25 replies to this topic

#1 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 23:58

For the first time since leaving the Kyokai in 1985, ex Yokozuna Wajima will be the commentator on NHK nakabi. The ex-Yokozuna was "discharged" from the sumo world after encountering "financial difficulties"and switched to puroresu. He then managed some American football players and "tarentos". It is extremely rare for a "banished" rikishi to do the commentary on NHK. "This year will mark the 100th anniversary of the Kokugikan (with all its locations..). Wajima was known as the "Star of Kuramae (the former KKan) so we invited him", explained an NHK person.
It will be Wajima's first visit to the KKan since leaving, so expect an emotional affair, if you're lucky enough to see the broadcast.

Edited by Kintamayama, 17 January 2009 - 23:59.

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#2 Washuyama

Washuyama

Sekiwake

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 00:17

I'm looking VERY forward to seeing him. He was awesome. A great nemisis for the young Kitanoumi. We need to remember, he retired with 12 yusho, which doesn't seem like many now, but IIRC, it was the 4th or 5th most ever when he retired. The current yokozuna pair remind me alot of the Wajima-Kitanoumi rivalry.

Edited by Washuyama, 18 January 2009 - 00:17.

#3 Jonosuke

Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 00:38

Wajima is not exactly totally out of sumo as he is Team Cuba's sumo director.

Since he has been pm quite a few (non NHK) TV shows, he should be quite comfortable to be there and it should be a fun broadcast.

Edited by Jonosuke, 18 January 2009 - 00:39.

< Heart Technique Physique >
More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours that keep us so tightly bound
You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies

#4 Jonosuke

Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 01:08

I also note that another guest they are having today is Demon Kogure so it should be pretty hectic show..

More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours that keep us so tightly bound

#5 Washuyama

Washuyama

Sekiwake

• Active Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:08

he retired with 12 yusho

14 (A yokozuna...)

Sorry, I was working from memory... Getting old....

#6 Takamizakura

Takamizakura

Makushita

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:21

Would someone be able to record today's broadcast?

#7 Sasanishiki

Sasanishiki

Yokozuna

• Moderators
  • 2,737 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 03:13

Wajima is not exactly totally out of sumo as he is Team Cuba's sumo director.

I'm not sure that he is still appointed by them. I know there was a newspaper report of this when it happened (five years ago or more, perhaps?) but I think the only time a Cuban athlete has been seen of late was at the 2005 World Games in Duisburg, Germany.

#8 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:15

Wajima is now an actor, and acted in a movie directed by Demon Kogure, it seems..

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#9 Harry

Harry

Ozeki

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 13:54

Wajima is now an actor, and acted in a movie directed by Demon Kogure, it seems..

A plug then? Movie won't happen to be shown on NHK or distributed by an affiliate, eh?

#10 Washuyama

Washuyama

Sekiwake

• Active Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 14:20

I enjoyed watching him today, although I wis I could've understood their conversation, It was cool watching the old footage. I remember seeing a few of those bouts when they originally aired. The worst part for me was seeing how old he looked. (Being thrown tomatoes at...)

#11 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 14:33

As mentioned, it was his first visit to a honbasho since 1985. He was seen smiling and shaking hands with various Oyakata, although he didn't get to meet Hakuhou and Kitanoumi, who apparently are his friends. "I can see them any time..", he said. "I watch sumo on TV from time to time. I do know all the Yokozuna and Ozeki's names, but I had to study this last week in order to familiarize myself with the rest. I was nervous as if it was my hatsu-dohyo..", he added.

Wajima (61) and the Demon (probably younger):

Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Kintamayama, 18 January 2009 - 14:36.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#12 Washuyama

Washuyama

Sekiwake

• Active Members
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 14:55

Posted Image

This is the Wajima I remember!!

#13 kunroku

kunroku

Jonidan

• Inactive Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:48

Really, it was just pleasant to watch yesterday! Wajima's talks about his times were quite interesting, and Demon Kogure, the other guest who's devoted sumo and Wajima-fan, did great job to draw more of Wajima's talk; and thumbs up for NHK's choosing Iwasa, a living sumo-database for the broadcaster who prompted exact basho and year data almost instantly during their conversation.

Here are some pictures from NHK broadcasting:
Posted Image

Posted Image
from L to R: Iwasa(NHK broadcaster), Hiroshi Wajima(guest), Demon Kogure(guest)

Posted Image
Demon brought several Wajima-related collectibles from his own collection, including this autographed pamphlet of the retirement ceremony.
Demon: But how come you autographed on your face of all spaces!?

Posted Image
Right after viewing the footage from Wajima VS Kitanofuji bout, present Kitanofuji was introduced as well, who happened to be a radio commentator on the same day.(he looked so much casual than on a day before when he was commenting on TV!)
Wajima: (to Kitanofuji on TV monitor) Long time no see!

Edited by kunroku, 19 January 2009 - 01:50.

#14 Takamizakura

Takamizakura

Makushita

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:53

There was a mad scrum in front of the NHK booth at the start of the Makuuchi matches of the crowd getting photos of Wajima & Demon. Then Gold Hat man (who I like less and less the more I see of him) tries to push away those queueing to get a pic in front of the booth, then opens the booth's side door & asks if he can go in & get some air time with them (he was denied). Instead, he gets in front of the booth and starts waving wildly in front of it.

Feel free to pass on some choice phrases for me to shout at him. The most insulting thing I can think of from my limited vocabulary is "mottainai" (useless?), which I feel isn't "pow" enough.

Edited by Takamizakura, 19 January 2009 - 04:12.

#15 Orion

Orion

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:10

There was a mad scrum in front of the NHK booth at the start of the Makuuchi matches of the crowd getting photos of Wajima & Demon. Then Gold Hat man (who I like less and less the more I see of him) tries to push away those queueing to get a pic in front of the booth, then opens the booth's side door & asks if he can go in & get some air time with them (he was denied). Instead, he gets in front of the booth and starts waving wildly in front of it.

Feel free to pass on some choice phrases for me to shout at him. The most insulting thing I can think of from my limited vocabulary is "Mottainai," which I feel isn't rude enough.

"warunori" -- from "warui" = bad, and "nori" = climbing aboard; it's an accurate put-down for someone who overdoes things, doesn't know when to stop.

Orion

#16 Takamizakura

Takamizakura

Makushita

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:14

Spot on!

#17 kunroku

kunroku

Jonidan

• Inactive Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:30

Feel free to pass on some choice phrases for me to shout at him. The most insulting thing I can think of from my limited vocabulary is "mottainai" (useless?), which I feel isn't "pow" enough.

Hmm, "Kao ja nai yo, Jii-san!"(you're not worthy for it, old man!) maybe?
(as those media bothered us picking up Asashoryu's quipping "Kao ja nai" to Mainoumi just before this Hatsubasho.)
I myself want to shout to that shameless golden hat man "just get back to your own seat!" as I'm sure that he never purchase Masu-seat ticket, just keeps sneaking in Masu aisle!! :-D

BTW, "mottainai" rather means "still have use of"(implying to save the subject when it is to be thrown away), not "useless".

#18 Kotoviki

Kotoviki

琴美輝

• Active Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 13:06

No, he has never purchased more than a general admission package from what I've been told!

Stupid me I thought until about May this past year that he was rich and had a tamari seat most days.... till I found out the truth. I didn't like him before and that made me like him even less.

Many sit in the Tamari or Masu seats when they are empty and leave when the people come but he doesn't leave and people invite him to sit with them if the ushers kick him out. He often sits just behind the last row of Tamari without being asked to move where as if someone like myself tried that I would have to move...

His gold hat and his fan are annoying as hell! When I'm trying to watch something simple like the greetings on shonichi all I can see is his fan and his hat! :-D

He is too obnoxious for me! And he has even stopped me and asked me "do you want to take a picture with me?" I told him no for sure!

And yet people love him. On the 12th the people were lined up waiting to get his autograph!

#19 Linda R. Shadow

Linda R. Shadow

Mae-zumo

• Inactive Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 13:10

A plug then? Movie won't happen to be shown on NHK or distributed by an affiliate, eh?

That movie is コナ・ニシテ・フウ from "Yoshimoto Director's 100" project. It was shown a few times during 2008 on various events, and a copy of it seems to be available on WinMX network.

#20 Barang

Barang

Juryo

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 13:26

Posted Image

Can you clarify is this same gold hat guy?
ほんとですか?

#21 Kotoviki

Kotoviki

琴美輝

• Active Members
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 13:35

Indeed that is him!

#22 Mark Buckton

Mark Buckton

Yokozuna

• Archived Members
  • 4,410 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 13:55

Spot on!

feel free to add 'omae' to that in as rough a drawl as you can manage.

#23 Jonosuke

Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 18:00

and thumbs up for NHK's choosing Iwasa, a living sumo-database for the broadcaster who prompted exact basho and year data almost instantly during their conversation.

Iwasa looked so happy sitting next to the great yokozuna. I even enjoyed how he skimmed through the detail about Wajima leaving the Kyokai (Shaking head...)

As with all NHK announcers he is well educated but you won't find many joining NHK just because he loved Sumo so much so he could do Sumo broadcast, especially after graduating the Tokyo University.

#24 Orion

Orion

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 05:15

No, he has never purchased more than a general admission package from what I've been told

The tamari seats in the very last row have a square of ordinary flooring in every third space (though when the place is sold out I have seen extra cushions put in those spaces). Normally the space can be used for bags or shoes. Gold hat comes and sits in one of those spaces and then tries to find people willing to invite him into a front masu. It's very carefully calculated to get him on TV, since he only goes to the rear tamari. The people who keep the staircases and paths clear have tended to let him stay there in the past as he is not technically occupying a seat. But don't shout things at him if you are within bumping distance -- he behaves like a spoilt child if people ignore him or refuse to buy into his self-promotion.

Orion

#25 Takamizakura

Takamizakura

Makushita

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 20 January 2009 - 08:08

feel free to add 'omae' to that in as rough a drawl as you can manage.

Will that get me deported?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users