#2 Jonosuke

Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 19:39

Here are some basics to start with:

Chiyotenzan Daihachiro (real name: Daihachiro Sumi)
Juryo West 10 (Kyushu Basho, 2004)
Kokonoe Beya
Born: February 6 1976
Height: 183.5 cm Weight: 140.5 kg
Dohyo debut: March 1991
Juryo debut: January 1997
Makuuchi debut: January 1999
Highest Rank: Komusubi
Favorite techniques: migi-yotsu, yori, uwate-nage
Sansho: Shukun(1), Kanto(2), Kinboshi- Waknohana(1), Musashimaru(2)
Yusho: Juryo (1)

Born premature (1,380g), he spent his first year and half in an incubator. He wanted to become a chef but when he was in Grade 8, he met Chiyonofuji and decided to join Ozumo.

He has an easy going personality and has been known never to get nervous or anxious on the dohyo. His sumo style is to start with his head low from tachiai and then take hidari(left)-uwate and go for a yori or throw.

At his Makuuchi-debut press conference, he declared he would get double-digit wins and a Sansho award and accomplished exactly what he said.

Chiyotenzan was the first rikishi in history to win a Sansho in his first three straight bashos since the Makuuchi debut.

Last Basho (September 2004) : 8 wins and 7 losses at Juryo West 11

< Heart Technique Physique >
More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours that keep us so tightly bound
You come to my eyes like a vision from the skies

#3 Zentoryu

Zentoryu

Far off Dragon

• Active Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 20:18

Chiyotenzan was the first rikishi in history to win a Sansho in his first three straight bashos since the Makuuchi debut.

And the first rikishi to teach us not to call every single fast rising newcomer the "next Yokozuna" or "next Ozeki". :-P

Edited by Zentoryu, 09 November 2004 - 20:19.

"Gee, Brain, what are we going to do tonight?"

"The same thing we do every night, Pinky: Try to take over the WORLD!"

#4 ilovesumo

ilovesumo

才走る?нет!

• Active Members
  • 3,136 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 20:55

Don't know why, but I don't like him...(not because of the scandal,just a feeling).
Would like to know more about the real person, would like to interview him :-P
"Live your Dreams, don't dream your life" (John Gallery)

#5 Azumashida

Azumashida

Pom Poko beya

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 22:24

Don't know why, but I don't like him...(not because of the scandal,just a feeling).

Is the scandal you are referring to connected to a bullying story from Kokonoe beya a few years ago? Can anybody describe that "scandal" - and how much of it was proven to be true - in more details? What I remember is that some deshi filed a complaint about it, but what has been established regarding the involvement of Chiyotenzan? And was there any sanction against him?
"It's not the destination, it's the journey"
Google search, February 23rd 2005, 11:59, 7140 matched documents (0,42 seconds)

#6 Kashunowaka

Kashunowaka

Ozeki

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,167 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 23:19

And the first rikishi to teach us not to call every single fast rising newcomer the "next Yokozuna" or "next Ozeki". (Sigh...)

You wish ... :-P (Punk rocker...)

#7 Ivan Sergeyevich

Ivan Sergeyevich

Sandanme

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 23:56

And the first rikishi to teach us not to call every single fast rising newcomer the "next Yokozuna" or "next Ozeki". (Sigh...)

But certainly not the last... :-P
Und dann hat er sie geküsst wo das Meer zu Ende ist
Ihre Lippen schwach und blass und seine Augen werden nass

#8 Susanoo

Susanoo

Maegashira

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts

Posted 10 November 2004 - 13:39

I think that Chiyotenzan is most unique rikishi in the present sekitori.
He hardly uses Atari at Tachiai, Oshi, Yori, and the basic work of sumo.
Therefore, pains are taken for me to remember how he won.
I can remember easily the scene in which he reversed on his back by Koshikudake repeatedly, and lost.

A rikishi's image which many people visualize points to a rikishi's forcibleness and animateness in many cases.
He is the rikishi located in the opposite poles of the image surely.
However, I do not deny that his unwilling condition in present is what is depended on illness and an injury.

The person who looked at his present Sumo may think that weight training is required for him.
However, those who know Sumo of his past should not think so.
He showed us the high level of his potential capability enough at the time when he was continuously awarded Sansho from the time of Shin-nyumaku.
In Torikuchi at that time, the thing without Atari at Tachiai is the same as now.
However, he had the form of Kuisagari in a low posture like Aminishiki.
And although he was retreating, the throw from the disadvantageous posture in Dohyo-giwa was used, and, occasionally he let out Watashikomi.
It had farther than that present of him exceeded the softness of the body which absorbs pressure.
The quality of softness completely differed from present.
If I express the difference in the softness -- never -- limply -- it is not -- it becomes the softness which built in the tough spring.
He excelled in using the pliability of the body, and the form of the circle of a Dohyo.
However, I do not think that his Torikuchi of those days was perfect.
He chose Sumo always united with the waging partner, and was compensating it with the pliability of his body.
Even if he becomes a disadvantageous posture, he is blessed with the physical strength of only the nature which can be regained from there.
He was able to get a victory easily, even if it did not make a great Keiko.
I think that the environment has made exercise of him disagreeable.
Anyway, Torikuchi which attaches the spare time after being controlled by the waging partner is less than Torikuchi which controls a waging partner itself.
That is the big difference between him and Aminishiki.
Sumo of Aminishiki is precise and logical.
Therefore, he does not almost have moving the body meaningless.
He aims at always controlling a waging partner.
I imagine that Chiyotenzan has been easily fixed to Sanyaku though it had sumo to which he retreats even if, if it was trying hard in order that he might obtain the style of Aminishiki.
Although it is needless to say, the Torikuchi of Aminishiki is the result of very severe Keiko which progressed itself and was performed, in order to compensate the physique with which self is not blessed.

The comparison with Aminishiki which I have described so far carries out a principle [ the condition of the heyday of Chiyotenzan].
In the last basho, both poor health was clear to anyone.
As a result, I have noticed one thing.
Torikuchi is more alike for the direction when two of them are worse than the ironical time with sufficient condition rather especially. :-(

#9 Azumashida

Azumashida

Pom Poko beya

• Active Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 22:02

Is the scandal you are referring to connected to a bullying story from Kokonoe beya a few years ago? Can anybody describe that "scandal" - and how much of it was proven to be true - in more details? What I remember is that some deshi filed a complaint about it, but what has been established regarding the involvement of Chiyotenzan? And was there any sanction against him?

Quoting myself here, to underline the fact that I'm slightly surprised that no-one seems to wish to talk about that issue. Did I make up this story myself or has there been such a case in Kokonoe beya allegedly involving Chiyotenzan?... (Blushing...) (Eh?)
"It's not the destination, it's the journey"
Google search, February 23rd 2005, 11:59, 7140 matched documents (0,42 seconds)

#10 Ivan Sergeyevich

Ivan Sergeyevich

Sandanme

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 23:46

You remember correctly. As reported by Joe Kuroda (who might that be...) on SML on September 8th, 2002:

"Kokonoe Oyakata and Chiyotenzan are reportedly being
sued by a former riksihi and his father for five
million Yen for causing severe physical and emotional
sufferings at a Yamaguchi Prefecture Regional Court.

Accordint to papers filed at the court, a former
rikishi joined Kokonoe Beya in February, 1999 and was
promoted to Jonidan in 2000. He became a Tsukebito for
Chiyotenzan and then was alleged to have been shot by
an air gun after he was forcibly disrobed.

He also was beaten by a Makushita rikishi who heard he
went to the oyakata directly to complain. The former
rikishi also states that he talked to the oyakata and
his wife but the abuse continued.

He left the heya and quit Ozumo after he was told by
the oyakata to go home March this year.

The plaintiff added, "the dream of becoming a sekitori
has been taken away by violent behaviours of the
heya's senior rikishis and the oyakata who willfuly
failed on his duty to oversee the conduct of his
rikishis and failed to respond
properlly.""

#11 Jonosuke

Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 02:48

You remember correctly. As reported by Joe Kuroda (who might that be...) on SML on September 8th, 2002:

Man, amazing ! I can't even find it myself (Pulling hair...)

More frailer than the flowers, these precious hours that keep us so tightly bound

#12 Ivan Sergeyevich

Ivan Sergeyevich

Sandanme

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 04:44

The magic words were air and gun although I found them first in Spanish. (Pulling hair...)

#13 Itachi

Itachi

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 12 November 2004 - 17:11

He became a Tsukebito for

He also was beaten by a Makushita rikishi who heard he
went to the oyakata directly to complain. The former
rikishi also states that he talked to the oyakata and
his wife but the abuse continued.

Yes, there it is. This is what lead me to dislike Chiyotenzan beyond my ordinary dislike for those who show a lot of promise making their way to the top of Makuuchi only to have all traces of that promise vanish.

The reported incident may not have happened the way it was reported to be fair to 'Tenzan but if there is any truth in it, it reveals Chiyotenzan as a rather dispicable character.

I can appreciate that there is a certain amount of hardship that the seniors will put the young rikishi through and that that is part of the tradition but it seems that some take unfair advantage and get some kind of perverse pleasure from bullying.

I can't help but like Chiyotaikai so I transfer my revulsion at the incident to the next most senior rikishi in the heya at the time, he of questionable fighting spirit anyway, Chiyotenzan.

Itachi

#14 hoshidango

hoshidango

Maegashira

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 13 November 2004 - 08:59

I saw at Banzuke.com a match against Musashimaru in which he does uwatenage the Yokozuna- man he looked really strong then. Now he moves like he lost half of the muscle...

#15 Kishinoyama

Kishinoyama

Sekiwake

• Active Members
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 18 November 2004 - 21:07

I had forgotten all about this.... Thank you all for the reminder. :-D If this is true it goes to show you how stupid people can be. I am assuming this case is still in the court system? (Spooky TV program...)
But behold, from among the righteous, he organized his forces and appointed messengers,
clothed with power and authority, and commissioned them to go forth and carry the light of the
gospel to them that were in darkness, even to all the spirits of men; and thus was the gospel preached to the dead.

#16 Burainoan

Burainoan

Maegashira

• Archived Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 18:44

I had forgotten all about this.... Thank you all for the reminder. (Dribbling...) If this is true it goes to show you how stupid people can be. I am assuming this case is still in the court system? (Enjoying a beer...)

Most likely...as it will probably remain until one of the sides can be strong-armed into accepting a settlement, as that tends to be the Japanese way in matters like this. my guess is that if there is anything at all to these charges - i.e., anything solid enough to embarass the Kyokai and/or Kokonoe - then the two parties will likely announce having reached an "understanding," which is code for "no comment" money having been paid. if he's innocent, they may fight it, and that could take a while....
"You've got to have a sense of humor; look around you."
- Robin Williams

#17 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 09:36

Chiyotenzan's style is that amebic octopussyism and he has managed to twist his foe down first in a simultaneous throw even when Tenzan has been the one being thrown really. Really flexible rikishi whose power decreased quite suddenly couple of years ago (similar strength decrease as Tochinohana suffered, injuries, illnesses etc.). Chiyotenzan was said to suffer from high blood sugar suggesting to diabetic problems. Whether he got the "real" diabetes or the second type I have no idea. In any case he lost muscle and weight.

A mean theory it is that if those incidents of Tenzan's excessive aggressiveness towards deshi are true but by nature Tenzan is a gentle and nice human being, he could have gotten scared of his behaviour under the influence of steroids (steroid-rage often does scare some users enough to make them rethink if they really want to feel and be that way) and stopped using those, lost a lot of power and became a makushita rikishi in strength. Bad. mean theory and probably false but similar stories in sports are numerous and even more so in "recreational" steroid users' world.

Tenzan beat Maru twice in convincing fashion and in his prime was really strong in receiving the attacks from high aiminig oshi-rikishi which is no wonder since he had Taikai to train with every day. Young Tenzan was also one of the politests rikishi always helping his foes up and looking really humble and had this "I beat you esteemed seasoned rikishi-sama, it was truly lucky, I am sorry I was so lucky" kind of expression on his face when he bowed after collecting great bintsuke-sticky scalps and after dumping experienced rikishi.

Chiyotenzan also has wife and kids (1-3 I think, probably 2, kids that is, 1 wife dake)
The Core of Sumou is a very good thing always no matter if sumou is rotten or not.

#18 Jonosuke

Jonosuke

Toshiyori Equivalent

• Active Members
  • 4,370 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 14:50

Chiyotenzan also has wife and kids (1-3 I think, probably 2, kids that is,  1 wife dake )

You mean the one that he admits to ;-)

Acoroding to the most recent data I have, he also have just one son as well. BTW I believe his wife's name is Kazumi "和美". I don't know his son's name.

Edited by Jonosuke, 04 December 2004 - 14:50.

#19 hoshidango

hoshidango

Maegashira

• Inactive Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:30

Chiyotenzan's style is that amebic octopussyism and he has managed to twist his foe down first in a simultaneous throw even when Tenzan has been the one being thrown really. Really flexible rikishi whose power decreased quite suddenly couple of years ago (similar strength decrease as Tochinohana suffered, injuries, illnesses etc.). Chiyotenzan was said to suffer from high blood sugar suggesting to diabetic problems. Whether he got the "real" diabetes or the second type I have no idea. In any case he lost muscle and weight.

A mean theory it is that if those incidents of Tenzan's excessive aggressiveness towards deshi are true but by nature Tenzan is a gentle and nice human being, he could have gotten scared of his behaviour under the influence of steroids (steroid-rage often does scare some users enough to make them rethink if they really want to feel and be that way) and stopped using those, lost a lot of power and became a makushita rikishi in strength. Bad. mean theory and probably false but similar stories in sports are numerous and even more so in "recreational" steroid users' world.

Tenzan beat Maru twice in convincing fashion and in his prime was really strong in receiving the attacks from high aiminig oshi-rikishi which is no wonder since he had Taikai to train with every day. Young Tenzan was also one of the politests rikishi always helping his foes up and looking really humble and had this "I beat you esteemed seasoned rikishi-sama, it was truly lucky, I am sorry I was so lucky" kind of expression on his face when he bowed after collecting great bintsuke-sticky scalps and after dumping experienced rikishi.

Chiyotenzan also has wife and kids (1-3 I think, probably 2, kids that is, 1 wife dake)

Very informative stuff Kaikitsune, and funny one also...

#20 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 20:53

Update 20.4.2006

Chiyotenzan's career has been on a downward slope in 2005. He spent 4 basho in lower juryo with a joined record of 22-38 and twice had a 5-2 rebound kachi-koshi at Ms2. But in 2006 he has had two consecutive 2-5 records at makushita and will be outside Ms15 in Natsu banzuke. He is his old self sumo style wise but just a lot weaker than during his strong makuuchi days.
The Core of Sumou is a very good thing always no matter if sumou is rotten or not.

#21 Kaikitsune Makoto

Kaikitsune Makoto

Yokozuna

• Active Members
  • 2,934 posts

Posted 05 February 2007 - 14:59

Tomorrow Chiyotenzan turns 31. In Hatsu basho on day 12 he lost to middle makushita Takanoyama with shitatenage. In Kyushu 2000 on day 7 he defeated Musashimaru with a very strong showing. Takanoyama is great but he is light weight rikishi and not sekitori level, Musashimaru was yokozuna at the time and weighed 230kg. The contrast is kind of big. Please witness with your own eyes:

http://www.banzuke.c...shi_chiyoten.rm

http://www.banzuke.c...Chiyotenzan.avi

#22 Tikozan

Tikozan

Maegashira

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 14 May 2007 - 11:23

...and it goes deeper and deeper for him (Sign of approval...)
Now he's Sandanme 5e, and he lost again. What's his way? I think, he should retire.

In this thread you can find the video of his bout on day 1 at natsu basho 2007

#23 ryafuji

ryafuji

Maegashira

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 23 August 2007 - 21:09

Well he managed a 5-2 in Nagoya. Maybe he can get back to makushita. But it's a sad decline really.

#24 Kuroyama

Kuroyama

Komusubi

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 26 August 2007 - 20:07

Well he managed a 5-2 in Nagoya. Maybe he can get back to makushita. But it's a sad decline really.

But not, it seems, entirely undeserved. As the late, great Jimmy Durante put it, "Be nice to people on your way up because you meet them on your way down." You'd think sumotori would be conscious of this to some degree, since unless they make yokozuna they can always find themselves heading down.

黒山

#25 Bealzbob

Bealzbob

Komusubi

• Active Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 16 November 2007 - 17:43

He did get back to makushita for Aki but went 1-5-1, falling straight back to sandanme.

However, he is currently 3-0 at sandanme 27.
2010 Haru & 2011 Kyushu GTB winner :D

Favourites : O1e Baruto | M4e Homasho | M12w Tosayutaka

Adoptees : J3w Masunoyama, Ms1w Chiyootori, Ms5w Akiseyama

Honourable mention to : Kisenosato, Kyokutenho

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users