65 replies to this topic

#26 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 11 February 2008 - 19:43

- He looks indeed too fat for his strength. His shiko is not impressive either.
- He has surprisingly good tachi-ai posture. He holds his hips really low without showing any strain for the knees. Good flexibility under that mass ... this is encouraging.
- He showed patience after all the harite and just did his own sumo (i love this cliche).

in general .... i like what i've seen. There may be more about him than i thought .

Carries his weight well yes. It is said his weakness comes more apparent when he is attacked from the side. Definitely good hip strength and nice overall postures with all that weight. His shiko looked much better in one recent picture though.
The Core of Sumou is a very good thing always no matter if sumou is rotten or not.

#27 aderechelsea

aderechelsea

Chelsea above all ....

• Regular Members
  • 5,426 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:43

Carries his weight well yes. It is said his weakness comes more apparent when he is attacked from the side. Definitely good hip strength and nice overall postures with all that weight. His shiko looked much better in one recent picture though.

ill go a bit off-topic sir while i am asking you to give us in another topic (if you wish of course) small reports on various rikishi that made an impression on your while you were watching sumo from up close (i take it you were in Tokyo this basho ... right?).

You insight on lower division rikishi is very good and it would interest me much to hear some technical stuff you noticed about them.

off-topic end ... (Nodding yes...)

My "Virtual Heya" (Kyushu 2014): Kyokushuho 9-6, Tosayutaka 9-6, Shohozan 7-8, Tokushoryu 4-11, Toyonoshima 8-7, Ishiura 4-3

Virtual Oyakata: Musashigawa Mitsuhide (Yokozuna Musashimaru)

Adopted rikishi: Sd85w Kaiho 2-4 

Proud passenger of the "future Yokozuna Kyokushuho" bandwagon.

#28 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:06

ill go a bit off-topic sir while i am asking you to give us in another topic (if you wish of course) small reports on various rikishi that made an impression on your while you were watching sumo from up close (i take it you were in Tokyo this basho ... right?).

You insight on lower division rikishi is very good and it would interest me much to hear some technical stuff you noticed about them.

off-topic end ... :-)

I wasn't in Tokyo during basho so didn't see more makushita action than you did. In the future when I have the chance to see lower division stuff, I will report with passion. Did go to see Sakaigawa-beya's keiko before Hatsu basho but that was fleeting visit to Tokyo. Wrote my impressions about their lower division guys.
The Core of Sumou is a very good thing always no matter if sumou is rotten or not.

#29 aderechelsea

aderechelsea

Chelsea above all ....

• Regular Members
  • 5,426 posts

Posted 13 February 2008 - 09:59

I wasn't in Tokyo during basho so didn't see more makushita action than you did. In the future when I have the chance to see lower division stuff, I will report with passion. Did go to see Sakaigawa-beya's keiko before Hatsu basho but that was fleeting visit to Tokyo. Wrote my impressions about their lower division guys.

yeah ... i remember that report and i just assumed that you stayed there for the basho as well .... :-)

sorry ....

My "Virtual Heya" (Kyushu 2014): Kyokushuho 9-6, Tosayutaka 9-6, Shohozan 7-8, Tokushoryu 4-11, Toyonoshima 8-7, Ishiura 4-3

Virtual Oyakata: Musashigawa Mitsuhide (Yokozuna Musashimaru)

Adopted rikishi: Sd85w Kaiho 2-4 

Proud passenger of the "future Yokozuna Kyokushuho" bandwagon.

#30 Kakkerlek

Kakkerlek

Mae-zumo

• Inactive Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:51

5-2 for YMY in Haru 2008!
Still not enough for juryo I think (he's in makushita 6), but maybe a KK in natsu basho will do the trick. I didn't see any of his bouts but it seems one of his wins was by kimetaoshi or arm barring force down. Here's the official description:

kimetaoshi (arm barring force down) - The attacker will bar his opponent's arm or arms from the outside. He will than force the opponent down by throwing his weight into and on top of him. It is most often seen today after the opponent has a achieved a double inside grip.

I would have like to have seen that one.

#31 Susanoumi

Susanoumi

Jonokuchi

• Inactive Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 14:50

5-2 for YMY in Haru 2008!
Still not enough for juryo I think (he's in makushita 6), but maybe a KK in natsu basho will do the trick. I didn't see any of his bouts but it seems one of his wins was by kimetaoshi or arm barring force down. Here's the official description:

kimetaoshi (arm barring force down) - The attacker will bar his opponent's arm or arms from the outside. He will than force the opponent down by throwing his weight into and on top of him. It is most often seen today after the opponent has a achieved a double inside grip.

I would have like to have seen that one.

Hello,

I also think that Yamamotoyama has talent and so he should be able to reach Juryo after next tournament. Well, maybe Yamamotoyama will be the first really heavy rikishi since Musashimaru to became a Makuuchi-wrestler. I hope so.

Susanoumi

#32 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 16:18

In the current climate of suspiciousness, creativity and poise, is it really so that NOONE has any eye witness reports concerning Yamamotoyama's 2 losses in Haru basho? In his winning bouts he was totally overwhelming. It would be of utmost significance to hear how were his losses against Kotoyutaka and Mori. Please someone tell me and the rest of the world. This is far more important that foreign minister's 200 sms-messages to a regular exotic dancer woman.

Please accord and also please witness Yamamotoyama beating everyone in fast beer drinking. Hayanomi indeed. Be weller.

#33 Bealzbob

Bealzbob

Komusubi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 16:29

Thanks for that. I wonder why he simply couldn't stand still. He swayed constantly from side to side (and I doubt it was the alcohol). I was getting seasick just watching it (Sigh...) Maybe his legs need to alternate the load :-P
2010 Haru & 2011 Kyushu GTB winner :D

Favourites : O1e Baruto | M4e Homasho | M12w Tosayutaka

Adoptees : J3w Masunoyama, Ms1w Chiyootori, Ms5w Akiseyama

Honourable mention to : Kisenosato, Kyokutenho

#34 Washuyama

Washuyama

Sekiwake

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 21:38

I wonder why he simply couldn't stand still. He swayed constantly from side to side

I think he was doing the pee-pee dance... :-)

#35 Kotoviki

Kotoviki

琴美輝

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 22:01

I think he was doing the pee-pee dance... (Laughing...)

Thanks for that!!! I'm going to think about that all day long.. I LOVE It! :-) (Clapping wildly...) (Clapping wildly...)

#36 Gusoyama

Gusoyama

Ozeki

• Active Members
  • 2,126 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 19:13

I've seen a lot of heavy guys do that for some reason.

#37 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 03 June 2008 - 09:16

Update after Natsu 2008 basho.

YMY got a 4-3 at Ms2 but unfortunately due to bad banzuke luck, he wasn't promoted to juryo. In Natsu basho he looks powerful as always winning well and showing good footwork and strength in his losses too (in the 2 I saw, haven't seen the one against Yoshiazuma).

He started off with an aggressive attack against Aran pushing him around quite a bit but ended up victimized by Aran admittedly well honed pulling skill. Then he yanked Hokutokuni with a big kotenage using his belly as a leverage too (as was also pointed out by commentating oyakata). He caught Tosayutaka well and smothered him in kote hold despite yielding morozashi to Tosa. Mori is used to YMY as he has had plenty of bouts/training with him in amateur days so he knew what to do and moved around a lot. Still YMY defended well and had couple
of nice counter moves before solid maemitsu grip by Mori combined with YMY's upright stance made YMY a passenger. Mori had the plan to go for frontal mawashi grip and succeeded in it well. Still very good defense from YMY too and excellent tactics by Mori. I didn't see his bout against Yoshiazuma but he was gasping for air and leaning towards the hanamichi wall after Mori bout so maybe got banged up a bit. In any case he came back strongly by yoritaoshing Kotoyutaka and getting kachi koshi against wily Sagatsukasa in his first ever juryo bout.

YMY's mobility is MUCH better than many think. Also oyakata commentators were impressed by his footwork especially against Sagatsukasa. YMY's style is power sumo of course and one trait is getting high kotenage stance which is okay but somewhat worrying as it appears so often. He can throw strongly from the belt and naturally has heavy pushing. He has lately gone for more straight forward attacks with tsuppari and oshizumo. He seems a bit vulnerable to morozashi and needs to have better defense against that. He can prevail at this level even when letting foes get inside but can't let stronger foes do the same constantly. The weak point in sideways movement has improved which is promising sign. The remaining question is his endurance both physically and health-wise. He has tools, power and good training environment. In Nagoya basho he will be hit with big man's nightmare which is Nagoya heat and will sweat profusely.

Natsu 2008 YMY bouts:

vs Aran
vs Hokutokuni
vs Tosayutaka
vs Mori
vs Sagatsukasa

#38 Takamichinoku

Takamichinoku
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2008 - 23:02

Hello yeah Kainowaka is one of my friends I always liked Kainowaka........hes cool guy
I pray he win's next Basho.....Cannot wait to see him win.

A dream come true him leaving after match.......he looks at me from a distance..
And cannot help to hide from him in yell his name in a loud voice Kainowaka!!!!!!!! :-) (Yawning...)
I want him to bring him the Trophie shwahoos!!!!!!!!! (Yusho winner...)

#39 Jonosuke

Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 00:40

Hello yeah Kainowaka is one of my friends I always liked Kainowaka........hes cool guy

I often go all out off of tangent myself but this here thread is about Yamamotoyama and nothing personal but you may want to offer your insight on YMY if you can.

I'd urge all newcomers to post often and more but if you can and if it's possible, something closely resembling to the original poster's intent would be appreciated by all.

Well at least both guys are heavy and rather not attractive to look up from below the dohyo when they bend down but I don't find much else common other than they are in Makushita.

Edited by Jonosuke, 20 June 2008 - 00:43.

< Heart Technique Physique >
More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours that keep us so tightly bound
You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies

#40 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,147 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:06

Well at least both guys are heavy and rather not attractive to look up from below the dohyo when they bend down

:-) Damn, this is funny.. Coffee-spitting- on- keyboard funny..

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#41 Takamichinoku

Takamichinoku
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:00

YAMAMOTOYAMA
Yamamotoyama Been one of my favorite wrestlers everthough he's new
I pray he gets a wining streak to the top of Yokozuna which is hard work for a beginner
But things take time and times of the essence.
I aways liked him even when he first started out.............
I used to know alot of links about him when he entered now its like links are fading i've tryed googling his name on normous occassion's. And all i get are results of Green Yamamotoyama tea exspecially when I look for pictures of him. I would like to meet him in person one day.
And tell him how :-) how happy he makes me when he win's a match..........................
Well for now Yamaotoyama is in will awyas be my favorite until he or I die.

#42 Jonosuke

Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 02:19

Takamiichinoku, you know I don't know your background or what your faith is but you are definitely a child of the universe, no less than Iwakiyama or Hoshitango.

Yamamotoyama is a Tsukebito of Baruto and with both of them on the same platoform, they weigh over 410 kg so you may want to stay out of their way when you see them coming towards you as no doubt you have a right to be here.

< Heart Technique Physique >
More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours that keep us so tightly bound
You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies

#43 Kintamayama

Kintamayama

Shimpai-nai

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,147 posts

Posted 12 July 2008 - 22:53

Look what I found.. YMY in a beer drinking contest!!

Being introduced somewhere:

What do you get when you cross an insomniac, an agnostic and a dyslexic?

A guy who is up all night arguing with himself over whether or not there is a dog.

Download my sumo toolbar - http://dichne.ourtoolbar.com/
post-62-1171731969.gif

#44 Jakusotsu

Jakusotsu

North Pole Ichimon

• Moderators
  • 6,479 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 05:12

YMY in a beer drinking contest!!

If only they had proper mugs, they could do a real contest. (Singing drunk...)
"I don't believe anyone has the right not to be offended by something." - ryafuji

#45 Manekineko

Manekineko

diarrhea in the sky

• Moderators
  • 3,467 posts

Posted 13 July 2008 - 11:51

YMY in a beer drinking contest!!

If only they had proper mugs, they could do a real contest. (Singing drunk...)

Yeah, that's one easy way to impress Japanese (especially if you're a woman) - down that puny glass of beer in one go. :'-(
Without education, we are in a horrible and deadly danger of taking educated people seriously.

- Gilbert Keith Chesterton

#46 Kotoviki

Kotoviki

琴美輝

• Active Members
  • 2,198 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 14:37

Look what I found.. YMY in a beer drinking contest!!

I think it is cute that he's doing that contest with Tetsuya (Baruto's current tsukebito) who is less than 95kgs! I was laughing at Tetsuya on the jungyo tour because he couldn't keep the kids from storming Baruto. I said "you need a bigger tsukebito to control them! :-S" They were acting like crazy monkeys so I managed to calm them down and get them to actually line up and wait their turn and say thank you since many had not been doing so! Baruto was shocked & Tetsuya just looked at me.. "what's the secret?" I said "you are too small and you aren't an elementary school teacher!" (but he is a cutie! (Holiday feeling...) Together Baruto and Tetsuya look cute. Baruto is so huge and Testsuya is so small in comparison!

#47 ryafuji

ryafuji

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 22:37

He will be getting a proper shikona now he's a sekitori, won't he? "Yamamotoyama" doesn't really cut it in juryo.

#48 Jakusotsu

Jakusotsu

North Pole Ichimon

• Moderators
  • 6,479 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 06:49

He will be getting a proper shikona now he's a sekitori, won't he? "Yamamotoyama" doesn't really cut it in juryo.

And "Aran" does?
"I don't believe anyone has the right not to be offended by something." - ryafuji

#49 ryafuji

ryafuji

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 17:37

And "Aran" does?

Well at least that isn't just his surname with "yama" stuck on the end...

#50 Jakusotsu

Jakusotsu

North Pole Ichimon

• Moderators
  • 6,479 posts

Posted 29 July 2008 - 18:11

And "Aran" does?

Well at least that isn't just his surname with "yama" stuck on the end...

You do realize that it's actually even less, don't You?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users