Kobo!

#2 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 22:48

"Nobody said it would be easy" wrote Sentoryu once on his forum when he was telling about his struggles with achilles injury and the road back to juryo. Same goes here. Nobody said it would be easy to discuss the least known rikishi in sekitori level as weekly rikishi. Kobo is a challenge but nobody gives up without an effort ok!?

Adachi may have personal experience with meeting Kobo, someone else might have that too, someone might be a big Miyagino-beya fan, someone may be utterly baffled by Kobo's presence and repeated lurking in makuuchi between steady intervals and wishes to state his/her bewilderment, someone may be married to Kobo's possible sister, someone might be Kobo's look-a-like or someone may consider Kobo interesting in number of ways. Low threshold humans! Take part in the discussion, join the fray, chuck in the informative salt, take the load of, put those neuronal synapse enhancements in use and recall Kobo-memories!

Kobo is a man who does sumo as profession. Rikishi that is. Kobo was born on 18th of August in 1973 in Kagoshima which is located in southern Japan. 182cm tall and weighs 129kg (before Hatsu 2004). Small rikishi with yotsu-style. He has competent legs which can mediate sotogake and are no strangers in mediating such rare techniques as ketaguri (against Tamarikido in makuuchi) and susoharai (against Wakanoyama in juryo). His career record is 442 wins - 406 losses - 14 absent. In makuuchi he has fought 45 bouts (3 basho) and has a modest record of 16-29. Evidently a good-natured fellow who doesn't spit into a glass. Problems in the past with many muscle tears. Kobo belongs to Miyagino-beya where most illuminating prospect is naturally Hakuho. Number 3 in Miyagino-beya is another Mongolian Ryuo who went 5-2 at Ms34. Altogether Miyagino-beya has 13 rikishi.

Couple of years ago someone wrote on sumo mailing list information over Kobo:

Kobo facts:

Firstly, the two characters that make up his shikona are 'light' or
'shining' (hikaru or koo) and 'law' (the same 'hoo' of 'hooritsu' -- law,
but, in this case, pronounced as 'boo'). Not too surprising from its
Buddhistic overtones, he got the shikona after consulting with a Buddhist
priest (at the beheast of his heya -- Miyagino). The name was chosen both
for its powerful meaning (loosely translatable as 'law of the light') and
because the characters corresponded with those of his father. Nonetheless,
it's a somewhat unusual name for sumo -- the characters use their
'Chinese' reading (on-yomi), instead of the 'Japanese' reading (kun-yomi).
He intially resisted using the name, and continued using his family name
for a while. By chance, his family name (Mineyama) would actually make a
decent shikona, as it could be translated as 'top of the mountain' (for
style sake, it'd probably become 'Mine-no-yama', but still...).

Nonetheless, since embracing the name (not trying to give the right
Shikona all the credit, but...), he's been doing quite well. He entered
Juryo in January 1999, joining his distant cousin and heya-mate,
Wakahayato (who, after a lengthy stint in Juryo, is currently down in
Makushita -- he's battling his own illnesses. In this case, diabetes. Go
Wakahayato!). Kobo has had his share of injuries (numerous torn muscles --
niku-banare) that have delayed him, but he's recently made steady progress
as the top rikishi for Miyagino-beya.

Beyond that, he's a very charming guy with a relaxed demeanor and a great
sense of humor. He's also got a great set of pipes (very good at karaoke)
and can hold his drink (bariki tsuyoi). What else, he hails from Kagoshima
-- about as far south as one can get without being in Okinawa. For a great
guy from a small heya, I really hope he gets his kachi-koshi and promotion
to Makunouchi (and, hopefully with this public service announcement, some
more fans).

More to follow later.

What do YOU know/think about Kobo? ;-)
The Core of Sumou is a very good thing always no matter if sumou is rotten or not.

#3 Mark Buckton

Mark Buckton

Yokozuna

• Archived Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 22:54

Adachi may have personal experience with meeting Kobo, someone else might have that too, someone might be a big Miyagino-beya fan

No experience for me sadly - see what the coming weeks turns up.

Lot of info above - very interesting K-san.

#4 Yubiquitoyama

Yubiquitoyama

Yubish

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 13:57

I don't know if I'm willing to agree on the statement that Kobo is the leastknown sekitori. There is definitely some competition for that position, although I agree he's definitely close... Still, Harunoyama and Kasuganishiki aren't the most talked-about Makunouchi rikishi either, not to mention such Juryo rikishi as Kaido and Juzan (Feeling guilty...)

Anyway, Kobo is something of an enigma. Not particularly big and definitely not spectacular (which is to say that he somehow can make even spectacular kimarite look rather dull and unentertaining, at least when the Kobo-factor has had 5 minutes to work on the memory of his bout), he still manages to get the wins and not really when people don't think he will, because people don't really think about Kobo AT ALL. It surprised me a few years ago when I realized that Kobo (as Mineyama, which is his real name) was very close to Juryo quite early in his career, at 22 or so, so he must have some talent which is constantly in action, but is less than obvious to us. Of course, it always dawns on me when watching him that he is better than I think, but somehow it never catches on... :-)

I wonder if there is something to being in Miyagino-beya that adds to that anynomity? His compatriot Wakahayato mentioned above was, if possible, even more anonymous, and although he didn't reach Makunouchi, he still spent quite a few basho in Juryo (some 20 basho or so), before dropping and retiring, and although I know very little about Miyagino-oyakata, I suspect even those who actually followed sumo back in his days have little to say about ex-Maegashira Chikubayama (He's one of the very grey-haired oyakatas if I remember correctly). :-)
Of course, Hakuho might well make that stamp disappear :-D

Ok, that was a bit of rambling, but I'll come back later (with hopefully a bit more to say and more info around me), in an attempt to have this topic a bit more lively :-)

Edited by Yubiquitoyama, 17 April 2004 - 14:01.

Start a support group for pessimists? Nah, that would never work...

#5 Zentoryu

Zentoryu

Far off Dragon

• Active Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 16:17

Kobo is always surprising me. I'm always expecting him to go 3-12 or 2-13. So much so that at the end of the basho, when he's turned his typical 8-7 or 7-8, I always think to myself: "How did he do that?"

It's probably because he's so bland and unspectacular. He clearly does possess some talent, otherwise he wouldn't be able to maintain his position in upper Juryo. But he hides that talent well with his bland style.

The only thing spectacular about him is his consistency. Hovering in upper Juryo (with occasional ventures into Makuuchi) for what seems like forever now.
"Gee, Brain, what are we going to do tonight?"

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky: Try to take over the WORLD!"

#6 Yubiquitoyama

Yubiquitoyama

Yubish

• Archived Members
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 16:23

Kobo is always surprising me. I'm always expecting him to go 3-12 or 2-13. So much so that at the end of the basho, when he's turned his typical 8-7 or 7-8, I always think to myself: "How did he do that?"

It's probably because he's so bland and unspectacular. He clearly does possess some talent, otherwise he wouldn't be able to maintain his position in upper Juryo. But he hides that talent well with his bland style.

The only thing spectacular about him is his consistency. Hovering in upper Juryo (with occasional ventures into Makuuchi) for what seems like forever now.

One thing that has struck me is that some of the rikishi who stay on forever have that kind of dullness surrounding them, and makes for that "how did he do that"-feeling. Daizen managed for years to stay on at a rather high level with sumo that simply amazed me that it could be enough, and Kotokanyu, who along with Kotonowaka really embodies the agelessness of Sadogatake-rikishi, also has a sumo and a build that reasonably CAN'T be enough at Juryo/top-Makushita level. It just is.

What I am trying to say is: Maybe Kobo, who actually already is 31, will remain on that Juryo/Maegashira-level for years. He doesn't seem to have a sumo that makes for injuries (at least not as far as I can see), and maybe he has that kind of sumo (as Daizen and Kotokanyu and probably others too), that is of a kind that hardly deteriorates at all with the years...

Ah well. Time will tell. It would not surprise me if Kobo will remain a non-entity in the sumo world for a long long time. (Feeling guilty...)

Edited by Yubiquitoyama, 17 April 2004 - 16:27.

Start a support group for pessimists? Nah, that would never work...

#7 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 20:36

Kobo. In the wall you can see matawari instructions amongst others :-D

Posted Image

Kobo at Soken:

Posted Image

Kobo caricature:

Posted Image

Kobo weighed 3700g at birth and enjoyed meal times very much in his youth. He laughs when speaking about overeating grandmom's cookings. He was very talkative already as a toddler. Communicates a lot and has a habit of cracking a joke or two. I wonder if Hakuho if fluent in Japanese jokes already.

Fan-site dedicated to Kobo:

http://groups.msn.co...?pgmarket=ja-jp

Miyagino-beya's website:

http://ip.tosp.co.jp/i.asp?i=sumoumiya

he still manages to get the wins and not really when people don't think he will, because people don't really think about Kobo AT ALL

That really sums up the core well (Feeling guilty...)
Kobo is an unknown quality. For a rikishi with no visible strengths and quite small and modest sumobody, he is miraculously good.

As for his stability. He has had a remarkably steady year.

Haru 2003: 7-8 at J2e
Natsu 2003: 7-8 at J3w
Nagoya 2003: 7-8 at J4w
Aki 2003: 8-7 at J5w
Kyushu 2003: 8-7 at J3w
Hatsu 2004: 7-8 at J1w
Haru 2004: 9-6 at J3e

Now that is what can be called steady performances!

His most difficult foe seemed to be Aogiyama whom he was only able to beat at Aogi's last basho. Before that he lost 10 times in a row to Aogi.

He also had 0-9 against Oginishiki before getting 2 wins as gift (fusensho) against him.

On the other end of the spectrum he has done amazingly well against hapless Tochinohana whom he has 11-3 edge in face to face encounters.

In Kyushu 2000 he beat a certain young Mongolian talent in their only match. So 1-0 against Shoryu.

He was able to underline Kasugao's inability to do sumo by dominating him 4 times before Kasu finally toppled him with uchigake in Haru. He also has good 2-0 records against other light weight rikishi Aminishiki and Kakizoe and he beat Iwakiyama twice with uwatenage in juryo. Buyuzan is too strong pusher for him as he is 0-5 against him.

That susoharai was against Wakakosho and not Wakanoyama.

What I am trying to say is: Maybe Kobo, who actually already is 31, will remain on that Juryo/Maegashira-level for years. He doesn't seem to have a sumo that makes for injuries (at least not as far as I can see), and maybe he has that kind of sumo (as Daizen and Kotokanyu and probably others too), that is of a kind that hardly deteriorates at all with the years...

I agree. He may have the tools to be ageless. Nothing in his sumo is especially youthful as it is calm and composed. Why wouldn't he be able to carry on for years. That tendency to muscle tears may become an obstacle as years bundle up. He is only 30 now though since he turns 31 in August :-)
The Core of Sumou is a very good thing always no matter if sumou is rotten or not.

#8 ilovesumo

ilovesumo

才走る?нет!

• Active Members
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 22:30

I don't hate him,I don't love him....he is one of the "faceless" guys for me (I mean he is not special for me) like Wakanoyama, Chiyotenzan and so on.
I don't know his personality-that's my problem.

But I like Hakuho very much...A good Beya (Feeling guilty...)

Edited by ilovesumo, 17 April 2004 - 22:31.

"Live your Dreams, don't dream your life" (John Gallery)

#9 Kashunowaka

Kashunowaka

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 23:15

Kobo at Soken:

Posted Image

This is typical: I first notice that there are three rikishi in the picture, thinking "Which one is Kobo?" I then immediately recognize Jumonji and (gasp!) Masutsuyoshi. So by method of elimination, the middle one must be Kobo. (Feeling guilty...)

#10 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,345 posts

Posted 18 April 2004 - 02:19

This is typical: I first notice that there are three rikishi in the picture, thinking "Which one is Kobo?" I then immediately recognize Jumonji and (gasp!) Masutsuyoshi. So by method of elimination, the middle one must be Kobo. :-D

I must be weird, I actually recognized him first in that image. (Feeling guilty...)

As for my own thoughts on Kobo...I've been trying to like him for a while now, I really have. I like rooting for underdogs and underappreciated rikishi (go Juzan!), particularly if they're smaller guys like Kobo. But, his sometimes excessive use of henka has turned me off a bit...the high (low?) point was in Hatsu this year where, if memory serves, he managed to henka on four out of five days near the start of the basho and had a couple more later on. I'm not an obsessive henka hater, but that was just a wee bit too much for my tastes, even for Juryo.

Still, I've got to give him credit for sticking around at the level he's at...he could just as well be a slightly bigger version of Furuichi, bouncing around in Makushita, but he's way better being in upper Juryo, which is pretty impressive for somebody of his build and age. And much like Zentoryu, I really expect him to lose about 12 bouts each basho, but he still manages kachi-koshi frequently, so there's clearly something to his sumo (besides the henkas). Should be interesting to watch him in Natsu when he'll (probably) be back in Makuuchi again.

Edited by Asashosakari, 18 April 2004 - 02:19.

#11 Tenkashoryu

Tenkashoryu

Makushita

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 19:38

I heard Kobo and Hakuho was told right after the last basho (sometime like 3 days after) that they gonna be promoted to makuuchi. I know that official announcement is gonna be in April 26th. So is this possible to get known or to be told in advance? (Laughing...)
Mongolia - The vast expanses of the steppes, the absolute magnitude, beauty and wonder.....

#12 Zentoryu

Zentoryu

Far off Dragon

• Active Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 22:51

I heard Kobo and Hakuho was told right after the last basho (sometime like 3 days after) that they gonna be promoted to makuuchi. I know that official announcement is gonna be in April 26th. So is this possible to get known or to be told in advance? (Laughing...)

As far as I know only new Juryo promotees (who need to get a kesho mawashi ready) and any new Ozeki or Yokozuna find out about their promotions ahead of time. The rest of the rikishi (and the rest of the world) have to wait for the official banzuke release to find out their new ranks.

You may be thinking of Kotooshu and Hagiwara, who were told of their promotions to Juryo three days after the basho ended.
"Gee, Brain, what are we going to do tonight?"

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky: Try to take over the WORLD!"

#13 sekihiryu

sekihiryu

Mongolian Javelin Thrower

• Active Members
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 01:11

Posted Image

Yorikiri 10

Hatakikomi 8

Okuridashi 5

Tsukiotoshi 4

Uwatenage 4

No Contest 2

Shitatenage 2

Sukuinage 2

Yoritaoshi 2

other techniques used Hikiotoshi, Kainahineri, Katasukashi, Kotenage, Oshitaoshi, Shitatehineri, Susoharai

quite a wide array of techniques used by Kobo there, good to see.
I have a scan from the 2001 Haru Basho program. It has Kobo with his old kesho which had a rocket on it, quite a cool design. I will email to Rijicho to hopefully put up on the site.
Private Pyle, if there is one thing in this world that I hate, it is a loose mawashi! You know that don't you?
Full Metal Jacket

#14 Xris

Xris

Makushita

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 11:32

I heard Kobo and Hakuho was told right after the last basho (sometime like 3 days after) that they gonna be promoted to makuuchi. I know that official announcement is gonna be in April 26th. So is this possible to get known or to be told in advance? :-D

It seems me to me that the interviews of Hakuhou showed that he was pretty sure to be in makuushi in May. As this was quite a high jump in the banzuke, I think he had some information from officials, even if it's not "officially official".

#15 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

• Active Members
  • 16,345 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 13:05

It seems me to me that the interviews of Hakuhou showed that he was pretty sure to be in makuushi in May. As this was quite a high jump in the banzuke, I think he had some information from officials, even if it's not "officially official".

I don't know...it's usually not really that difficult to predict the promotions/demotions, and this time especially there just aren't very many prospective promotees in upper Juryo, so Hakuho is in luck. I'm sure the Oyakata and other people in Miyagino-beya are able to make the same observations and draw the same conclusions that (probably) most GTB players have made about Hakuho's promotion chances. This kind of thing just doesn't need official confirmation in most cases.

Edited by Asashosakari, 23 April 2004 - 13:06.

#16 Kashunowaka

Kashunowaka

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 13:31

I don't know...it's usually not really that difficult to predict the promotions/demotions, and this time especially there just aren't very many prospective promotees in upper Juryo, so Hakuho is in luck. I'm sure the Oyakata and other people in Miyagino-beya are able to make the same observations and draw the same conclusions that (probably) most GTB players have made about Hakuho's promotion chances. This kind of thing just doesn't need official confirmation in most cases.

It is not quite so easy to predict who will be heyagashira in Miyagino-beya after the banzuke is published: Kobo or Hakuho?

#17 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

• Active Members
  • 16,345 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 13:53

It is not quite so easy to predict who will be heyagashira in Miyagino-beya after the banzuke is published: Kobo or Hakuho?

Good question...just checked my own GTB guess (still not sent in, hmm), and I have Kobo at M16w and Hakuho at M17e. But these two and Takanowaka are really pretty much equal in banzuke positions, so it might as well fall differently...

I assume you have Hakuho at M16w and Kobo behind him? Or Takanowaka behind both? :-D

Edited by Asashosakari, 23 April 2004 - 13:53.

#18 Kashunowaka

Kashunowaka

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 23 April 2004 - 19:51

I assume you have Hakuho at M16w and Kobo behind him?

Yes. So it's probably wise to put Kobo above Hakuho. :-D

#19 Rijicho

Rijicho

Personnel

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 April 2004 - 09:06

I have a scan from the 2001 Haru Basho program. It has Kobo with his old kesho which had a rocket on it, quite a cool design.

This is the picture:

Posted Image

Unpinned and moved to Featured rikishi subforum.

#20 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 14:39

Update 19.3.2006

Kobo was at 136kg before Hatsu 2006. In 2005 he spent the whole year between J5 and J10 but had five make-koshi and only one kachi-koshi. 32 year old Kobo fell down to J13 due to 6-9 make-koshi in Hatsu basho but is now at 5-3 after day 8 in the ongoing Haru basho.

February 9th Kintamayama reported:

Miyagino-beya was very cheerful with the birth of Juryo Koubo's first son two days ago, and the mood at keiko was in accordance. " Man, he looks just like me.. Coool..", mused Koubo. "That's good. I want one too.. ", answered Hakuhou enviously.

#21 Susanoo

Susanoo

Maegashira

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 16:06

Kobo does not have fumikomi of one step in the case of tachiai, and collides with an opponent with his arms folded, and turning the side and leaping up for a while.
It is quite strange taichiai.
Costarring of the tachiai which must be original with him existed once.
His opponent at that time was either Shunketsu or Wakatoba.
Both had leaped up sideways, and the shoulder was collided each other, and both were rebounded back.
The posture is not applied to the model of sumo but is uniquely applied to Oshikuramanjyu which is an antiquity play of Japanese child.
I will not forget the comical strangeness with his grim look.

In the previous basho, he differed something from the usual state for a while with his back to the wall.
He adhering to hanmi even by having released held uwate befoe the basho, but was conscious of normal yorikiri in the basho.
He will show a usual figure in the next basho, since he can feel relieve at last by it.
If henka at the time of tachiai which he certainly performs several times in 1basho will be set aside , his greatest feature will be the sumo only depending on left sashide(or shitate).
He concentrates on holding the position of hanmi, after inserting the left arm.
He does not receive an opponent's pressure from the front by it.
When he had moreover held left shitate, he has held the predominancy more than equal also to the opponent who exceeds him by power even if.
This is his Juubun(the best position) surely.
But his left shitate which is his good point is not necessarily especially strong so that it may be common in rikishi who likes hanmi.
The position of hanmi are the tactics for making an opponent inconvenient.
Although he is similarly accompanied by inconvenience by it, it makes it possible to fully compensate the difference of capability with an opponent.
It is in a state like Kataeri in judo, and the act which holds only one collar, and controls an opponent is a foul.
Although hanmi naturally is not a foul in sumo, since it cannot make rikishi demonstrate physical strength completely, it is the tactics which cannot be proud of for rikishi who purports intense keiko.

The feature promoted him to makunouchi several times anyway.
However, the opportunity only proved that lack of tachiai was a critical defect for him.
Although it became the example which depended for the promotion to makunouchi on the lowness of the capability level of surrounding rikishi as a result, he should not be blamed about it.
To be sure, sumo in juryo before his promotion was forcible.
I do not judge it only with the frequency of his specialty, shitatenage or sukuinage.
I think that Yori difficult for him is more suitable than Nage which is not necessarily strong as a judgment material.
Especially when only left shitate is held with hikitsuke strongly and he performs yorikiri sideways, I judge that he is in the most sufficient condition.
If the pressure by hazu-oshi with a right arm or ottsuke is added to the yorikiri sideways, Waridashi which is rare special kimarite will be completed.
However, since his right arm can assist only minor movement though regrettable, completion of the skill is impossible.
Although my expression was too sarcastic, I think that such inconvenience is his individuality and charming feature.

Now, repeated defeat in the left hanmi form as his jubun shows a decline by his aging notably.
However, he depends only on experience and intuition and is still maintaining the status of sekitori with sufficient stability on comparison with the other veteran rikishi who holds big injuries.
Moreover, I recalled the past and have noticed that his position which is under makunouchi above makushita does not have a difference between his heyday in the past and now when he declined.
In the past, many rikishi experienced irregular sumo from him, and went away to makunouchi.
Although I appreciate him that he is still continuing used as a steppingstone for many rikishi, I observe a little regrettable change in his attitude.
I felt that his experience of makunouchi made him lose the volition for promotion, and his aging is making himlose the regret for defeat further recently.
He sometimes has an eerie smile on his face on a dohyo, when he is defeated without the ability performing no resistance,or when he is defeated since his body did not follow his will.
Many young rikishi often looks sullen because the regret of defeat.
There is an example in which, resignation, Satori, satisfaction, and self-mocking appear in expression with aging rarely.
For Kobo, this imagination filled at such a prejudice will be very troublesome, and will be unwilling.
Moreover, Ktoryu and Kyokushuzan are the same types as Kobo.
Furthermore, I who find out such appearance and have an eerie smile on my face alone in front of TV will also be the same type.
Is how to have the interest in rikishi like this with a bad style allowed? (Cloverleaf...)

#22 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 20:43

Thanks Susanoo for another interesting analysis!

If henka at the time of tachiai which he certainly performs several times in 1basho will be set aside , his greatest feature will be the sumo only depending on left sashide(or shitate).
He concentrates on holding the position of hanmi, after inserting the left arm.
He does not receive an opponent's pressure from the front by it.
When he had moreover held left shitate, he has held the predominancy more than equal also to the opponent who exceeds him by power even if.
This is his Juubun(the best position) surely.

This sideways left hand inside is surely the most Kobo-like style there is. He seems to feel very much at ease whenever he has that left hand inside even when physiologically thinking the position often looks less efficient. Surely it also blocks his opponent's sumo a bit but a strong right hand outside grip is often well within reach for his foes. Yet he does that sideways yori and wins throwing duels and also put up a good fight against Baruto from that position in Haru 2006 where Baruto had good right hand outside grip and ecclipsed the whole Kobo under his shadow by getting close and mountaneous.

#23 sekihiryu

sekihiryu

Mongolian Javelin Thrower

• Active Members
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:52

Posted Image

here goes a much better scan of Kobos Rocket Kesho mawashi.

The main reason I delved into this dusty old thread was to mention that Mr Consistency - Kobo is now sitting on 42 Basho as a Juryo Rikishi.
That ties him for 7th place. next basho he will be on his lonesome with 43 and the sole share of 7th place of all Juryo basho appearances.

1. Hachiya 55
2. Oshio 50
3. Tochiisami 49
4. Daio 48
5. Hakuryu 47
6. Asahisato 45

are who are ahead of him. I am curious to see how a far he can go up that list.
Private Pyle, if there is one thing in this world that I hate, it is a loose mawashi! You know that don't you?
Full Metal Jacket

#24 Jakusotsu

Jakusotsu

North Pole Ichimon

• Moderators
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:47

The main reason I delved into this dusty old thread was to mention that Mr Consistency - Kobo is now sitting on 42 Basho as a Juryo Rikishi.
That ties him for 7th place. next basho he will be on his lonesome with 43 and the sole share of 7th place of all Juryo basho appearances.

1. Hachiya 55
2. Oshio 50
3. Tochiisami 49
4. Daio 48
5. Hakuryu 47
6. Asahisato 45

are who are ahead of him. I am curious to see how a far he can go up that list.

Have to admit that these six names are complete strangers to me. Fine company Kobo has gotten himself into - suits him well. (First prize...)
"I don't believe anyone has the right not to be offended by something." - ryafuji

#25 aderechelsea

aderechelsea

Chelsea above all ....

• Regular Members
  • 5,424 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 16:18

isn't Oshio the guy that holds the record with the most Makuuchi promotions ? Somewhere around 12-13-14 .... (Holiday feeling...)

My "Virtual Heya" (Nagoya 2014): Kyokushuho 6-9, Tosayutaka 11-4, Shohozan 4-11, Tokushoryu 4-11, Toyonoshima 10-5, Ishiura 5-2

Virtual Oyakata: Musashigawa Mitsuhide (Yokozuna Musashimaru)

Adopted rikishi: Sd95e Hokutoki 3-4  .... Sd88w Kaiho 4-3 

Proud passenger of the "future Yokozuna Kyokushuho" bandwagon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users