Photo

Splitting the Sumo Games Forum

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Sumo Games Forum management (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the games forum be split

1. Leave it as it is, I don't care that game entries are in this forum. (21 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. Create a forum where only Sumo Forum games entries are accepted. (7 votes [23.33%])

Percentage of vote: 23.33%

3. Create a forum for each Sumo Forum game that accepts entries only in the forum and not in a seperate application or by email. (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Kofuji

Kofuji

Inveterate sumo games programmer and SFI Oyakata

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 05:18

I was wondering if it would be possible to create sub forums for the various sumo games that have their entries accepted only in the forum? I'm thinking of Banzuke Surfing, 21 and Guess Kisenosato's Aite. It would be nice to be able to know that if there was activity in the sumo games forum it wasn't just someone making their game entries.
Visit the Sumo games portal for links to all your favourite online sumo games! Sumo Reference Adoptees and additional information
"We apologise for the inconvenience", God's Final Message to His Creation, written in letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains, Sevorbeupstry, on planet Preliumtarn, Galactic Sector QQ7 Active J Gamma.

#2 Itachi

Itachi

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:07

I was wondering if it would be possible to create sub forums for the various sumo games that have their entries accepted only in the forum? I'm thinking of Banzuke Surfing, 21 and Guess Kisenosato's Aite. It would be nice to be able to know that if there was activity in the sumo games forum it wasn't just someone making their game entries.

Another possibility would be to have separate threads for game entries and other posts related to the game for each game that runs this way.

For example, there could be one thread for all 5 Banzuke surfing rounds where results, announcements, and discussions take place while the entries would go to another thread (or perhaps one other thread for each wave if it makes things easier for Randomitsuki).

This would remove the need for altering the structure of the forum. The gamemasters would just need to open an auxilliary thread for each of their games to accept entries.

#3 Orion

Orion

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:50

Personally I am happy with the setup as it is. I have no interest in sumo games and when I see that title I simply scroll past until I get to something that is about sumo. I would prefer not to have subdivisions if they will simply make more 'Sumo games' titles.

Orion

#4 sekihiryu

sekihiryu

Mongolian Javelin Thrower

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 12:52

actually I think that's a great idea- mainly the sub forum for game entries. Actually I wish the "view new posts" feature would have the ability to ignore certain threads - GKA for one. I would like to weed out and unclutter my forum interface.
Private Pyle, if there is one thing in this world that I hate, it is a loose mawashi! You know that don't you?
Full Metal Jacket

#5 Fukurou

Fukurou

Ozeki

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,177 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 14:55

For example, there could be one thread for all 5 Banzuke surfing rounds where results, announcements, and discussions take place while the entries would go to another thread (or perhaps one other thread for each wave if it makes things easier for Randomitsuki).

This would remove the need for altering the structure of the forum. The gamemasters would just need to open an auxilliary thread for each of their games to accept entries.

If I understand you correctly, Banzuke Surfing is a bad example. You have to have some way to separate the individual waves for entries - each wave is a game itself, after all. Trying to put all entries for all waves in one thread would quickly get unwieldy and unmanagable IMO.

OTOH, a subforum of the Games section for BSurf would likely still require individual threads for each wave's entries (unless someone wanted to go the sub-subforum route for each wave which, IMO, is ridiculous), but at least all the traffic for BSurf would be out of the general Games section.

Personally, things don't bother me one bit the way they are. I can see, though, that a subforum of the Games section for each forum-entry game would probably make finding info and general moderator housekeeping a little easier in the long run. Or have I misunderstood what Kofuji is proposing and it's actually one subforum to be used by all forum-entry games? Still, as I just said, things don't bother me the way they are.

Edited by Fukurou, 14 March 2009 - 15:01.

Posted Image
Fukurou

"Look! I have one job... it's stupid, but I'm gonna do it! Okay?"
-- Gwen DeMarco

#6 Kofuji

Kofuji

Inveterate sumo games programmer and SFI Oyakata

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 15:17

I'd be happy with a single "Sumo Forum Games Entry" forum with threads for each to get the entries out of the current Sumo Games forum, but I think the best solution is a forum for each game that takes entries on SumoForum.net. i.e. a forum for Banzuke Surfing that could have the multiple wave threads, a forum for Guess Kisenasato's Aite, a forum for Guess the Kotimitsuki, a forum for 21 and I think that enumerates the current games. It seems to me that the German forum handles things this way with forums for Tipspeil and Teamspiel and the old one for Maegashira Game.
Visit the Sumo games portal for links to all your favourite online sumo games! Sumo Reference Adoptees and additional information
"We apologise for the inconvenience", God's Final Message to His Creation, written in letters of fire on the side of the Quentulus Quazgar Mountains, Sevorbeupstry, on planet Preliumtarn, Galactic Sector QQ7 Active J Gamma.

#7 Asojima

Asojima

Ancient Observer

• Active Members
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 16:35

I enter the forum using the "View New Posts" option, and browse through the list for those items which might interest (or agitate) me. It is relatively simple to skip those game entries that I am not interested in. I suspect most of us do the same thing. Adding several new forums might impact the number of threads that will have to be sorted through, especially if we end up with game entry and game discussion threads for the same games. I think the current setup meets the needs of the widest swath of users. I suspect that, if we add new subforums, we will tend to get multiple thread entries for some of the games where we are living with only one thread now. This would add more clutter to the "View New Posts" display.

I was taught to respect my elders, but it is getting hard to find one. 

Adoptee: Hitachigo (Ms29w), 29 yrs; 148.8kg/183cm, 11th year, High: Ms15w ---- Kyushu ( 0 - 0 )
Adoptee: Homarefuji (M12w), 29 yrs; 149.2kg/179cm, 7th year, High: M12w   ----- Kyushu ( 0 - 0 )

#8 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,605 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 17:11

I vaguely recall this being a repeat discussion, but damned if I can find the old one... Anyway, I'm of two minds about this: I don't particularly care to see separate archives for forum games (which is what making a separate subforum for them would end up being - worst of all one subforum for each game), but I'm also somewhat annoyed by the same thing as Kofuji, namely that those of us who browse from the main page are constantly reminded that there are "new posts" in the game forum during the two pre-basho weeks, but 90% of the time it's simply somebody adding their pick for GTK etc.

The cleanest solution - unfortunately also the one requiring the most moderating effort - would probably be to have a temporary "game entries" section where threads for GTK, 21 and Banzuke Surfing could be created pre-basho, and then be moved to the main game section once the basho has started so there don't need to be separate threads for discussion and results. That doesn't quite deal with the Kisenosato Aite game as it's daily, but with current volume levels it might also be feasible to treat it that way - once the basho has started its half-dozen or so daily posts at least wouldn't swamp the rest of the games conversation anymore, the way it does pre-basho. (And if it's going to be automated soon that issue will go away, anyway.)

Edited by Asashosakari, 14 March 2009 - 17:14.

#9 Asojima

Asojima

Ancient Observer

• Active Members
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 17:37

If we add separate subforums for each game, I envisage cryptic thread titles under the Game XYZ forum of "The Server", The Banzuke", The Haru Entries", "The Results", "Feedback", etc. where it would be necessary to further check which forum the thread belongs to for a clue to its contents. At least now, the thread title itself is usually enough to give a clue to its content/relevence.

Edited by Asojima, 14 March 2009 - 17:43.

Adoptee: Hitachigo (Ms29w), 29 yrs; 148.8kg/183cm, 11th year, High: Ms15w ---- Kyushu ( 0 - 0 )
Adoptee: Homarefuji (M12w), 29 yrs; 149.2kg/179cm, 7th year, High: M12w   ----- Kyushu ( 0 - 0 )

#10 Asojima

Asojima

Ancient Observer

• Active Members
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 19:07

Another thought. Rather than establishing a separate Game Entry subforum. why not encourage the game administrators to set up one thread subtitled "Entries Only" and a separate one subtitled "Comments/Questions"? This could be done in the current configuration, and would flag those threads which could be skipped/ignored during pre-basho period.

Edited by Asojima, 14 March 2009 - 19:20.

#11 Asashosakari

Asashosakari

Sumo is a very good thing. Though better with affordable video.

• Active Members
  • 16,605 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 19:13

Another thought. Rather than establishing a separate Game Entry subforum. why not encourage the game administrators to set up one thread subtitled "Entries Only" and a separate one subtitled "Comments/Questions". This could be done in the current configuration, and would flag those threads which could be skipped/ignored during pre-basho period.

That doesn't address the problem that Kofuji and I were talking about. It's not that "uninteresting" threads are highlighted, it's about the whole section:

Posted Image

Is something worth reading there right now, or just some new Surf entries? This time the answer happened to be "yes, there is also a regular thread that's been posted to", but most of the time it's just game entries. But you never know for sure without clicking into the section, which does get a bit annoying.

Edited by Asashosakari, 14 March 2009 - 19:15.

#12 Asojima

Asojima

Ancient Observer

• Active Members
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 19:28

It's not that "uninteresting" threads are highlighted, it's about the whole section:

Understand now. In that case, I would support a Game Entries subforum.

#13 Sashohitowa

Sashohitowa

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 21:55

;-)
I was about to say "I second Asojima's position", just that in the last post it has changed..

Well, so I support Asojima's previous position - if separate subforum is added for the games entries, it might increase the numbers of threads and the "quality" of their naming. Which will impact those who browse via the "View new posts" link.

差諸曳常

Favorites: Kotooshu, Asasekiryu, Tochiozan, Yoshikaze, Aoiyama, Myogiryu
Great respect to Former Ozeki Chiyotaikai!

"I didn't do a henka. That wasn't a henka, it only looked like one."
Kyokutenho, Day 4, Haru Basho 2007

#14 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,994 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 22:12

Another thought. Rather than establishing a separate Game Entry subforum. why not encourage the game administrators to set up one thread subtitled "Entries Only" and a separate one subtitled "Comments/Questions"?

OR, why not encourage the game administrators to set up SITES for their games? It is not that complicated. If I can do it, ANYBODY can.. Then, they can advertise their games here, and we'll go to a site where we can have sex in a nice clean house instead of on the street where everyone can see.
I think an entry form for these games and a nice cozy home would be quite nice. Additionally, we have some game setting upping geniuses who are also nice here who can help the administrators set it up, hint hint..

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#15 Asojima

Asojima

Ancient Observer

• Active Members
  • 4,125 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 22:43

I think 21 entries is the highest we have had for the 21 game, and they tend to come in in about 3 or 4 batches, so its impact is relatively low on the SF. Besides, Rolf and I have fun running it ourselves, Kinta's hints notwithstanding.

#16 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,994 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 23:03

I think 21 entries is the highest we have had for the 21 game, and they tend to come in in about 3 or 4 batches, so its impact is relatively low on the SF. Besides, Rolf and I have fun running it ourselves, Kinta's hints notwithstanding.

The hint was for the game site setter uppers, not for those that run the games, who don't need my hints...

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#17 Exil

Exil

il·le·git·i·mate

• Super Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 17:52

I am diametrically opposed to adding subforums, mainly due to reasons of usability, and the result of the poll doesn't seem to support the idea either. There is the option of creating a sub-subforum, but it doesn't solve the problem Asashosakari described. I think a combination of View new posts, Today's active topics and topic/forum subscriptions should be sufficient in following the interesting threads during the week before the basho that this problem exists. There also could be a "Game issues" thread for each basho, if people feel that something like that would be a good idea.
takarafuji.pngshibuya.pnghomasho.pngonosho.pngtowanoyama.png
(In association with Takarafuji, Inc.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users