9 replies to this topic

#1 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,837 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 16:26

Today, like every Nakabi, was the shussei hirou, where the new deshi are shown to the public, donning kesho mawashis. One of them is Soukokurai, the rikshi from Inner mongolia (China, actually)that I mentioned about a month ago. He is joining Arashio beya(and not Araiso, as I mistakenly mentioned last time..). Arashio beya includes so far: One Oyakata, and one Deshi, Jonokuchi 30 Oomiyamoto. Now, it will be two deshi. The heya is struggling to make ends meet, obviously. Soukokurai wore a bright white mawashi and was greeted with warm applause at the Kkan. He brings a lot of hope to the 1 Oyakata 1 rikishi stable. "I'd like to become a Sekitori as quickly as possible and make my Oyakata happy!!,"he said.
"This is a renewed start for our Heya," said Arashio Oyakata.
The Oyakata went to inner mongolia in april, during the SARS scare, armed with a mask, to look for a fitting deshi. He traveled far and wide across the country, but to no avail. Finally, on his last night, someone knocked on his door. It was Soukokurai, who heard there was an Oyakata looking for talent, and decided to seek him out on his own.
It was very important for the Oyakata to recruit someone.The heya was founded in June of last year. He sent out invitations to 30 potential recruit, but only 3 were accepted. A year later, two of them left to go back to mama, leaving only 1. "Nothing good happened this year.." said Oyakata, not happy with himself Then, Oomiyamoto burned his hand during Haru. then he wore Western clothes under his kimono and went out to a shopping district, where he shed the kimono and walked around, which of course is a no-no. Last basho, Oyakata personally took him by car to degeiko. "He can't even boil an egg", said Oyakata, and made the chanko himself.. But Oomiyamoto has changed. He has become serious now-although only 70 kilos, he headbutts his aites with no fear. He is now 2-2. "I could have won today. My aim is Sandanme in one year", he said. now that they are two, Sanbangeiko is possible.. He will be changing his name to Aragyoushi, to signify his wish to do stronger keiko.
With all the large heyas doing well and being more attractive to young deshis, it is becoming increasingly difficult for Oyakatas of smaller heyas to do any recruiting. "It's really difficult now, but little by little , we'll grow and flourish!!", said the optimistic Oyakata

http://sports.yahoo....s_00000015.html

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#2 Yoavoshimaru

Yoavoshimaru

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 15 September 2003 - 17:44

Good luck to them, and thanks for the interesting story (Protesting...)

#3 furanohana

furanohana

Juryo

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 07:28

With all the large heyas doing well and being more attractive to young deshis, it is becoming increasingly difficult for Oyakatas of smaller heyas to do any recruiting.

Is it something really new ? I would have thought that recruiting in small heyas would always have been more difficult.

If this is a new tendancy, that sure is something to wonder about... I don't see sumo bringing as much excitement if the number of heys start declining... By the way, what is the tendancy in the numbre of heyas ? Growing or shrinking ?

Posted ImageFuranohana 仏乃花

Play TRIO! ................ "fight ! Then think, if you have the time..."

#4 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,837 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 08:51

Is it something really new ? I would have thought that recruiting in small heyas would always have been more difficult.

Probably always was the case, but in these times of recession and waning popularity of Sumo, it has gotten worse.

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#5 Ryunokaze

Ryunokaze

Makushita

• Banned†
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 10:09

It`s almost enough to make you cry,isn`t it?
Gambatte,gambatte,gambatte.

#6 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • 18,837 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 21:57

Soukokurai's photo:

Posted Image

Edited by Kintamayama, 16 September 2003 - 21:57.

post-62-1171731969.gif

#7 Tokimori

Tokimori

Takasago

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 22:03

(Shaking head...)

He looks small... and strange...

Well, everybody can't look like Takanohana, can they?
May Toki's reign never end...

#8 Yoavoshimaru

Yoavoshimaru

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 16 September 2003 - 23:18

And even Takanohana looked small when he was young, it's only natural... (Shaking head...)

#9 athelitextreme

athelitextreme

Makushita

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:35

I was reading about various Rikishi & I came across the attached picture. I'm aware that he's from Arashio-beya, but will someone please let me know if he's Hiroshi Yu? If so, will you please provide a brief biography or a link to it?

Thank you.

Attached Thumbnails

• Arashio~beya Rikishi.jpg

#10 athelitextreme

athelitextreme

Makushita

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:46

I found the answer!!

http://www.sumorefer...hi.aspx?r=11911