review processes and measures placed to prevent re-occurrence of Yaocho. Subsequently a new banzuke will be set for the Nagoya Basho. "I feel we have properly and appropriately follow through with the measures set prior to the basho," Hanaregoma oyakata said.

If the committee members believe they have reached a point of closure in fulfilling their mandate by concluding a full investigation, settling penalties and suspensions of guilty rikishi and a firm road map to prevention of future re-occurrence, then the board of directors will accept their finding and convey their intention to the ministry for restoring a full hon basho at Nagoya.

According to Nishonoseki oyakata, Audit and Security Committee chairman, there was not even a single bout suspected of "non-motivated sumo". "Obviously we should not have even a single bout we need to review and that's the way it should always be," Hanaregoma oyakata said.

Reserve ticket sales for Nagoya Basho was to start at May 19 by the main sponsor, the Chunichi Newspapers but due to uncertainty the ticket sale has been held back. According to officials they are currently preparing to start the sale on June 6 if the Kyokai decides to go ahead with a regular basho.

This May Ablitiy Basho was held after news of yaocho incidents amid fears of more regular sumo fans deserting Ozumo. However with opening of the Kokugikan to the public without any admission fee encouraged over 6,000 people to attend the basho daily.

A 66 year old company president who has been an Ozumo fan for over 40 years said, "We had more heated bouts this basho. I have seen some great bouts today." However with closing of all Chaya stores and no alcohol sales, she felt there was still too much of air of self restraint. "I must admit we missed that special regular excitement around here," she added.

On the free admission policy for this basho, 42 year old Akihiko Okuse from Chiba Prefecture who has been to the Kokugian for the first time had this to say, "The ultimate question is whether all young people who have never watched Ozumo but came today will find an attraction or not." "They should realize that the fans are watching them with sharper focus. Unless they continue to have serious competition, Ozumo will cease to exist."

A regular sumo fan also raised a serious issue with free admission basho. An English teacher from Iruma City, Saitama, Vicky Cody (someone we may know of !!), 45, attends almost every day of hon basho, points out the following, "There are too many people who simply get up from their seat during bouts. There are many people who could not attend this basho because the tickets were distributed freely (by a lottery)."

The Kyokai officials are currently working to hold a regular hon-basho at Nagoya and are hoping to restore a hon-basho as quickly as possible. "Especially for those who regularly attend a hon-basho, we would like to make the basho as a regular hon-basho rather than a free admission basho," said a Nagoya Basho Ticket Office official.

Attendance today: 9,140 (the most recorded this basho since counting the number of attendees on Day 3).

There was no single day of sell out (11,098) with Day 5 having the least number of spectators with 6,018. Often the Maiin-onray banner is draped down with over 80 to 90% of the capacity but the Kyokai decided not to do it this basho even if they reached the mark. It turned out that the Senshuraku was the only day to reach the point. This year's Hatsu Basho had 5 times.

While almost all of reserved seats were distributed by one day prior to the basho day and all of the same day tickets were distributed by early morning every day, the fact that there were so many empty seats visible was that many of the ticket holders did not bother to show up.

Video: No NHK live or digest broadcast.
NicoNico Video access - over 1,575,000 total access, recording 159,000 access on Day 1. "Compared to live broadcast, the number is relatively higher and it is a number that we can safely judge we had quite high level of interest and response," a NicoNico offical said.

7-7 Rikishi Bouts on the Senshuraku:
Out of 10 Makuuchi riksihi, 4 won and 6 lost. All four 7-8 rikishi won their bout and for four 8-6 riksihi, the record was 2 win and 2 loss.
Out of 14 7-7 Juryo and above rikishi, it was even with 7 rikishi winning their bout and 7 losing.

Kimurayama losing four consecutively from 7-4 mark to 6-8 Tamawashi: "This shows nothing else except that I am weaker so that's the reason I could not have won."

Homasho while spotting 2 win 12 loss record stopping 7-7 Aminishiki in a close call mono-ii bout from his kachikoshi: "Whether his getting kachikoshi or not has nothing to do with it. I can only go out with my sumo."

Miyabiyama (12 year Makuuchi veteran and former ozeki): "More than any other regular basho, all rikishi were more focus and aware of what is at stake and faced the basho with determination."

The Kyokai announced they have collected from the spectators a total of 2,165,365 Yen during the 15 days of May Ablity Basho for earthquake victims.

Closing address by the Kyokai chairman, Hanaregoma oyakata
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On this occasion of the Senshuraku, I would like to sincerely offer my greeting at this time.

Today, we have been able to welcome the Senshuraku without experiencing any incidents. This basho, came to be known as the May Ability Judging Basho, was indeed a highly unusual basho but with your warm support and encouragement, all rikishi headed by the yokozuna all fought hard and displayed heated sumo bouts and I beleive we have been able to fulfull your expecations. I would like to offer my sincere appreciation to you all.

We are determined to forge ahead with our efforts to further improve the competitions on the dohyo and restore our credibility by all of the Kyokai members working together as one with all our ability. I would like to close the greeting by asking once again for your continued guidance and expressing our adrent wish to be even more of your service in the future.

The Year 23 of Heisei, Public Foundation Nishon Sumo Kyokai Chairman Teruyuki Hanaregoma

< Heart Technique Physique >
More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours that keep us so tightly bound
You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies

#2 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,147 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 20:43

Hey Joe, where ya goin' with that gun in your hand(tadatadaataaaa..)
Thanks for your efforts-these are great. (Bye, bye...) (Sign of approval...)

Edited by Kintamayama, 22 May 2011 - 20:44.

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#3 Jaak

Jaak

Juryo

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 20:48

-------------------------------------------------------
"We had quite a few good thrilling bouts this basho, especially those bouts between Makushita high ranking rikishi were really exciting. Today we had excellent bouts in the last half of Makuuchi and involving Sanyaku rikishi."

That part is quote.

(Takanohana oyakata will be considering a unprecedented banzuke making for the next basho as no Juryo rikishi likely fall down to Makushita

Quote or speculation?
Tsurugidake, J14W, is 6:9. Needs demotion, no such post in Nagoya, and that means makushita.

and up to 13 Makushita rikishi headed to Juryo next basho.

Say "more than 13"

Even a makekoshi rikishi in Makushita may be promoted as there are only 11 Makushita kachikoshi rikishi within ten Makushita rankings, with a likely possibility of Makushita West Lead 1 Kakizoe with 3-4 record to be promoted back to Juryo.)

In the next 10 ranks, 11 to 20, there are 9 kachikoshis, starting with E-Ms12 Kyokushuho, but also including 4 with 5:2 record:

E-Ms16 Oniarashi
E-Ms17 Chiyoarashi
W-Ms18 Kitazono
W-Ms20 Satoyama

"You must realize that banzuke is an organically growing entity so there will be many cross interactions."

(Certain to be promoted to Juryo for the first time are, Aoiyama, Takanoyama, Kaonishiki, Minami, Chiyonokuni and Mochimaru while to be back in Juryo are Kakizoe, Kanbayashi, Matsutani,
Sotairyu, Miyogyiryu and Hamanishiki. The last remaining spot will likely be taken either by East Makushita 3 Arawashi with 3-4 or Makushita East 12 Kyokushuho with 4-3 record, both from Mongolia and aiming for the first Juryo promotion. )

So how about Oniarashi?

#4 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,736 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:25

Tsurugidake, J14W, is 6:9. Needs demotion, no such post in Nagoya, and that means makushita.

Please stop asserting that fact X must mean consequence Y. It's a recurring theme with your posts, but that's just not how things work with the banzuke, no matter how much you'd apparently like to raise mere guidelines to the status of immutable laws.

Edited by Asashosakari, 22 May 2011 - 21:26.

#5 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,736 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:31

Many thanks for the extra-large Rikishi Talk, Joe! (Sign of approval...)

#6 Naganoyama

Naganoyama

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:30

Thank you very much for these posts. They add interesting colour to the basho.

#7 Bugman

Bugman

Leaf Nibbler

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:28

Thank you very much for the translation, i am new to Sumo, have only been watching for 3 months now but i find it very interesting and exciting, this 2 week tournament was the first time i have seen Sumo live, (watched on live stream from the nihon sumo kyokai site) and i have had a wonderful time experiencing the culture and tradition of Sumo, your translation adds much perspective as the one thing i have had a problem with is i cannot speak Japanese and have often wondered what is being said, but i have learned some words and hope to learn more.

Thanks again (Sign of approval...)

To truly laugh, you must be able to take your pain and play with it.  -  Charlie Chaplin

#8 Orion

Orion

Sekiwake

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 01:58

While almost all of reserved seats were distributed by one day prior to the basho day and all of the same day tickets were distributed by early morning every day, the fact that there were so many empty seats visible was that many of the ticket holders did not bother to show up.

An alternative explanation is that the scalpers failed to to sell all the tickets they had obtained.

(I am not worthy...)

Orion

Edited by Orion, 24 May 2011 - 01:59.

#9 Jaak

Jaak

Juryo

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 16:24

Then do we have any actual quotes as to which guidelines they shall concede this time, which ones they would keep?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users